Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Awesome, I knew Keane were gaining a small fanbase in the US, but I had no idea Franz were gaining popularity.

I wouldn't generalize the US popularity of a band based on my tastes... but yeah, they do seem to be gaining popularity. Take Me Out was quite popular here and seems to have introduced alot of people to a fantastic band.

Figured I'd run through another five songs. Sorry... this is just so much fun I couldn't resist.

Revolution - Bob Marley & The Wailers
My anthro prof freshmen year was obsessed with rastafarians. I felt it was only appropriate to start listening to reggae. Glad that I did.

WP - Matisyahu
More reggae (I love shuffle)... this time from a Hasidic Jew instead of a Jamaican. I like him just as much as Bob Marley.

Perfect - Guster
I find Guster to be very relaxing.

Drop That Sack (Rare Take) - Louis Armstrong
More Louis Armstrong :) Why can't new bands have such awesome names for songs?

When the Sun Goes Down - Arctic Monkeys
This album is so much fun. It never gets old.

calculus

Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
second go...

I've been enjoying this so much I've had a second go...

Coming Up - Cornershop

From 'When I Was Born For The Seventh Time' which was also home to the original version of 'Brimful Of Asha' - later a big hit in Fatboy Slim's remix version. Good stuff that I haven't played for a while.

Kickin' Back On The Surface Of Your Cheek - Enter Shikari

One of the B-Sides of the current single. This band are a particular favourite of young Miss Calculus and I like them too.

Telegram Sam - T.Rex

Wow! The first band I ever saw live - the week that this was released as a single! Still sounding great to these ears.

Long Life Love - Stereolab

A seven minute track from a Stereolab singles boxed set. I love them.

Sounds From Levi - Augustus Pablo

From 'East Of The River Nile'. Fantastic dub from Mr. Pablo who is one of my all time favourite reggae artists.

My iPod did really well this time.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Jinx - Green Day
Never heard this song before in my life. :eek:

Game Over - Koji Kondo
Sounds cooler than it is. It's just the game over tune from Zelda: Majora's Mask

Yoshi's Cookie - Koji Kondo
Part of a CD I got this past christmas which has all the mario music from the NES

Anxiety - Nobuo Uematsu
Part of the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack, the first video game sound track I bought off iTunes

Jumble, Jumble - The White Stripes
Never heard this one before either, but I do love the White Stripes

Um, can I have a rematch? This is not an accurate representation of what's on my iPod.

Edit: AHHH, I just went through the next 7 songs in the shuffle, the first 6 are from video games and the 7th one was Avril Lavigne.
I AM NOT A NERD!!!!!! Bear in mind, we're talking a total of 1871 songs in total on my iPod, so....

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
It's interesting that you have songs you've never heard before, ghall. I, for one, loves me some Jumble, Jumble. I'll follow suit and give a second go, too; this shuffle went a bit better than the last.

Your Southern Can is Mine - The White Stripes
Heeee... Love it!

Kiss Me - Sixpence None the Richer
Not much to say about this one. It's a top 40 hit that was overplayed, but I still enjoy it. One of those songs that points to my adolescent years.

Cross Bones Style - Cat Power
After being introduced to Chan Marshall's music a few years ago, I must say that she's become warmly received to my iPod. This is the first iTunes song I purchased, and it catapulted me into finding more of hers.

Forever For Her (Is Over For Me) - The White Stripes
Seeing as though a quarter of my iPod's songs are either live or studio/b-side iterations of the White Stripes, it makes sense to see another.

Revolution - The Beatles
I have to say that I've dragged my feet on listening to The Beatles. My conception of their music, and when I heard this song that conception just melted away. What an amazing band and piece of songwriting.

What a fun thread! :)

calculus

Original poster
Dec 12, 2005

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Go on then, I'll play... :)

The following are the first five random picks from my iPod, which contains my entire iTunes library minus some of Miss Jaffa Cake's more, ahem, dubious tracks.

Friday I'm In Love – The Cure
A classic Cure track to begin with, then. No complaints so far.

Tied Up Too Tight (Live Version) – Hard-Fi
I'm quite into Hard-Fi at the moment, and I'm always a sucker for alternative versions of songs I like.

Get Myself Arrested – Gomez
One of my favourite Gomez tracks – and one of the most frequently played of all the songs in my iTunes library.

