Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm downloading the on-demand six episode season 1 of Fear the Walking Dead now from AMC.

A different feel from the original, probably not as good as the original, but I like seeing things fall apart vs waking up after it has all ready happened.

I've been watching "Deutschland 83" for the past few weeks and must say that I think it is excellent.

What is this about?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
A different feel from the original, probably not as good as the original, but I like seeing things fall apart vs waking up after it has all ready happened.
Yep, a different feel, but I like it still. The new show has promise and I'm quite interested in seeing 'the rest of the story' told. I also like that they're in L.A. telling this part of the story, where TWD is set in Georgia. Two different coasts, experiencing the same thing and seeing how they all react is fun.

Reactions: Huntn

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
….

What is this about?

Well, it is set in Germany in 1983, (is in German) and is about - among other things - the Cold War.

Specifically, it is about a young officer from the Border police in the old DDR (the old East Germany) who is persuaded/compelled to go undercover as a lieutenant in the West German Army (the Bundeswehr) where, on a stolen identity, he serves as an ADC to a General while reporting to his superiors in Berlin.

The period detail is excellent, (I spent some time as a student in Germany in 1983, as it happens), the script, plot and acting first rate, and the soundtrack very good.

Actually, I thought it had aired in the US last summer - apparently it was the first German language TV show ever to do so (needless to say, it comes complete with subtitles).

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well, it is set in Germany in 1983, (is in German) and is about - among other things - the Cold War.

Specifically, it is about a young officer from the Border police in the old DDR (the old East Germany) who is persuaded/compelled to go undercover as a lieutenant in the West German Army (the Bundeswehr) where, on a stolen identity, he serves as an ADC to a General while reporting to his superiors in Berlin.

The period detail is excellent, (I spent some time as a student in Germany in 1983, as it happens), the script, plot and acting first rate, and the soundtrack very good.

Actually, I thought it had aired in the US last summer - apparently it was the first German language TV show ever to do so (needless to say, it comes complete with subtitles).
I'll have to snoop about for the Title. Regarding The Cold War, set in the early 1980s, The Americans on FX about Russian spies embedded in the USA has been quite good.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'll have to snoop about for the Title. Regarding The Cold War, set in the early 1980s, The Americans on FX about Russian spies embedded in the USA has been quite good.

Yes, I have heard that The Americans was supposed to have been very good.

Re Germany, the point is that it was - quite literally - at the front line during the Cold War, and - unlike the rest of the Warsaw Pact countries, that there were two of them - two places called Germany. That made for a complex and complicated set of sometimes conflicting loyalties.

It also meant that there was a sort of special frisson between those two Germanies - for example, Willy Brandt resigned as Chancellor (or West Germany) in 1974 when it transpired that one of his own senior officials was (an East German) spy who was spying for the East.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I'd be watching Narcos if it weren't for my ISP giving their customers the run around for the past 24 hours. Fiber cuts pish posh.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'd be watching Narcos if it weren't for my ISP giving their customers the run around for the past 24 hours. Fiber cuts pish posh.

Tried to talk my wife into watching that. She was a big Soprano Fan, but I think this will be more in the gutter, an assumption.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Caught the last - as in the very last, the Christmas Special - episode of Downton Abbey last night (it was actually broadcast on Christmas Night but I watched it a day later).

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Started watching Master of None with the family, having heard good things about it. Scene 1 was not quite family friendly (oops), so we watched the first 4 episodes of The X-Files.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Watching an episode on TV of Star Trek: The Next Generation
Season 7, episode 23: Emergence
Strange images begin appearing throughout the ship's decks and holodecks. Data and the rest of the crew begin to investigate only to discover that the ship's computer itself is exhibiting the strange behavior as it begins to become self-aware.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Dawn of Humanity
Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 5.16.56 PM.png

Deep in a South African cave, an astounding discovery reveals clues to what made us human.
NOVA and National Geographic present exclusive access to a unique discovery of ancient remains. Located in an almost inaccessible chamber deep in a South African cave, the site required recruiting a special team of experts slender enough to wriggle down a vertical, pitch-dark, seven-inch-wide passage. Most fossil discoveries of human relatives consist of just a handful of bones. But down in this hidden chamber, the team uncovered an unprecedented trove—so far, over 1,500 bones—with the potential to rewrite the story of our origins. They may help fill in a crucial gap in the fossil record and tell us how Homo, the first member of the human family, emerged from ape-like ancestors like the famous Lucy. But how did hundreds of bones end up in the remote chamber? The experts are considering every mind-boggling possibility. Join NOVA on the treacherous descent into this cave of spectacular and enigmatic finds, and discover their startling implications for the saga of what made us human.

I'm streaming the video of it here to my TV: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evolution/dawn-of-humanity.html

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, two shows, both, to my mind, worth watching.

The extremely good Deutschland 83 recently started, - it is excellent and well worth watching - and Endeavour (the prequel to Inspector Morse) Series Three has just kicked off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.