Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
My modem/router keeps disconnecting, its not the line isp or anything in the house so it must be the modem/router so i am looking for a new one.

Things i would like
1) modem and router in one box
2) wired and wireless
3) gigabit wired
4) at least 8Mbit internet speed
5) obviously mac compatible

I am with Plus Net in UK if you need to know

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
timmillwood said:
My modem/router keeps disconnecting, its not the line isp or anything in the house so it must be the modem/router so i am looking for a new one.

Things i would like
2) wired and wireless
3) gigabit wired

i'd call the isp before you went out and bought anything. Some ISP force you to register your routers, and will kick off all unknown routers on their network. Also, when you call ask them for a list compatible equipment you can buy. The type of modem you get will depend on Plus Net, and will have a list of all qualified modems. You would have a wireless interference problem as well which would produce the same results. another wireless router or your or neighbors 2.4 ghz phone could cause the problems. This post will help with that issue.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/192473/

After you find out what channels other routers are on try adjusting the channels to a different one. 1,6,11 are the none overlapping channels and the ones you should try first.

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand

One of the places I do work for had this problem. After getting the telephone company technician to finally come around and look, he said it was the modem (free from the iSP) wasn't playing nicely with the newly upgraded ADSL2 line and gave them a new free modem (no doubt due to the complaining nagging of one of the women there) and it now works fine ... although they have also since changed ISPs.

Things i would like
2) wired and wireless
3) gigabit wired

I've been looking at the LinkSys models, but the wireless N router / modem is not a gigabit one. That means either getting their gigabit router and a separate modem or sticking with the non-gigabit Ethernet (which won't be a problem for me since there are no gigabit printers anyway, yet).

For no. 4, the speed you get is almost always limited by the connection outside your house and rather than the modem / router.

zorelina said:
Is it possible to share an ADSL 2 Meg Broadband connection with a house 8 miles away?

Yep, all you need is an 8 mile long Ethernet cable. ;)

coopermac

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
UK

Things i would like
2) wired and wireless
3) gigabit wired

If you are absolutely sure it is the router then I would go for a Netgear DG834G. They are dead simple to set up and if you have a dodgy line/sync they will hold on to the conection far more than most. It is a wireless ADSL modem with 4 port ethernet router and also has a SP Firewall, a must these days.

I have been using the same DG834GT in a mixed PC/Mac/Linux network for several years now and it is rock solid.

The 8Mbit internet speed is not down to the router but the BT line and exchange. The line will give upto 8Mbps (or more if you are on ADSL2) but it is an upto and will be governed by the length of the line to the exchange and the quality of it.

stuarthatto

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
You might well buy the service from PlusNet but the DSL is BT - they dont restrict the DSL kit you have - that would itself be anti-competitive.

I personally prefer to have the functions of DSL and router/firewall separated (call me old fashioned)

So I use a DSL modem http://www.adslnation.com/products/xmodem-m3.php which then provides me with an Ethernet cable for my firewall which has a fixed IP address. I happen to use pfSense but you could always use something else. My wireless is provided by a Time Capsule.

This is all a relatively complex setup but my needs aren't as simple as most. If you dont want this complexity then any DSL/Wireless Router from PCWorld would be fine for you.

I generally stay clear of Belkin because of poor reliability I have experienced from them in the past but D-Link, Linksys etc wold all be just fine for your needs.

Stu

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.