Whats the best backpack i can get for the macbook 13"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ljump12, Jun 11, 2006.

1. ljump12 macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2006
    Going to college; and i want something i can throw my laptop and books in; but i want the laptop to be properly protected....

What are your suggestions?

2. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2003
    I think the most important thing about a backpack for your computer is to make sure it has a padded compartment for your laptop. I didn't think about that when I bought a currier bag for my laptop. It wasn't padded and I ended up having to buy a padded sleeve for my PB. I did find a good padded backpack later.
  3. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    I have the Oakley Icon 2.
    Here s a picture of my bag... Click Here

It is really nice especially if you are in College and have a cramped up schedule where you cant make it back to the dorm so you are forced to take books with you. The boogbag was able to fit in 1.5 inch binder and two textbooks. The padding on the laptop was pretty good too. It was lifted so it doesnt sit on the bottom of the backback so if you slam your backpack on the ground, it doesnt get it. The inside gets a .5 cm worth of padding and from the outside it is approximately 1.5 cm thick because of the back padding as well. It has an easy access from the side where you can unzip, but can be accessed from the inside just as well.

It has alot of space as well. There are two pockets on the side. One pocket is able to fit all my cables, AC adapter, and a MS mouse in it just fine. The front also is very spacious. Almost too many pockets. Often I thought i lost something but in actuality, I just misplaced it in the front pocket where it can jiggle around and fall into another pocket.

One complaint/problem i have with the bag is that the side pockets is that they arent lifted like where the laptop is stored. I had my ipod in there and when I took off my backback and hit the floor, my ipod hit the floor too which made it crack. So the best part to put it is the front. However the front allow things to jiggle around too much that putting it in the front may expose it to the mesh at the front as well, which can provoke someone to try to mug you. I was thinking of going to a craft store and buy a zipper to zip it in there so that things wont jiggle around as much. Then it will be the perfect bag :)

FYI: I used it with my 12'' PB, but it was very roomy for the laptop. I think it was designed for a 15'' laptop, however it still works WONDERFULLY in my opinion. I plan on getting a macbook too, and I think it will work out just as well.
  4. DMPDX macrumors 6502

Dec 4, 2005
    Just checked that link from the US outdoor store. Are you in oregon/portland? And does the backpack have a dedicated slot for the computer?
  5. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    Since I love my Chrome messenger so much I would highly recommend a Chrome backpack, http://www.chromebags.com/messengerpacks.html which you could pair with the padded laptop sleeve from Chrome or some other sleeve such as a Booq. Booq also makes nice bags from the looks of it, but I've never actually used one.
  6. Anoi macrumors member

May 18, 2006
    Personally i've just gone for an Eastpak bag, and am using a sleeve as well :) Hopefully it'll arrive in a few days so i can test it out!
  7. ikonq macrumors member

Apr 30, 2006
    I <3 Crumpler Bags... http://www.crumplerbags.com

Right now I've got The Barney Rustle Blanket and a 15" MBP School Hymn.

Not a backpack so to speak, but a messenger bag. And A Very cool one at that.
  8. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005

That link that I gave was not the one I bought it from.I bought it from ebags, but they dont have it in stock anymore.

But no I am not in the oregan/portland area. In fact Im on the other side of the US :D

The backpack does indeed have a dedicated "slot." Its actually really nice because its somewhat elastic I think. So its always a somewhat tight fit despite it being designed for a 15'' notebook
  9. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

Nov 21, 2005
    heh this reminds me I have a dell notebook backpack that I scored as some free marketing swag. An apple macbook in a dell backpack now thats an interesting combination lol

I too am currious as to what is out there specificaly fit and avail for the macbook since I dont realy want to be seen with a dell ;) and will probably get something beter later when i have more money to spend on accessories.
  10. gerbilbox macrumors regular

Nov 30, 2003
    Get a sleeve

Get a laptop sleeve to protect your MacBook, and then put the sleeve into a regular backpack. That's what I do.

I think it's a lot more flexible option, and your backpack probably doesn't look like it's carrying a computer. I really don't like how backpacks designed to hold laptops look like they're holding a laptop; I don't want to walk around wearing a backpack that's advertising "expensive laptop inside!"

I have a sleeve from Waterfield Designs, and a large daypack from REI that fits both the sleeve+computer and my school books.

11. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    I have a brenthaven backpack designed for the 15" powerbook but works with my 12"er and i absolutely love this backpack

Best 175 bucks i have ever spent on a backpack thats for sure.

So much padding and so much space in it
  12. plutnicki macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2003

Not in college, but I have an STM Sphere that I got from radtech.us. Macbook fits perfectly in the laptop area, which is in the middle of the bag (Which I thought would be nice since it wouldn't create a rigid panel right on my back).

