Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Hey, I recently recieved this month's issue of Maximum PC (Yes, i know, no need to comment on it). Anyway, this month's main article was about building the ultimate home theatre PC. I thought, "Wow, this should be interesting" then i thought, "Ooh wait, its going to be windows.....:("
So my questioin is this, shouldn't it be possible to put OSX on a custom machine that I built? Is it possible? If not, what makes the hardware apple puts out, soo much different from everything else? What exactly is stopping us from building our own custom machines, and buying a copy of OSX to put on it?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
First of all, it is illegal; therefore, we are not allowed to discuss this topic on these forums.

It is possible, but very difficult. Apple has done a good job of making sure it's not easy.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
EricNau said:
First of all, it is illegal; therefore, we are not allowed to discuss the specifics on these forums.
really? is it ok to ask why?
or what makes it impossibe? not how to do it.

stapler

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2006
It might have been confusing initially but now the monotony and frustration has been pretty well-documented and organized into step-by-step manuals. Of course, it's still illegal, unsupported, and still awkward to install.

In the end you end up with an underperforming PC with no graphics accelleration, no official software updates, and slews of hardware problems that often stop you from even getting anything working in the first place without investing in new hardware.

Overall, not really worth it outside of some kind of a "it's mac on a PC lol" trick.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
EricNau said:
Also, IIRC Apple has a special chip on the motherboard and without it, OS X will not start (to put it simply).
wow, oh well, i guess that's the answer i'm looking for.....

stapler

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2006
I mean, go for it, but prepare yourself for a sub-par Mac OS X experience after going through the torture of installing it.

Oh, and if you have to dual-boot, prepare for more hell.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
stapler said:
I mean, go for it, but prepare yourself for a sub-par Mac OS X experience after going through the torture of installing it.

Oh, and if you have to dual-boot, prepare for more hell.
haha, i'd rather deal with windows :eek: haha

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
CoMpX said:
Because Apple said you can only run Mac OS on an Apple Macintosh computer.

Then the problem is that Apple's computers are not costomizable enough.. unless you buy a prosumer model, the only way to "max out" your Mac is BTO :(

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Xander562 said:
really? is it ok to ask why?
or what makes it impossibe? not how to do it.

Three big reasons:

1. Apple's EULA (that license you have to agree to before installing/running any piece of software,) specifically says that OS X may only be run on an 'Apple labeled' computer. The exact quote is from section 2 part a: (emphasis mine) "This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple software on a single Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so."

That means that installing OS X onto a non-Apple-labeled machine is in violation of the license agreement.

2. All Apple Intel machines use what is called a 'Trust Platform Module' chip (TPM) that the Mac OS uses to confirm that it is indeed running on an Apple system.

While it is theoretically possible to circumvent this, doing so violates the DMCA. (And no, I'm not going to tell you where you could find more about 'theoretically' how to do this.)

3. As all Apple Intel machines come with OS 10.4 Tiger on them, and on their restore discs, there is no reason to sell an Intel-compatible version of Tiger in stores. Therefore, the copies of OS X you can buy in the store only contain the PowerPC code, and cannot run on ANY Intel machine, not even Apple's own.

This means that the only way to acquire an Intel-compatible version of OS X is to either illegally download (a.k.a. "pirate") it, or get it with an Apple Intel machine, and illegally (against the DMCA AND license agreement,) modify it and install it on a second machine.

From a theoretical legal standpoint on the license, it MAY be legal to buy a new Apple Intel machine, REMOVE OS X from that machine (run Linux, for example,) stick an Apple sticker on a 'generic PC' (After all, the license does not define 'Apple-labeled'...) and run your one legal license of OS X on that generic PC. But you'd still have to violate the DMCA to get around the TPM protection.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
It all boils down to Apple being a hardware company. You want their software? You buy their hardware.

Unfortunately Apple's product lineup feels about 5 years out of date. They haven't ventured far from that grid Steve used to show to illustrate the desktops and portables for consumer and pro. There's room for at least 3 more machines in the Mac lineup IMHO, a media centre, an ultraportable and a headless mid-range.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I would like to see someone try that... only knowing that it will never work as well as it would on a mac.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
miniConvert said:
It all boils down to Apple being a hardware company. You want their software? You buy their hardware.

Unfortunately Apple's product lineup feels about 5 years out of date. They haven't ventured far from that grid Steve used to show to illustrate the desktops and portables for consumer and pro. There's room for at least 3 more machines in the Mac lineup IMHO, a media centre, an ultraportable and a headless mid-range.

Yes, five years out of date in comparison to what? It must be those new Intel processors.. :rolleyes:

Apple will add these machines when they feel they should, and if they feel they should.

if you dont like it, buy from someone else.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
miniConvert said:

You make some good points,
I wish they would make a media centre.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
My home is filled with computers. Have 2 macs and 6 PCs and I can tell you from experience, OS X and macs are HORRIBLE for home theatre. What worked out great in the end was a main computer with Windows Media Center on it and a dual tv tuner card installed. Then I have Xbox 360s hooked up to TVs that I want to watch recorded TV. ITs the BOMB. Works flawlessly. Eyetv on a mac mini on your tv just sucks as that was my old setup. The Windows MCE pc NEVER crashes and NEVER misses a show. I got 1tb of tv storage and can increase that to 2tb if I wish. I love it. Want to burn that show to a DVD no problem. Drop a blank DVD in the pc and hit burn. ITs great.

Apple really needs to get off the front row kick and do something as nice as MCE. So far nothing comes close.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.