What's the best CRT iMac bang for my buck?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by neoelectronaut, Feb 3, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, now that I have an eMac of my own, I'd like to get an old CRT-based iMac for them to use for Internet, word processing, and some e-mail possibly.

What's the best model to go with for the price? I'm looking to run my Panther Installation CD/DVDs on it so I can get it up and running. Any suggestions?

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: What's the best CRT iMac bang for my buck?

minimum I would get is a 400 mhz machine. because they come with firewire, and have a graphics card properly supported by panther (all 350 mhz and up iMacs do, but the 350 mhz machines lack firewire). they also are airport ready (not all generations of the 350 mhz machine are airport ready). From there its a matter of what deals you can find, whether you want the later ones that had Cd burners on them, etc.

3. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I've narrowed it down to these three:

http://www.powermax.com/cgi-global/generate_css_temp.cgi?p=c-u55009

http://www.powermax.com/cgi-global/generate_css_temp.cgi?p=c-u55043

http://www.powermax.com/cgi-global/generate_css_temp.cgi?p=c-u55011

Comments?

I'd like to get it sub-$600, if possible, and DVD-rom capability is a plus, though not necessary (though I think it's required for the Panther insall discs.) Ram isn't so much of a problem since that's easily upgradeable, and I suppose the bare minimum of HD space I can get away with is 10GB.

Hmm...decisions, decisions.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Suggestions...

How much was the price diff? 25 or 125? The graphite is a MUCH better deal, no matter what. More ram, double hd....newer model...

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

It's hard to argue against an eMac. For not much more money you get a brand new computer with four times the HD space, a G4, and a combo drive. This computer will last your family a long time, and give you the flexibility to use new applications. Unless you get a great deal from someone you know, I think you might as well buy a new computer.

6. dschwab macrumors newbie

I second the eMac recommendation. Although the pickings have been slim lately, Apple sells the refurb G4 800mhz for $579 when they're in stock, and the typical refurb Mac outlets sell them for not much more. A 700mhz can be found for a bit less sometimes as well. These lowest-end ones typically are only CD-ROM drives, not combo.

7. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Someone find me a link for a $600-ish eMac and I'll be all over it like bees and some sort of yellowish sweet substance.

8. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

look in apple's refurbished section

eMac 800MHz/128MB/40GB/CD-ROM/E/56K - Refurbished $579.00

eMac 1GHz/128MB/60GB/Combo/E/56K - Refurbished $699.00

eMac 1GHz/256MB/80GB/SuperDrive/E/56K - Refurbished Add $929.00

only the superdrive model is in stock right now so check back next monday and see what they have then

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

This link shows a lot of places to get refurb emacs for cheap. Unfortunately, the best place is the apple store, which is out at the moment. But they will get more, you can be sure of it.

Don't get a CRT imac. I know you don't need high end capabilities, but those are really underpowered/ overpriced at this point.

10. sigamy macrumors 65816

I totally agree with the others--try to find a low-end, refurb eMac.

That being said, there is a "Swap" email list at http://www.lowendmac.com. There are a few guys on there that put G3 iMacs up for sale pretty often. They typically have Rev D though (333mhz) and sell for about $125 - $160 depending on configuration.

btw, I just installed Panter on a Rev D, 333mhz and it is VERY usable. Even Expose works!

11. dschwab macrumors newbie

Actually, check back every day if possible, first thing in the morning. I've seen the $699 eMac on the site at least twice this week first thing in the morning, and they were gone fairly quickly. I missed one a few days ago trying to decide between it and a 1Ghz at a local store, but snapped one up today that I'll cancel if the local store has lowered their price.