What's so good about ACD's?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aaronw1986, Nov 25, 2006.

1. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Oct 31, 2006
    Hi all. I am in the market for a new mac, either MBP or mac pro. I would like to get a montitor, which would be second display if I go with MBP. Anyway, what is so good about them? They seem priced pretty much double to competition, and I am wondering if cinema display's are really worth it. Seems like you could get two 22" LCD's from gateway for the price of 1 ACD 23". Thanks for the input.
  2. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

Oct 14, 2005
    Ah yes...the search function...it works wonders! :)
  3. Boxer macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2006
    Overland Park Kansas
    I just purchased mine a few hours ago. I love it. Somthing about an all apple setup. The Dell was just fine, and some may argue in its favor, but I love my new 20" ACD. ITs beautiful.
  4. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Jan 22, 2006
    Clearwater, FL
  5. daze macrumors 6502

Mar 11, 2006
    San Jose, California
    Will you want to connect an Xbox to it? If yes, go for the Dell. If not, and you have the extra cash and care more about asthetics, then go for the Apple. I personally have the Apple Cinema 23". I like it, but I do miss not being able to connect my Xbox 360 to it.
  6. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

Aug 1, 2006
    competitors are doing a good job. but if you want you mac to be pimped out, the ACDs are beautiful
  7. daneoni macrumors G4

Mar 24, 2006
    took the words right out of my mouth.
  8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    They are fantastic if you're watching movies, surfing the web, or even editing photos. However, if you want to print or publish anything and worry about colour accuracy......

I have heard good things about external displays from companies like Viewsonic though. Well, the colour accuracy is supposed to be better than Dell's 24".
  9. EricChunky macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2006
    Apple ACD is the worst thing ever made by Apple.

Just google "Cinema Display Defects" and you will have millions of results. I've bought one earlier this year and returned it after two replacements. (Light leaks, dead pixels etc.)

Dell makes ugly computers, but they are large WS LCDs are the best in terms of quality and value.

With DELL you will have TONES of extras as a high end monitor, even including Component ports that allows you to connect to your Digital set-top box (and an instant HDTV) directly. You also got USB hub, card reader, rotation abilities etc. Don't worry about Dell's "Banding Issues" in case you found it somewhere on the net, it has been all solved by a firmware update.

ACD? Despite the fact it looks good (when you put it next to mp or mbp, for the match), its a decent peace of expensive ****.

If people here saying ACD has better image quality, don't bother. They have been saying this for ages, even when Apple were actually using the same LCD panel (philips) as Dell's. Afterall, if u really want to go pro, u end up with Eizo or Wacom (lol).
  10. EricChunky macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2006
    Remember Steve said how much better PowerPC architecture was compared with x86? And overnight we got that XXX Faster switch promotion crap.

We can and have to live with the "Reality Distortion" in hardware, as we love the OS, why not try to escape when you have a chance of choosing your own display? Apple is a SMALL company with limited turnovers, it needs a LARGE margin to keep running. Dell is like, Wallmart, even if the only make $5 in each display sold, they made 5 billion by selling a billon of them
  11. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    I went for the Dell 2405 24" display and have never regretted the decision.

However, my primary need was for a large display to monitor DAW control surfaces with all the plugin controls etc.

For accurate color correction work, the ACD is supposed to be the better choice.

As the others have mentioned, it's been debated to death.
  12. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2004
    I've had my 30" ACD for two years now; best display I've ever had. I work in pre-press and the colour accuracy is excellent.