What's outside of America

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by poppe, Jan 16, 2007.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Ok this sounds really dumb. And well really it is, but still I am interested.

See I am in college right now so money is to tight to be traveling out of America and my parents never really had the chance to travel out of America. So the reason I ask is not because I'm ignorant to what is truly outside of America, but I would like you to tell me what is outside of America to you. Maybe pictures of the place you reside. Or what it is like to live in your country. Really this is just me being curious because people outside of my bubble are fascinating and I'd like you all to show me what it's like until I can one day see what it is like for myself.

2. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

yea i'm feeling the same as you.. who's to say you aren't your own version of the truman show!

my friend just got back from Australia and thailand, another from israel, another from italy and all over europe...

i'm sheltered, i want to graduate school then drive from my home in new york and just move to california!

3. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Does Canada Count? (Just kidding my Canadian friends! Love your country)

I've been to Montreal, Quebec (I'm missing the accents, I know). I went there just to visit and see Islanders v Canadiens. (Hockey for those who don't know) The people are extremely nice up there and helpful. (We did get booed out of all the bars we went to because we wearing our Islanders jerseys! Amazing!) It's a great place to visit. I doubt this post helps, but I'd figure I'd try. I don't have any pics on this computer, I would post them if I did.

RIP - Montreal Expos

4. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

That is fricken nuts!!! that is so many places. I just moved to California from Texas. I'm studying film and to me it is just amazing. Funny how all the people here really are just numb to Hollywood and everything that surrounds it while I am here and I feel like a kid in a candy store... I am dying... I'm a looser tourist.

The drive here was amazing. Going on the ole route 66 well sort of... New Mexico and Arizona oh man..

A classmate of mine though I have talked to him since orientation, he moved from New York to here. Took him 7 days to drive by himself.

Oh definitely Canada. I always wanted to see that place. Specially want to go snowboarding there. Oh man... I bet it's a blast up there.

Thanks for your replies its good to hear from others about this topic!

5. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Ahhhhhh a fellow New Yorker!!! I too have an obsession with California. My friend went there for New Years and now she's moving out there this Thursday! :eek:

Back to Canada for a second... I can never grasp why many Americans hate on Canada. If you want snowboarding Canada is your place my friend. I still want to hit up Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver etc (all hockey towns too if you didn't notice).

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I suggest..... anything! Get out of this country for at least a month! :)

7. ruutiveijari macrumors regular

Well I'm finnish and travelled so far to Sweden, Norway, Estonia, Russia, UK, France, Spain, Germany and Your country, USA (NY)... And a few more that I can't remember right now. So anything You'd like to know about these countries I'd be happy to tell You. Sweden, Estonia, Norway and Finland I of course know the best.

8. bozigle macrumors regular

I Born in France and got really pissed with French... at some point
    so right after i finish my studies i left for North Pole (Finland)... where i got pissed with some of The Finns...
    Now i have learn plenty and among other things that i'm not pissed with French or Finns (or any specific nation for that matter) in general but with those that never left their country and think that world best place is their country... without being able to see the drawbacks
    There is something about people who have been traveling for long time (expensive hotel and golf course or lying on the beach doesn't really count) and tried to understand a bit the culture and the country they are visiting. They are just more open, have more objective point of view that the rest.
    I think traveling is the best thing that can happen to someone for his personal developement

bozigle

9. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Australia is bloody hot and bloody dry.
    [bs]
    Everyone here wears a stained singlet and drinks beer out of the can. Kangaroos are the main form of transport, rusted Holden utes a close second.
    can other aussies add to this?
    [/bs]

10. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

We eat witchetty grubs and snakes (that's only if we can catch them before they bite us). Both taste remarkably like chicken. :D

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have met 2 Finnish people in my travels, and to me, Finnish sounds a bit like Elvish in Lord of The Rings. :eek:

Don't forget the shotguns in each house, the buck teeth, the racism, the boardshorts, and the sexual tension between Queenslanders and kangaroos, the broken families, the gambling in pubs, heat exhaustion, and Perth (the ass of Australia). Kangaroo tastes a bit like raw/rare beef (but more like raw horse), emu tastes fantastic, and crocodile tastes like chicken (and I actually had crocodile in Canada, not Australia).

