What's that ticking?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SteveMcQ, Dec 28, 2005.

1. SteveMcQ macrumors member

Sep 5, 2005
    Is it normal for there to be a very faint, quick-in-succession, clicking noise when I do the trackpad scrolling? It kind of sounds like very faint crickets everytime I scroll. Of course, I only hear it when I'm reading late at night, but it's just...odd.

And what kind of battery charge capacity should I be expecting? After having had it for nearly two months now and having done the battery calibration numerous times, I'm still at 3800mAh. Does that sound low and something I can call up AppleCare with and request for a new battery?
  2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    What kinda computer you usin' over there?
    I've noticed a faint noise on my PB when I scroll, too. It's not loud enough to really bug me. It's completely harmless, don't worry...

And the battery thing... how many load cycles have you completed? if you used this it should tell ya.
    If it's a huge number, I can kinda see it MAYBE being around 3800...
  3. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    yeah, what she said. ;)
  4. SteveMcQ thread starter macrumors member

Sep 5, 2005
    I'm on a new revision 15" PB G4. Good to know it's normal. I thought maybe it was some option in the system preferences I wasn't seeing like and audio clue of some sort.

About the battery: I downloaded CoconutBattery. Here's what comes up:

Original Battery Capacity: 4400mAh
    Current Battery Capacity: 3873mAh
    Battery Load Cycles: 8
    Age of Your Mac: 8 weeks

How are those numbers compared to what I should be getting?

(And the program itself...can I just drag the opened zip folder's contents of the program and widget to the Applications folder? It automatically unzipped and it seems there's no installation, but it seems like a good program to keep.)

Thanks for the help btw.
  5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    Hmm.. mine's gone through 43 cycles (10 months old) and I'm still at 4159mAh. I would call Apple and ask them about it before it gets crazy.
    I don't know if a re-calibration would help, but you could always try that. (run it until it sleeps, then charge it up to 100%)

and programs on OS X are easy like that. You can just drag it to apps. It doesn't really need to be in the Apps folder.
    but for organization, I like to put mine there and widgets in the widgets folder.