There She Goes Again – The Velvet Underground
A little dark perhaps, but quite a nice little tune none the less. If memory serves, I got it on a compilation CD a friend sent me...

All I Want For Christmas Is A Dukla Prague Away Kit (Live Version) – Half Man Half BiscuitQuite apt given my 'tar, I suppose – teenage angst meets Subbuteo.

So there you go.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I Breathe In, I Breathe Out- Chris Cagle

I normally adore Chris Cagle. but a friend got me this song. Go figure it's the one song of his I don't like. It's ok,I guess.... but I like his other work.

Chariots of Fire- Vangelis

Yeah, I was bored out of my mind that day....

Live Wire- AC/DC

Ah, finally a good song. This is a good pump up for me.

Lick it Up- KISS

Meh...I listen to it a lot, but I'm not quite sure why....

She's got balls-AC/DC

Look, I don't listen to every song on every album I upload.

Ugh...that didn't turn out so well.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
'Shuffling' my Nano...

Fade In That Blank - New Young Pony Club

I saw then live in November last year and bought the 'Ice Cream - EP' from the iTunes Store straight after. Great pop music.

Lovely Rita - The Beatles

It's The Beatles. It's from 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'. What more do you need to know?

Glosoli - Sigur Ros

The purveyors of the most beautiful noise. (It also had a tremendously affecting video.)

You Know What I Want To Know - David Kitt

I bought the album after hearing the single 'Song From Hope St. (Brooklyn N.Y.)' on Mark and Lard's Radio 1 show.

Don't Die Just Yet - David Holmes

For me it's the standout track on the classic album 'Let's Get Killed'.

movieman76

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2006
First five songs on 30GB ipod on shuffle:

Wake Up Call - Phil Collins
Not really that great of a song from him, but love Phil & Genesis.

All I Wanna Do - Sheryl Crow
Great live rendition of this song from the concert in Central Park. This takes me back to the summer after high school.

Black Rock - O.A.R.
Awesong song, especially live. These guys are one of my favorite bands. If you ever get a chance to see them live, do it! This version happens to be from the 34th & 8th album.

Xerxes' Final Offer - Music from the Motion Picture 300
It's always a pleasant surrprise when an instrumental piece from a soundtrack pops up, especially when not expecting. Nice track from a fantastic movie.

Bold As Love - John Mayer
Great bluesy track from Continuum. Not a bad track on this whole album.

Glad none of the embarassing stuff that can be found on my iPod popped up.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
On my 2G revB Silver Shuffle today...

All I Really Want - Jagged Little Pill Acoustic - Alanis Morisette
The violin and sitar are exquisite

Radiation Vibe - Fountains of Wayne - Fountains of Wayne
Pure pop for the people.

Scarlet Begonias > Touch of Grey > Fire on the Mountain - Greek Theatre 7/13/94 - Grateful Dead
The off-the-cuff transitions are just exquisite, as are the reactions from the crowd.

Cello Suite #1 In G, S 1007 - Bach: Six Suites For Unaccompanied Cello - Yo-Yo Ma
Chillingly beautiful.

I Know Why - Wildflower (ripped from the acoustic DVD) - Sheryl Crow
I can't understand why this version wasn't released as an audio track. Beautiful.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
The Hush - Texas
- Woot! Texas is my favourite band. Not very well known in North America, which is a real real shame.

The Red Flower of Tachai Blooms Everywhere - Steve Hackett
- no idea what this song is or how it got on my iPod.

Candle in the Wind - Elton John
- Marilyn Monroe rocks. So does Princess Diana

This Magic Moment - The Drifters
- I love old classics from the 50's 60's and early 70's. Those old farts had great musical tastes.

Audio Delite - Black Eyed Peas
- from their remix album, not very good.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Ashes of the Wake - Lamb of God
off to a nice mellow start here;)

Arabesque Intro - Pierre Moerlen's Gong
nice jazzy prog track from my favorite version of Gong, sans Daevid Allen

O.A.O - Material
my first exposure to Bill Laswell, and a keeper

Party Hard - Andrew W.K.
makes me want to run out into the street and stop a car with my fist

Burning My Soul - Dream Theater
love that double bass drumming, Mr. Portnoy

all in all, nothing embarrassing in there. <whew!>:)

Sensfan67

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
All Along The Watchtower
Jimi Hendrix
Cool song, gotta love the guitar solo too.

