Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
Diatribe said:
I understand your speed argument, I had the same. It's just that other things seem more important than 2x more speed to burn DVDs. Dropping the price... maybe but not by a lot, maybe $200. 64 bit won't do you any good unless you want to address more than 4GB of RAM. apps won't magically run faster...

So....why are you waiting? >.>

If you are.

dr427

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
Oklahoma City
I'm hoping PB's go down in Feburary I guess so I can afford one. The Macbook Pro just doesn't interest me yet (a) price & (b) rev a.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
cnakeitaro said:
So....why are you waiting? >.>

If you are.

Until I sell my 12". Not a second longer. I'm looking forward to finally not hear my fan anymore, being able to play some newer games on it, have the iSight built in so I don't have to lug it around, etc. They offer sufficient advantages for me to buy.
I was going to wait for Merom but that's the bigger architectural change. So Rev. A/B doesn't quite work here. We'll see as soon as some people have them. I will order it in march. So I'll have at least a month of user experience to base my decision on.

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
Diatribe said:
Until I sell my 12". Not a second longer. I'm looking forward to finally not hear my fan anymore, being able to play some newer games on it, have the iSight built in so I don't have to lug it around, etc. They offer sufficient advantages for me to buy.
I was going to wait for Merom but that's the bigger architectural change. So Rev. A/B doesn't quite work here. We'll see as soon as some people have them. I will order it in march. So I'll have at least a month of user experience to base my decision on.

Do you think the 17 inch, when its released, will be big enough for the 8x Superdrive? I want to wait for Merom, but i don't think I can make it that long, but I can wait a couple months, til atleast the next update in the line.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
cnakeitaro said:
Do you think the 17 inch, when its released, will be big enough for the 8x Superdrive? I want to wait for Merom, but i don't think I can make it that long, but I can wait a couple months, til atleast the next update in the line.

I don't think so as the 17" always was thinner than the 15" so I think they'll use the same height and therefore it won't be 8x I think.
I wanted to wait for Merom too but it just isn't that big of a leap and it is a pretty big architectural change so there are quite a few unknown variables.
And I don't think the next update will be until August or so. And if you wait that long you might as well wait until February next year until iLife 07 comes preloaded and Leopard is out.

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
Diatribe said:
I don't think so as the 17" always was thinner than the 15" so I think they'll use the same height and therefore it won't be 8x I think.
I wanted to wait for Merom too but it just isn't that big of a leap and it is a pretty big architectural change so there are quite a few unknown variables.
And I don't think the next update will be until August or so. And if you wait that long you might as well wait until February next year until iLife 07 comes preloaded and Leopard is out.

I guess we'll just see how long my iBook lasts...
*drops iBook down the stairs*
...Oops

Cause I really want a new Powerbook....

segdeha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Kerikeri, New Zealand
Oh, one more thing....

I'd also like the ability to drive two external monitors with any new MacBook Pro (gawd how I disklike that name) I buy. Anyone know how easy this might be (if it's even possible)?

EDIT: To be more specific, I want to be able to use the built-in screen and two external monitors as one desktop.

stoid

macrumors 601
Great news for you 802.11n waiters! The standard was ratified today! From what I can tell, it may be another 12 months until paperwork s completed and officially standardized, but devices using 802.11n could start shipping within the next few months. link

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
stoid said:
Great news for you 802.11n waiters! The standard was ratified today! From what I can tell, it may be another 12 months until paperwork s completed and officially standardized, but devices using 802.11n could start shipping within the next few months. link

This standard almost makes wifi network HDs feasible. I'd love to have an HD hanging on my Airport instead of my Powerbook but g is just too slow for that. Now n might be close to being viable. How much of a speed increase is it? And how far is it away from FW400 speeds? Do you know?

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
802.11n

"A final standard is not expected to be ratified until next year, with the first products following shortly thereafter."

So are we looking at 15 months?

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
cnakeitaro said:
"A final standard is not expected to be ratified until next year, with the first products following shortly thereafter."

So are we looking at 15 months?

