What's Steam?

Discussion in 'Games' started by tinydancer, Nov 20, 2004.

1. tinydancer macrumors regular

I have been reading about Steam, with regard to HL2 in several threads and still am not sure what the deal is. Sorry if I missed an explaination in an earlier post, but can someone fill those of us who don't know what it is in?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Steam is Valve's site that allows you to buy and download their games. I'm sure other sites like it will begin to pop up.

3. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Steam is not only the site, it's their content delivery system. You can install steam on any computer around the world (Windows) and then enter your password and beging to download and when that's done, play your games.

4. tinydancer thread starter macrumors regular

So, you never actually have a hard copy? Why is it better to download the game as opposed to just buying the disks? What happens if you want to uninstall the game and reinstall it at a later date? Do you just go back to you account and DL it again? Wouldn't steam be suspecious of this activity? Anyway, sorry for all the "?"!!

5. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

You can get a hard copy, but it's cheaper to download it.

Yes you can uninstall and reinstall.

They're not suspicious, only one instance of your account may be open and connected at once.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Plus even if you have the disc you still need steam to unlock it. Its not a short process.