Back In The U.S.S.R
The Beatles
This song is weird, but still kept me in with a catchy melody and chorus

Silver and Gold
U2
Great B-side, especially the live version. Love the guitar in this too, but, of course, I love Edge.

Comfortably Numb
Pink Floyd
My favorite song from The Wall. One of the greatest songs I think.

An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
U2
I love this song on Boy, I think it absolutely gives you that 3 in the mornin' Dublin feel.

apple1984

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2006
usa
Make Me Smile - Chicago
Great choice, crunchy horns, good beat, powerful vocal, all around fantastic song.

Bubbles - System of a Down
Ooh. . . I'm so very sorry! I went through a metal phase a couple of years ago. This is terrible even by thrash metal standards.

25 Or 6 To 4 - Chicago
iTunes must really love Chicago, apparently. Another great track.

Slip Kid- The Who
Here we go! The Who is one of the best bands ever, IMHO. Great overlooked track from their (also overlooked) album The Who By Numbers.

She's A Woman - The Beatles
Verrrrrry nice! iTunes has redeemed itself from the System of a Down fiasco. Great Beatles b-side.

islandman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
Lil Wayne - Go DJ
Sean Paul - Temperature
Isley Brothers - Contagious
R-Kelly - Fiesta
Trina & Lil Wayne - Don't Trip

phantasmagoria

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2006
UK
Five Years Dead - Motley Crue
Not one of my favourite songs, but I'm glad it came up as I was a big glam/trash fan many years back and still enjoy his kind of thing. Saw the Crue about 15 years ago and then again a couple of years back on their recent tour. They're still a class live act... :cool:

Debaser - Pixies
Along with The Smiths, the greatest band to ever walk the earth. As much as I love this, it's a little over-played and Gouge Away is my favourite Pixies song...

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths
I can't believe this one came up! No-one who knows me would believe I didn't cheat to get this one in. One of the most important songs in my life...

Forklift - Pavement
The early Pavement stuff like this was the best. This is a great tune, but then anything from the early these singles through Slanted & Enchanted, Crooked Rain and Wowee Zowee would have been welcome here.

Love Letter - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
I've been a Nick Cave fan since The Birthday Party, but this song isn't one of my favourites to be honest. The album it's off, No More Shall We Part, is actually my least favourite Nick Cave album. I wish The Ship Song, Tupelo or The Carny had come up instead so I could have raved about one of my idols!

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
Sure, I'll play. :)

Take My Life - Jeremy Camp
Ehh, this song got old and I don't really listen to it anymore. I heard it in the car on the way home from church today, though.

Savior - Skillet
One of those fleshed-out rock songs. It's also kinda haunting too. I still think it's pretty cool, although there's a radio remix of it that I like better. The remix takes the energy down a notch or two and has some extra verses and slightly different instrumental parts. I really wish I could find it and download it somewhere.

Can't Buy Me Love - The Beatles
Gotta love the Beatles :D. Not much to say about this song, other than it's catchy.

Suburban Home / I Like Food - Taking Back Sunday
From the Tony Hawk's American Wasteland soundtrack, it's a cover of 2-songs-in-one, both originally by The Descendants. Taking Back Sunday does an excellent job of charging this otherwise bland-ish song full of energy and senseless, screaming, headbanging-ness. :D

Poor Tom - Led Zeppelin
yes... Led Zeppelin came up in the last try :D. It's off the "Coda" album, made from unreleased Zep tracks after John Bonham died, and I also learned it was originally supposed to be on Led Zeppelin III. It's also one of my favorites. It's basically about a psychic guy named Tom (ain't no thing that you can hide from Tom), whose wife cheats on him, so he shoots her and he gets the death penalty. At least that's my interpretation of it, but I don't know where the inspiration for it came from. It's also got a really nice drumming part. :D

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Charlie - Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Red Hot Chili Peppers are probably my favourite non-rappers, and this is one of my favourite songs by them.

Spaceship - Kanye West, GLC
Kanye West at his usual high standard.

