whats so bad about an amiga?

Discussion in 'Community' started by krossfyter, Jun 24, 2002.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

this it to parallel agreesters post on the "mac discussion" forum.

so what rocks about an amiga and what doesnt?

boring posts are relative. relatives are boring. blah blah!

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You mean the ameoba??? :D

What didn't rock about it... just about everything. How about the way they ripped off the Mac OS?? Apple even took them to court and won (I seem to recal). How about the way they just kind of went away?? When was the last time they came out with anything??? There was talk of them coming back, but I have yet to see it happen. They might have done some things well, but since they are a dead company, it doesn't really matter any more.

"everything is relative, and some relatives are things" :D :p :eek: :cool:

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

The Amiga was big because of the Video Toaster, a very usefull, unexpensive and reliable video editor.

It was like the Atari ST but based on video more than audio or midi. It worked with 256 colores when PCs only had the black and green and Apple had 16 tones of grey (if I'm not wrong).

The Amiga was a good option even when the PoweoMac 9600 came out, because was able to do the same and cost about $100 used.

Right now you can do about the same with a G3, but many people like the interface of the Video Toaster. It is a clasic, a good legacy from the 80's.

Personally, I preffer the Atari ST games.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Here was the last link I have for those dreaming of the new AmigaOne hardware...

http://www.compcity.nl/a1e.htm

Though people are still asking if the developer AmigaOne boards have arrived yet... so preorders may be risky.

On another note - Amiga is also offering rebates on the purchase of the AmigaOne with AmigaOS 4.0 in the newest press release.

http://www.amiga.com/corporate/062302-mcewen.shtml

5. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Amiga ROCKS

The Amiga rockes STILL in so many ways :-D

- Think of all the FAB Games!!! Turrican! R-Type! Dynablaster! Unreal! Shadow Of The Beast! Killing Game Show! etc.

- All the great Demos! From The Silents, Melon Dezign, Kefrens, Alcatraz YEAH!

Yes, in Comparison to OS X it is unstable ;)
    but it was nevertheless fun to use! Iß´ll never forget those Freezer/MOD-Rip Sessions :D

6. big macrumors 65816

big

I like my atari 2600 still, you people remember the original amiga's? oh yeah PONG, the first star wars game, dig dug, etc etc...back in the day

7. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

heh i see your using my qoute. cool.

so why did they fall of the face of the earth...so to speak? what do you think of thier current psuedo comback? you said they are dead....how you figure if the im seein these new amiga hardware devices...where am i going wrong?

8. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Atari!

The Amiga rocked because it was fast and way stable. And it was a great alternative if you couldn't afford a Mac. Personally I like the Atari ST better. I still use mine all the time for MIDI.

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Actually, yours was a bit different then that... :p :D

Since they have yet to release any actual hardware, I don't think they ever will make a return. There has been 'talk' of them coming back for years, have we seen any new hardware hit the market??? Nope...

10. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

oh it was! heh! i must be gettin old. dig it.

didnt that homeboy up there say they have new hardware out?

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

From what I saw, it's all just 'coming soon'... so is xmas and the end of the world. I'm not holding my breath for either though.

12. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay. well i thought i saw some cat up on the screen savers demo-ing some new amiga hardware.

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Pre-orders are not a release... They are just trying to get your money before something actually comes out (if it ever does). I don't place pre-orders (without release dates)... it's a much better bet to actually wait until it hits the market, or has an actual release date (same year, or within a few months) before shelling out money. MOST places that do pre-orders only ask for a tiny fraction to lock in a reduced price. Then you get one reserved just for you, so that you don't have to fight the crouds. Others simply want a verbal committment that you will place the purchase and don't want ANY money until they start shipping.

Still, I have heard about the new amiga pre-orders for a long time now, and nothing has yet to surface (as released hardware).

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes all well and good, with Computer City having their pre-order page up for nearly six months, but the boards are just now arriving in the developers hands.

How long do you think it'll be before actual hardware and the new OS ships?

But for those of you just salivating at the thought of a new Amiga check this out ->

http://www.amiga-anywhere.com/shop.php?cat_id=22&prod_id=41

For $50 you can buy a COUPON good for $50 off the purchase new AmigaOne and AmigaOS 4.

OOOPS - almost forgot you get a t-shirt and are entered into a drawing for the new AmigaOne.

They could have at least made the coupon a higher dollar value, especially for early adopters and die hard fans.

15. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter