Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Besides the Jet Black color, which I like, the reason I didn't purchase it was due to the 128 GB of memory for a base model. Apple handled this well to intrigue the customer, if they wanted the latest color, it came with a price. 128 GB is way more than I require.

But I think that that's the capacity that a lot of people were going to go for anyway because it's a good deal as the next step up over 32 GB.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
But I think that that's the capacity that a lot of people were going to go for anyway because it's a good deal as the next step up over 32 GB.

Coming from a 16GB 6s Owner, I barely even used all this memory. 32 GB is perfect for me, being photos and 4K video takes considerable memory usage.

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
what's so special about the jetblack iPhone 7 for me?
one simple plain answer: grip!

Have owned every single iPhone starting 3GS and up.....this is the first and only iPhone ever made with such a phenomanal grip (out of the box).
Where the iPhone 6S and 7 (non jetblack color) feels like your holding a soapblock, this jetblack iPhone gives you this feeling it sticks to your hands (no sweaty hands :p).

I am using the jetblack iPhone for 4 days now (naked), no visible scratches.

Same here. Loving mine.

Reactions: Geert76

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
1. It's new
2. Apple made a big deal about how it's made

This year more than ever it makes sense to me. If you're going to get a phone that already looks almost exactly like its last two predecessors, may as well get the brand new finish/color to stand out the most.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Nothing. It's just how a bunch of rich people like to show off that they bought the newest and greatest iPhone. Its just about flaunting wealth, plain and simple.
So Jealous, so angry. Buying a gold one is ok? Since most go into a case want to try again?

Reactions: TechGod

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
I remember when the Gold color was high demand, that was only because it was a new color. Though why Jet Black?

Apple are responsible for this.

They made it their flagship colour. Used it in all marketing material. Gave it an entirely new texture to any other colour. Don't offer it in base thirty two gb size. And have almost zero stock in stores

So that's your answer

Reactions: Geert76

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Coming from a 16GB 6s Owner, I barely even used all this memory. 32 GB is perfect for me, being photos and 4K video takes considerable memory usage.

That's fine for you, but fewer and fewer people are able to get by with the lowest tier these days (which Apple knows), so as I said, I think that a lot of people were going for 128 GB anyway and didn't get it just for the colour.

cubsnlinux

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2015
I had the regular black for a week and returned it for a 256 GB JB 7+ The JB is the best iPhone I used bar none.

• The feel and grip is amazing. It doesn't feel like I am holding a 5.5" device. It is fantastic.
  • It doesn't have the metallic heavy feel of say 6+ or 6S+ or even the other 7+ phones.
  • The finish is absolutely gorgeous.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That's fine for you, but fewer and fewer people are able to get by with the lowest tier these days (which Apple knows), so as I said, I think that a lot of people were going for 128 GB anyway and didn't get it just for the colour.

Interesting. How do you know that Apple knows that? Have they directly admitted customers are in need of larger storage tiers?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Interesting. How do you know that Apple knows that? Have they directly admitted customers are in need of larger storage tiers?

Is this really something to bicker over? Seems far removed from the original point. But the fact that the low to mid tier transition is a 4 fold jump and that by all accounts the 128 GB models are in the most in demand suggests that Apple expects most people to bypass the entry level, and that many if not most are.

Reactions: Sunny1990

Fosty

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
Apple's throwing a bone to MP owners that haven't seen an update in 3yrs.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Is this really something to bicker over? Seems far removed from the original point. But the fact that the low to mid tier transition is a 4 fold jump and that by all accounts the 128 GB models are in the most in demand suggests that Apple expects most people to bypass the entry level, and that many if not most are.

Your interpretation of 'Bickering' is me asking you a question? Surely a two side conversation involves discussion, does it not?

Back on topic. You stated Apple Knows customers are able to get barely by these days with lower storage tiers. I asked you how do you know that and you replied with anecdotal superfluous evidence. That was my point. Where is your source for how Apple knows this?

It's not an argument. It's a discussion with a legitmate question.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
It's limited, new and of course one of the new ways to identify one has the iPhone 7.

I'm not gonna lie when the Rose Gold first came out it was one of the reasons why I went with it but really grown to love it that I got it again. 7 Plus 256GB.

Pre-ordered the Matte Black as well but Rose Gold came in first, wasn't surprised. I'm happy.

Reactions: Ds6778

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
People will always buy the new color... So people know they have the "new" iPhone.

nawoo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
What's special is the design and finish of the metal.

It hides the antenna lines and makes it look like one seamless block of black.

That's what's special about it. All the other colors show the antenna lines clearly, and you can see the color separation from the screen.

Jet black just looks uniform all around. People who appreciate good design will love it.

The extra grippiness is a big plus too

irod87

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
Reading this thread has convinced me to go back to my original choice and get the JB. Apple Care and IUP instead of ATT Next helped convince me why not.

werked

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
Sorry, my post adds nothing to the topic but I couldn't resist....
Nothing. It's just how a bunch of rich people like to show off that they bought the newest and greatest iPhone. Its just about flaunting wealth, plain and simple.
^^^^LOLOLOLOLOL^^^^
This was funny. Rich people?? LOL. You sound real smart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.