What's the Best Audio Software for making hip-hop beats???

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by zachotis7, Jun 23, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm getting a powerbook with dual intel 2.16 processors. What's the best software for making hip-hop beats. I plan on using an external keyboard & bass, and turntables. The three I've heard are the best are: ProTools, Logic, & Reason. Any answers? Thanks!!!!!!!

2. macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

ProTools and Reason would be my personal choice. I don't know why but I am not a big fan of Logic. Oh and I think you mean you are getting a MacBook Pro, correct?

3. macrumors 601

zimv20

the best is the one that is easiest for you to work in. that said, i prefer Reason for composition and ProTools for recording, editing and mixing.

4. macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Reason 3. You can do a lot with Garageband, esp with the jam packs.

5. macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I work with the exact set up you said, MIDI keyboard, Turntables, Mixer ect...

For me, I love Ableton Live....simply because I found myself being inspired by the software itself, working "live" in the moment,

instead of pouring over manuals and tutorials for ProTools....Logic is great too though, I like hooking Live up to Logic Via Rewire, and getting the best of both worlds.

But Ableton is......

All you need.

6. macrumors 68020

wmmk

Garageband is truly underrated. I have Live Lite 5, as it came with M-Audio keyboard, but I can't get used to the interface. Cubase is actually surprising good at beats. The included LM-7 sampler is good quality.
    Still, all in all, Reason is definitely the best.

7. macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Reason is good, but just as long as the Original poster knows he can't record anything with it, (like his turntables) then by all means, go with Reason.

8. macrumors 68040

Killyp

I use Reason on my PC to do audio...

You simply record the file with something like Audacity (you can play Reason along in the background if you want) and the put the file on in either a standard sampler (the two choices are the instruments NN19 or NNXT) or put it into a Redrum sampler (by far the easiest and much faster). It sounds quite scary if you don't know Reason, but all will be revealed if you get it. It's an awesome piece of software!

It can sound a bit 'thin' at times, but there are ways of making it phatter. PM me if you want to get more of a analogggyyy sound out of Reason....

9. macrumors 65816

beatsme

you should check out iDrum. It can be used as a plug-in with GarageBand or as a stand-alone app. Incredibly easy to use and also downright cheap. For the money it's WELL worth it.

10. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

And the purists will say --- not software at all, but hardware - specifically only an Akai MPC series drum machine/sampler/sequencer will do.

11. macrumors regular

12. macrumors newbie

Wow this thread is old! lol.. My vote is for DUB TURBO. You can make some sick beats with this software.