Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

#1 change you'd like for iPhone 5

• Larger screen

Votes: 284 47.7%
  • Better battery life

Votes: 99 16.6%
  • iOS 6

Votes: 29 4.9%
  • Thinner

Votes: 14 2.4%
  • Faster processor

Votes: 17 2.9%
  • Improved camera

Votes: 14 2.4%
  • 128gb memory option

Votes: 12 2.0%
  • Near-Field Communication

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 1gb DRAM

Votes: 15 2.5%
  • 4G LTE

Votes: 98 16.5%

• Total voters

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
This image is not misinformed. I think it's a great visualization of what an average sized hand experiences with a phone. If you have larger hands and/or prefer larger phones, no one is forcing you to use an iPhone. When Apple designs products, they actually take into account the user experience, unlike other companies. A 4.3-5" screen might sound good on paper, but in real world usage, it just isn't practical for the average consumer. Not to mention the unnecessary fragmentation it would cause for developers.

It would cause no fragmentation whatsoever as long as the resolution was the same or scalable. It's great that the iPhone is big enough for you, but what gives you the right to say I can't want one suitable to my size? Or are only average people good enough to cater for? Why don't we take the average shoe size and mass produce those for everyone?

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
This image is not misinformed. I think it's a great visualization of what an average sized hand experiences with a phone. If you have larger hands and/or prefer larger phones, no one is forcing you to use an iPhone. When Apple designs products, they actually take into account the user experience, unlike other companies. A 4.3-5" screen might sound good on paper, but in real world usage, it just isn't practical for the average consumer. Not to mention the unnecessary fragmentation it would cause for developers.

I have operated the Galaxy S 2 with one hand and never found any issues reaching the other side. I am 5'11" so not your average "big" guy.

Saying that anything higher than 3.5 inch does not provide good user experience is like saying that a 50 inch TV provides worse experience compared to a 40 inch. There is no absolute user experience definition.

And it is misinformed if i can easily get my thumb to the other corner unlike what they show in the picture.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Unfortunately you've fallen prey to one of the most misinformed images on the internet. Are you a clone of everyone else? No? Then why would your hands be the exact dimensions of anyone else's?

The red below is my (approximate) thumb range (I forgot to trim the top, but you get the idea). Believe it or not, some people are bigger than others.
View attachment 327896

The person in picture number 2 must have the most freakishly long thumbs! My thumb starts in the top left hand corner of the iPhone as pictured in the first image (my thumb is about 6.5cm/2.5" long measured at a right angle to my hand). It then sweeps just past the top right hand corner of the screen before extending about an inch and a half to the right of device. I'd say the first picture more accurately depicts the average sized hand. My thumb would have to be about 4" long or more for the second picture to be true! The average size of a man's hand is 189mm long. Mine is 190mm so my hand is pretty much bang on average sized.

Last edited:

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
The person in picture number 2 must have the most freakishly long thumbs! My thumb starts in the top left hand corner of the iPhone as pictured in the first image (my thumb is about 6.5cm/2.5" long measured at a right angle to my hand). It then sweeps just past the top right hand corner of the screen before extending about an inch and a half to the right of device. I'd say the first picture more accurately depicts the average sized hand. The average size of a man's hand is 189mm long. Mine is 190mm so my hand is pretty much bang on average sized.

If you had read the post you would see that it's my thumb (approximately 8.5cm). Nowhere did I say it was the average length, nor did I say the green image was wrong about average thumb reach. I was simply pointing out that not everyone is the same, so the average doesn't actually matter to most people. You're lucky to be able to use the iPhone so comfortably, I was not so lucky and have moved on until Apple can provide an option that fits my hand.
hand.jpg

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
If you had read the post you would see that it's my thumb (approximately 8.5cm). Nowhere did I say it was the average length, nor did I say the green image was wrong about average thumb reach. I was simply pointing out that not everyone is the same, so the average doesn't actually matter to most people. You're lucky to be able to use the iPhone so comfortably, I was not so lucky and have moved on until Apple can provide an option that fits my hand.
View attachment 327932

The average does matter to most people, because most people will have average sized hands, that's the point! I'd say, don't expect Apple to cater for your non-average sized hands.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
The average does matter to most people, because most people will have average sized hands, that's the point! I'd say, don't expect Apple to cater for your non-average sized hands.

Actually no. If you have a 9 people with tiny hands, 9 with huge hands, and 2 with medium hands, the average will still be medium sized. There's no way of knowing what the most common hand size is.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Actually no. If you have a 9 people with tiny hands, 9 with huge hands, and 2 with medium hands, the average will still be medium sized. There's no way of knowing what the most common hand size is.

I'm sure Apple have done the research and hence we have the iPhone as it is. We all know Apple considers these things when designing their products. Going for average is the best compromise rather than going above or below average.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I'm sure Apple have done the research and hence we have the iPhone as it is. We all know Apple considers these things when designing their products. Going for average is the best compromise rather than going above or below average.

That's true, but why compromise in the first place? They have piles of money, why can't they offer a bigger alternative now? Don't make many of them and charge a little more, people will buy it. I hope Apple does some more research soon.

Anyway, this is a wishlist thread, no one said I had to make reasonable requests.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
That's true, but why compromise in the first place? They have piles of money, why can't they offer a bigger alternative now? Don't make many of them and charge a little more, people will buy it. I hope Apple does some more research soon.

Anyway, this is a wishlist thread, no one said I had to make reasonable requests.

Well they could do, but it's also not really in Apple's nature to offer many derivatives of the same product as that would spoil their supply chain economics somewhat. And I guess based on how successful they are, they probably see very little reason to change that strategy.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Well they could do, but it's also not really in Apple's nature to offer many derivatives of the same product as that would spoil their supply chain economics somewhat. And I guess based on how successful they are, they probably see very little reason to change that strategy.

Except that they offer 2 or more versions of almost all their products. iMacs, Mac Pros, Macbook Pros, Cinema displays, keyboards, iPods. Why should the iPhone be different? It'll be the same components with the exception of the display and chassis, surely they can't be hard to enlarge.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Except that they offer 2 or more versions of almost all their products. iMacs, Mac Pros, Macbook Pros, Cinema displays, keyboards, iPods. Why should the iPhone be different? It'll be the same components with the exception of the display and chassis, surely they can't be hard to enlarge.

I guess because they already offer 3 versions of the iPhone, and each storage capacity derivative too? I'm sure Apple could easily do it if they wanted to, but I suspect they are choosing not to for whatever reason.

Kyrra

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
Now that "the new iPad" has LTE, the iPhone 5 will most likely get LTE. So that covers that feature. Maybe also means that the iPhone will lose its numbering as well and just be called the "iPhone".

crc4

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2012
Generalization = does not apply to all.

I will take 128 GB storage on board. Cloud shmoud doesn't do for me.

Most of us aren't using our mother's computers and don't have to store every file we own in our pocket :eek::eek::eek:

magamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2009
Better battery life. A larger screen is welcome too if it doesn't increase the footprint very much. A bigger capacity is good if it means a cheaper 64GB model.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Most of us aren't using our mother's computers and don't have to store every file we own in our pocket :eek::eek::eek:

So? I personally have about 6TBs of HDD space on my main computer, with roughly 3TB used. Vast majority of that space is used up by Bluray rips. About 80GBs is music (all ALAC). Also since unlimited data isn't really unlimited anymore, I want to avoid using cloud storage. 128GB would definitely be appreciated by me.

Not to mention that as long as iTunes (and iTunes match) doesn't allow me to get lossless files, I'm not using those services.

crc4

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2012
So? I personally have about 6TBs of HDD space on my main computer, with roughly 3TB used. Vast majority of that space is used up by Bluray rips. About 80GBs is music (all ALAC). Also since unlimited data isn't really unlimited anymore, I want to avoid using cloud storage. 128GB would definitely be appreciated by me.

Not to mention that as long as iTunes (and iTunes match) doesn't allow me to get lossless files, I'm not using those services.

Wow, 3tb, congrats
respect-067.gif

Do you feel compelled to hide all your files in your front pocket?

next - iphone 5s 10TB (movie buff edition) :D

Last edited:

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Tell that to the iPhone 4 owners who can't run siri or the 3GS owners who can't run iOS 5 smoothly. What do you not understand about having high end specs to future proof your phone? If the iPhone 4 had dual core like every other phone in it's time, then you wouldn't have such a BS excuse to have to upgrade to the 4S which was launched with outdated specs. It's not for bragging rights, it's to have your phone future proofed for more than one pathetic year. Just look at the GS2, it launched with world class leading specs. So now when it gets updated to ICS later this month, it will have absolutely no problems running ALL the new features of ICS. So are you begining to see the reason for having class leading specs? It is more than possible to have class leading specs and improve software at the same time. ICS and the GS2 are a perfect example of this. How can anyone ever argue against this. Does Apple have you all really that convinced they know best for you?
'

Apparently Apple does.

Steve Jobs said the 3.5" screen was the right size. I guess the 50% of the people here that want a larger screen are all wrong..

Gotta hand it to Apple's marketing team.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
'

Apparently Apple does.

Steve Jobs said the 3.5" screen was the right size. I guess the 50% of the people here that want a larger screen are all wrong..

Gotta hand it to Apple's marketing team.

Gotta hand it to Samsung et al's marketing teams that so many people seem to want a larger screen. It works both ways you know ;).

intervenient

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Bigger screen. That's it. I would love the choice for either 4.3 or 3.5 but if Apple was to make a bigger screen, it'd probably just be a single 4 inch model.

4.3 is the PERFECT screen size for me :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.