London Underground - The Amateur Transplants
A really funny song which is exactly how everyone who uses the tube regularly must feel. Here is a short sample of the lyrics: (children avert your eyes or get ready to have your small minds corupted)

What you smell is what you get
Burger King and piss and sweat
You roast to death in the boiling heat,
With tourists treading on your feet
and chewing gum on every seat,
so don't tell me to "Mind the gap"
I want my ****ing money back.

London Underground
London Underground
They're all lazy ****ing useless ****s
London Underground
London Underground
They're all greedy ****s I want to shoot them all with a rifle
LaLaLaLa
LaLaLaLa

Touch It (Remix 3) - Busta Rhymes, Lloyd Banks & Papoose
If not for Papoose, this song would only be ok, but because of him it is an excellent song.

Flo' Fashion - Sway
One of the biggest hits of the UK's best rapper.

The Jump Off - Mos Def & Ludacris
Another good song, but could you expect anything less from Mos Def & Ludacris? Rhetorical question, rap haters.

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
They Horror Cosmic - The Black Dahlia Murder
A nice death metal song. I just put the CD on there, so its the first time its been played on my iPod.

Gilderoy Lockhart - John Williams
Never listened to the song.....ripped a Harry Potter soundtrack, never listened to it.

Closing Time - Semisonic
Great song that reminds me of my younger days during summertime.

King for a Day - XTC
A catchy song thats poppy enough to clash with my regular metal.

Anuerysm - Nirvana
I like the beginning part of the song. The rest of it after about a minute, I'll just change it.

fryegirl

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2007
elk grove, ca
Truffle Shuffle

:apple:
hi all! first post :)

Nights In White Satin
moody blues
not my favorite song to choose from, but its on there for some reason :confused:

With Or Without You
U2
The ultimate breakup song :(

Oompa Loompa
Harry Connick, Jr. (songs I heard CD)
Coolest CD i have heard, an adults rendition of the songs i liked as a little girl of sorts :)

Steve's Last Night In Town
Ben Folds Five
Greatest CD that i can listen to over and over again and it never gets boring

Jack-Ass
Beck
aaah. my ex husband.

Ok, back to work.. the store's back up.

eluk

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2006
East London, UK
I use shuffle nearly all the time.

Natchez Burning
Howlin' Wolf
Not heard that for a while.

Just Like The Devil
Chilli Willi & The Red Hot Peppers
Original R&B from the sixties

Roll Away The Stone
Mott the Hoople
A classic

Buff's Bar Blues
The Sensational Alex Harvey Band
They were a great live band

Going Up To The Country, Paint My Mailbox Blue
Taj Mahal
One of my favourite artists

Disappointed not to get Tom Waits out of 148 tracks. Mule Variations being my particular favourite.

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
Wheel of Fortune Hans Zimmer Pirates of the Caribbean
I swear this was the first thing shuffled up. I listen to it daily. Best. Sprinting. Music. EVER
Black Satin Miles David Finding Forrester
Haven't heard it for a while. Any rendering by Miles David is a must. Brain, body, soul. From a great soundtrack.
The Cigar And The Man Who Smoked It, Ramachandra Borcar Presents The Stacked Deck, Steel And Glass (Original Soundtrack To The Film "Regular Or Super"
I like the noirish take on electronica/jazz and better than his Ramasutra-titled work as DJ Ram. A local (Montreal) gem, not to be found on iTunes. Too bad.
True Colors Cyndi Lauper The Body Acoustic
Beautiful lyrics awsomely sung
The Car Song The Cat Empire Two Shoes Special Edition
Why this is genre-ed as Rock I don't know. Has more of an alternative/jazzy/hip-hop feel to me.

elcerrito494

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2006
1. Sinead O'Connor - No Man's Woman
A good song. The only one of hers I like. Well, besides Nothing Compares 2 U, but that's a given.

2. Loving the Alien - Velvet Revolver
A good song. I like, but it makes me fall asleep.

3. Shine - Collective Soul
I've listened to them for years. One of the ultimate hard working & talented bands. Doesn't hurt that they are masters of songwriting, either.

4. I'll Take That As A Yes - Phil Vassar
Catchy, sexual. Great song. He must have the greatest voice I've ever heard.

5. Psycho Circus - KISS
My all-time favorite band, and this song is probably in the top 10 of my favorite. The KISS Symphony: Alive IV version is the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.