Anyway, I'm from Canada, and I live in Australia. I'll move out when I graduate, but I don't know where I'm going......yet.

I have been to quite a few countries, so if you have questions about a continent other than South America or Africa, just ask. I can't show you very many photos because I'm 26 and have actually taken photos with film in the past :)eek: ) and haven't scanned them or anything. Wanna see photos of Japan? I just went for 3 weeks from mid-December to January 7th and still managed to keep my MacRumours posting rate at +10 per day. :p :D

12. ruutiveijari macrumors regular

There's a reason for that:

"Tolkien's High Elvish language, Quenya, was inspired by Finnish. Tolkien taught himself Finnish in order to read the Kalevala, a 19th-century compilation of old Finnish songs and stories arranged by Elias Lönnrot into a linear epic poem and completed in 1835 and revised in the mid-1800s."

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngbeyond/rings/language.html

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I have never really left the northeast but I want to travel out west to LA.

14. jonparadise macrumors member

A Londoner here myself, lovely city, very busy and completely bonkers most of the time, but there is so much history and sights to see, if you like that sort of thing.

One thing worth knowing is the price of flights in Europe is really cheap now, so you can use London or another euro city as your base and fly around for cheaper than getting a bus. (You can now fly with BA from the UK to most cities for around $60.00)

One personal favourite place to go is the Austrian Alps, truly the most beautiful place I have ever been. Stunning. Fresh air and snow. It does help that my friend owns a 5* Health Spa up there though. :)

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm right? God I'm ****ing cultured.

*leans back in his chair and sips a nice glass of Colt 45*

16. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

There are loads of cool places you could visit that are right on your doorstep: Cuba, the Caribbean, Mexico and Cental America, Brazil, Peru, Canada...

Or if you wanted to go further away, with the abundance of cheap flights around Europe at the moment, London can be used as a base for seeing Europe or North Africa on a budget.

(I'm saving to go travelling to India, South-East Asia, Australia and New Zealand at the end of the year, and I can't wait! Good luck on your own travels everybody :) )

17. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

:D spot on. And also, all of us wear thongs (i think the folks in the States call them flip flops) everywhere we go; i've seen business people around Melbourne wearing thongs.

anyway, I seem to have diverted the topic to an extent, so i'll say that New Zealand is a great place to visit. Once you get out of the cities, it's just amazing. Go there :D

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Gawd it's hot.

Everyone, the best time to see Australia is during late Autumn (April/May) and early Winter (June) - the weather is generally clear and stable and mild, it's the dry season up north and in the centre so everything's open and you can still go to the beach.

Now, if you'll excuse me I need to go drink another beer before the coppers find me without an alcoholic beverage. And you all know how much we Aussies hate cops.

19. Queso macrumors G4

If you really want to understand both where the USA comes from and get outside your bubble, there are two places you have to go. For the first, you should travel around Europe. It's so packed with history and if you keep your eyes open, you'll see all sorts of references that migrants took to your own country, be it architecture, language, or cuisine. Pick a country as a base and travel to those around it. Although the cities have masses to offer, try also to get out into the regions.

For the second, it has to be either India or the countries of South-East Asia. To see parallel civilisations with their own completely different customs, yet mixed with colonial infulences from the European empires.

The world is a huge place. I've only been to 19 countries so far (if you count The Vatican as separate from Italy), mostly in Europe. Get out there and enjoy it.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'd just like to point out here that at least one businessman in London wears flip-flops all year round, too. :)

21. Queso macrumors G4

Eccentric barristers outside the Old Bailey don't count :p

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Thongs,flip flops,jandals,sh*t flickers,whatever.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I thought I'd leave the jandals reference for a lapsed Kiwi to bring up... :)

24. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

pffft, up yours! haha Perth is the BEST City in Australia! best beaches and women in the world!! hands down!

25. Queso macrumors G4

Don't you lot start. It's bad enough listening to Sydney and Melbourne :rolleyes: