Whats the absolute Worest Low

Discussion in 'Community' started by carbonmotion, Jan 8, 2005.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Whats the absolute Worest Low You've hit in Your Life?

Ex. Someone once told me their absolute worest low was when their wife left them after 15 years.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

3. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

When I forgot to use spellcheck before I posted in an online forum. ;)

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Okay, seriously...

It would probably be when I got fired from a job I'd had for over 20 years. An altercation between me and a snotty employee. I gave back as good as I got, but I'm the only one who got canned.

I couldn't sleep for a week without drinking heavily. I'm still angry about it, two years later. I'd love to sue the bastards, but I don't have the money. (Lack of money is one of the lingering repercussions.)

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That's easy.

About 12 years ago... within the space of 6 weeks, I lost my job, my flat (apartment), and before I knew it, I was homeless on the streets of London with about £50 ($100) to my name... but then things got worse.

A few weeks later, I found myself in a hostel fighting off a crack-crazed junkie wielding a solid cast-iron frying pan... and that was before I got stabbed a few weeks later.

Aaah... the good old days.

Still, my life is back on the right track now...

So, the moral is: just when you think things can't get worse -- they can.

But, although at the time you can't see your way out of the s**t-storm, there is always a way to get things together. Eventually.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I was about to post regarding my stupid relationship mistakes (alluded to in other threads...) when I read this.

You win.

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Whoa. I'm not really sure what to say to this...but, I'm glad that you are back on track now... :)

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I had pretty much the same thoughts on this...wow. :eek:

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I hate to say it, but that almost reminds me of a bad movie. Good to know that you came out ok, though.

Worst low? Hmm... I'll need to think for a second, choose the best one...

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Thanks.

But good things did come from that 'interesting' period. Namely...

1) A thick skin and some highly-tuned assertive street-smarts.
    2) A sense of personal strength having survived that period, and finally...
    3) A highly instructive life-lesson on the meaning of friendship as 'friends' fell away like autumn leaves...

You truly know who your real friends are when your life goes astray.

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I have had quite many lessons on 'real friends'. It's obvious who they are as soon as something starts to go bad. Granted, I haven't ever reached a point in my life that I could really compare to what happened to you, but even in little situations, people who you thought were your friends get weeded out quickly. Real friends will stick with you. :)

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

London can be pretty rough. Well done for turning things around.

I don't really want to talk about my lowest point: it'd be too depressing...

15. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Sorry to hear about your past experiences, that did sound terrible. Good to see that you got many positive experiences and lessons out of it.

Some wise words for all. :)

16. AnewMac macrumors regular

Not so low as the guy who went homeless, but mine would have to be getting my powermac after waiting for 2 months to only have to send it back being defective. :mad:

ok, I know that isn't the lowest, but I dont want to dig harsh memories.

17. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

An absolute worst low that has hit my life happened during my first quarter at Community College during the Fall of 2000. My mother was diagnosed with lung cancer, which spread to her brain and caused a tumor. In the end the cancer cells spread to her blood even after radiation treatments for the tumor and the lung cancer. She died Dec. 06. That was the day before finals. At least she got to see me graduate high-school.

And a few months ago, my stepmother was diagnosed with colon cancer. This time it was caught early and she had a successful surgery to remove it. She is currently going through radiation treatment and chemo"therapy". She is expected to make a full recovery and hopefully the cancer will not reappear.

18. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I was going to post that I didn't pass my driving test the first couple times... :p

19. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I think calling BV a "guy" is going to be your "Worest" low.

20. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

I was going to post mine, but then I realized that they were so trivial compared to yours.

I'm pleased to hear that you got out of it okay. As for your last statement, that is so true.

21. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Right now is my low, can't find a job after college. I'm trying to get a finance job in dayton, OH but there are plenty of big companies laying of finance people, so the job market is full with finance people with experience. Anyone in Dayton want to hook me up?

It also sucked when I was going though labor statistics and found out the city I lived in prior to sophomore year in college had the lowest unemployment rating.

22. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Just wondering why you placed "therapy" in quotes. I feel bad for you, but I'm just wondering as to why you did that...

How true.

Alright, I'll share so I don't feel like I'm being left out. ;) :rolleyes:

Being given the "lets be friends" speech. Which made me feel like **** for the next few days. But a year later, we are good friends. Very good friends. Which doesn't quite compare to living on the street, but if anyone has heard it-- it sucks bad.

23. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    wow BV crazy story you have there. i do hope i never have to experience that first hand. glad you are alright now :)

24. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Are we talking about worst here?

Luke, use the edit button, it will guide when others have pointed things out.