2-3 years until there is a decent adoption rate I think. Which makes it some time away. One reason less not to get a Macbook Pro now.

segdeha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Kerikeri, New Zealand
802.11n

Diatribe said:
This standard almost makes wifi network HDs feasible. I'd love to have an HD hanging on my Airport instead of my Powerbook but g is just too slow for that. Now n might be close to being viable. How much of a speed increase is it? And how far is it away from FW400 speeds? Do you know?
The articles I've read (today) say up to 540 Mbits with 100 Mbits as a baseline. It all depends on the configuration. Apparently, this standard allows for connections to multiple access points, which obviously would greatly speed download speeds.

segdeha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Kerikeri, New Zealand
Diatribe said:
2-3 years until there is a decent adoption rate I think. Which makes it some time away. One reason less not to get a Macbook Pro now.
Well, if I wait 6 mos to buy and plan to keep it for 3 years, I may have some overlap with the standard. In my workplace, if we early-adopt, I could get a good two years of super-speedy connections. Granted, the local coffee shop will probably stay 802.11g for the foreseeable future, but 54 Mbits is fine for the occasional off-site foray.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I probably won't buy another Mac notebook until there is a 13-inch widescreen. I'd love to see pretty much all the Mac Book Pro features, in a 13-inch widescreen. Even drop the card slot and support only up to a 23-inch ACD, and I'd be happy.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
segdeha said:
The articles I've read (today) say up to 540 Mbits with 100 Mbits as a baseline. It all depends on the configuration. Apparently, this standard allows for connections to multiple access points, which obviously would greatly speed download speeds.

Thanks for the info. If it is closer to the first number an Airport HD would be quite feasible. That's pretty much the only reason I can think of why I'd like to have the new standard.

tjevans

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2006
I'm a wanna-be switcher. I'm so tired of getting malware on my pc despite keeping everything updated, not opening emails from unknowns, etc. What's holding me back is basically convincing my wife that we should spend between $1,500 and $2,000 on new computer with an OS neither one of us is familar with.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
segdeha said:
Well, if I wait 6 mos to buy and plan to keep it for 3 years, I may have some overlap with the standard. In my workplace, if we early-adopt, I could get a good two years of super-speedy connections. Granted, the local coffee shop will probably stay 802.11g for the foreseeable future, but 54 Mbits is fine for the occasional off-site foray.

I tried to hold off for 3 years, but it is 2 years now and I cannot wait any longer :D But as I said I think the timing is good now.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
tjevans said:
I'm a wanna-be switcher. I'm so tired of getting malware on my pc despite keeping everything updated, not opening emails from unknowns, etc. What's holding me back is basically convincing my wife that we should spend between $1,500 and $2,000 on new computer with an OS neither one of us is familar with.

Go ahead, the OS I learned to use on one weekend and got real familiar with in 2-3 weeks. So there's nothing to worry.
There is also my Mac Beginner's Guide if you have any problems/questions and to make the transition easier. Go ahead you will not regret it :)

Sogo

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2004
Diatribe said:
I tried to hold off for 3 years, but it is 2 years now and I cannot wait any longer :D But as I said I think the timing is good now.

You know, I hope I can get my laptop to last me 4 years. My laptop is going to be 2 years in several months, so i think i can last another 2. But let me just say, ill more than likely feel those gidders late 2007; since i want my laptop to last till mid 2008.

Omg, i just wrote that down and it seems so much longer than it did in my head.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
My PowerBook (15" 1.5GHz) will be two years old in about 3 months... but it still seems plenty fast for most of what I do, so I won't be replacing it anytime soon.

The other thing holding me back is money. I don't have any. :eek:

p.s. 500th post (finally) :D

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
1) It just doesn't feel like the breakthrough product I was hoping for (MacBook Pro).
2) Stripped some features (17" has the same thickness and IT has a DL8x Superdrive...please) And FW800 IS twice as fast as 400, and when you're transferring 30-40GB of HD video between hard drives and Macs, time is money and this doubles the time it takes to make that transfer.
3) Promise of Merom in the near future
4) No 17" version
5) Lackluster fanfare for a supposedly amazing product (presentation didn't seem on par with the "amazing" achievements of the Powerbook G4 or 12" and 17" PBs)
6) The name...Mac Book Pro?....Mac Book PRO!!!?????

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
My iBook G3 will be hitting the 4 year mark soon. I need a replacement soon. It was my first switch, and I don't think think you can really enjoy the whole experience of a Mac with 16 VRAM

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Sogo said:
You know, I hope I can get my laptop to last me 4 years. My laptop is going to be 2 years in several months, so i think i can last another 2. But let me just say, ill more than likely feel those gidders late 2007; since i want my laptop to last till mid 2008.

Omg, i just wrote that down and it seems so much longer than it did in my head.

Hehe, good luck with resisting the urge... :D I had my problems and it seems like I'll give up in 2 months or so. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.