What's next for iMac? this....?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jkaz, May 25, 2005.

1. jkaz macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2004
    Upper Mid West
    23" HD iMac 2.5ghz G5 1gig ram 500gig hard drive

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2005
    Northern California
    They would have to increase the Pwoer Mac's price to do that, and they won't, so I don't see that happening.
  3. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2005

as a stock iMac. that will never happen

the only way you will see that config is BTO
  4. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2004
    Near London
    Next update will be pretty small again. 17" 2ghz - 17 and 20" 2.3ghz, probs a hd boost to 400gb standard, and maybe a new motherboard with a pci-express gfx (but i very much doubt it)
  5. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    I don't believe there is a market for this type of computer. If you wanted a large HD display you probably wouldn't want it tied to your machine. Besides, the dual 2.0 GHz stock model with a 23" HD ACD is only $3,498.00 - $500 more than your speculated price for such a machine. Plus with the PM you get expandability and flexibility way beyond that of the iMac. Also, you know the iMac wouldn't have those base specs. It would only have 512 MB RAM and a 160 GB drive stock.
  6. auxplage macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    I see:

23" HD iMac 2.3ghz G5 512MB (Apple is cheap on RAM) 400GB hard drive
  7. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    And a Radeon X800 XT in stock :eek: !!! + DDL video out for 30inch ACD :D
  8. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

May 5, 2005
    They've just been updated and already there's "wishlists". Don't you people ever rest? :D
  9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Why worry about what might happen? Its a great machine now.

Personally, I don't think they'll go to a 23" LCD. They might go to a bigger flat screen when they can get a cheap and viable OLED display. But we'll probably have to wait until they have a G6 or G7 in it by the time you see that.

10. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    Also keep in mind that the 2.5 Ghz G5s are liquid cooled, so unless they're going to cram that in there as well, I wouldn't bet on it.
  11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    are the newest high-end PowerMacs liquid cooled as well? i just didnt hear any mention of it so i dont know....

wondering if they will have to do a slight re-design of the iMac case for the higher powered chips..... but then again maybe not since the iMacs will be single chips instead of dualies
  12. Etrain macrumors 6502

Feb 26, 2005
    Land of Cleve
    Why are you guys worried about what the next iMac will be like? They just updated them like 2 weeks ago with one of the best updates ever! They made them an even better buy than the Power Mac! I have the 20" and it's HUGE, be happy! :rolleyes:
  13. jkaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2004
    Upper Mid West
    thanks for all the response.

after this latest update, i almost pushed the red button and got one.

the biggest factors were the standard ram 512 upgradable to 1-1gig stick for only $175

the 128 vcard.

i've been on 64mb of ram on my pm for 3.8 years, there was no way in the prairie that i was going to be a computer almost 4 years newer and still be thinking in similiar video terms.

the first thing that stopped me from buying this imac was also the 128 video card.

although it looked like an excellent card, i heard noone raving about it.

now i don't know much about video cards and hopefully someone can enlighten me, but...

i do enjoy a high end video game, i won't say which, and everything i ever hear regarding performance is:

video card

the ram and processor are easy, if you have mid of the road for hard core gaming, you are looking pretty darn good.

the biggest item of contention though, from what i can tell, is the video card.

boils down to this:

if you don't have a high-end video card, your performance potential is cut drastically.

i'm just going ballpark gut feeling on this, but i think it can cut your fps potential by half(when comparing minimum video card requirements to the top of the line out there)

i watched the boards here and at the game i play after the release of the latest iMac and didn't hear a peep about it.

what i was hoping for are raves about how finally apple's iMac has a video card that kicks butt.

i was hoping that i could buy the new imac and be able to brag about what a sweet machine and video card i got at such a sweet price

this is why i didn't make the call.

so i thought: what are the odds that the imac will have a 'hot' video card in the next revision?

i didn't think they were that good.

so: i looked at what the iMac does have:

standard bluetooth AND airport: this rocks

512 RAM : again it rocks

128 video card: does it rock? (without the high end gaming, yes it does)

everything else that is iMac: rocks.

where to go?

it took a darn long time to finally boost ram to respectable in both video and comp ram.

not likely to see a boost imo

hard drive at 250gig on the 20in, that's plenty

the processor and screens, awesome, how could i ask for much more.

os, don't even need to go there.

what could possibly be added to the iMac in a future revision to make it more appealing?

price drop? kinda just happens anyway

better processor? kinda just happens anyway

more ram? not needed, not likely

video card? if they have a high end gamer friendly card, yes

anything else?

only thing i can think of is 23in screen and HD

the day is going to eventually arrive where HD is actually very common.

i don't know where else the iMac can go.

do you?
  14. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2005
  15. Loge macrumors 68020

Jun 24, 2004
    Yes, they are.

16. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2004
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    Well the current 20 inch iMac comes standard with a 250 GB HD so I think they would stick with that.
  17. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    The 23" display is the next place to go. Screen sizes have been increasing steadily and the 15" is no more. I was amazed with the 20" G4 iMac came out, it was huge at the time.

HD is the next standard as well, the HD I can see now is spectacular. I think it will be a few years before the 23" hits the market though. The price has to come down a little more so that the 20" can replace the 17". Or the 17" gets really cheap.

When the 23" comes out though, I am definitely hopping on board with that one. But I don't see it for 3 or 4 more years though.
  18. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Unlikely to appear in the very near future (just updated)...but it would be one nice system!