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I second all of this. Sleeve + regular backpack is the way to go, and waterfield designs makes great sleeves. It's what I've got, and I'm very happy with it. :)
  14. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Apr 22, 2005
    You can't go wrong with Crumpler products.

I have a sleeve and a backpack.
    The padding and protection they offer is awesome.

I live on a scooter, come sun, wind and rain (and in Cape Town all three are hectic) and I know my pbook is well padded, protected and waterproof, even if I am not.
  15. megsanrocks macrumors newbie

Jun 12, 2006
    I haven't actually seen these in person, but they look pretty nice:

www.heys.ca and click on epac (they sell them in the US too).

They have a seperate, side-loading laptop compartment at the back with a really thick padded base to protect it.
  16. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Sep 19, 2003
    What about the Timbuk2 Outtawhack Day pack? I have my eye on it for my Powerbook (then soon-to-come VaderBook). It seems to be versatile and yet keep the legendary ease of use and 'stuffability' of the Timbuk2 line.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

17. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator

Feb 18, 2006
    I just got a nice custom sleeve from booq that works great and I can put my computer in any backpack I want
  18. Ryan5505 macrumors regular

Apr 12, 2006
    Dont Want to look like a nerd?

Ok so all the book bags that others have posted look like the worlds biggest nerds, sorry I dont want a square box on my back.

Check out The North Face bag Borealis , this works great for my powerbook. It is offered in 8 colors

Front bungee system with reflective hits
    Utility pocket fits a laptop and hydration system
    Laminated backpanel with breathable mesh
    Hydration sleeve and hose port
    Tuck-away hipbelt
    Small stash pocket with water-resistant zipper on front, (store an iPod)
    Front pocket with organizer
    Dual mesh side water bottle pockets
    #10 YKK® zipper
    Safe-T whistle on sternum strap

My girlfriend uses this one

Large front mesh pocket
    Padded laptop sleeve
    Laminated backpanel with breathable mesh
    BackSaver angled front panel
    Tuck-away hipbelt
    Small stash pocket with water-resistant zipper on front
    Front compartment with organizer
    Dual mesh side water bottle pockets with reinforcement
    YKK® zipper on main zipper
    Reflective hits
    Safe-T whistle

These paks are like the best b/c you can use them for multiple things and can carry anything that can fit inside and still be comfortable on the back.

Also get a sleeve like others are saying, sometimes you may not want a book bag on your back. Also check out http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=1409 for GREAT sleves.

19. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    Are there any retail stores that sell laptop specific sleeves and bags? I wanna look at these things.
  20. Ryan5505 macrumors regular

Apr 12, 2006

Apple stores have the Incase sleeves. Best buy and other stores have the ugly bulky sleeves.
  21. merep macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2006

Im using a macbook...im using the eastpak provider bacpack...38 litres n still compact..u can put ur macbook plus 2 physics textbook..haha..it has alot of protection 4 the laptop..n it fits it nicely..comes in various colours..n the best thing is it doesnt stand out in da crowd tellin everyone uve got a laptop..it luks jus like a normal everyday square backpack...value 4 money 2..

heres the link.. http://www.ebags.com/eastpak/provider/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=58367
  22. iHeartTheApple macrumors 6502

Feb 13, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I agree. I just ordered an STM Loop in the large (17" size) because it has a lot of room and doesn't give the impression that you have a computer with you.

I have a Bitolithic sleeve for my MacBook right now, but to be honest it's not as great as I thought it was going to be. :( The color is not quite as bright and exciting as it looks on the website and the "screen protector" seems to be a piece of felt cut out with fancy trimming shears. I replaced the screen protector with one of the screensaverz from RadTech. Also, the construction of the sleeve itself leaves a bit to be expected. I'm especially disappointed with the "zipper protectors," which amount to an extension of the inner lining to beyond the zipper teeth, albeit a poorly cut and unsewn one. With sleeves like Incase and STM, you can really see the difference in quality...

I spoke with STM yesterday and they expect to have the STM Rebound and Glove sleeves (both of which seem to be much higher-quality versions of the Bitolithic) in the US by the second week of July. I'll use the Bitolithic for now, but I'm going to get one of the two STM sleeves when they're available.

Just my 2 cents...

Wow, didn't realize I went on that long about the Bitolithic...:eek: /rant
  23. jimmychoi macrumors newbie

Nov 18, 2005
    The STM rebound is exactly what I'm waiting for, but in the meantime I'm trying not to scratch up the macbook too much:mad:
  24. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

May 29, 2006
    Tampa, Florida
    I managed to find one of the last Incase Sling Pack's in Graphite and I frickin' love it - it's small but I am to put everything in it.. plug when I turn around I don't hit people in the head like a jackass anymore hah