Whats the best dell (22" monitor)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Moshiiii, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Moshiiii macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

22" monitor? Theres a few models and I can't tell a difference between them.

2. 925AS macrumors member

wrong place to post, as this is MACRUMORS

But I recommend a 30" Apple Cinema Display, but a 23" works as well.

3. monke macrumors 65816

monke

THE RIGHT PLACE TO POST. It's a freakin' monitor. God. At least it's in the proper forum.

Moshiiii, it really depends which size you want/need. I've never had a Dell nor an ACD so I can't really help you.

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

thats a bit harsh.
    Dell monitors are great, I just didn't buy one becuase well it wasn't apple, Normally this doesn't bother me but something happened.

The dells have more features and whoop the apples on price. They should all be the same just what ever size floats your boat. I'll check the site to see if anything might be confusing.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sorry there is nothing wrong with recommending Dell Monitors. there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. and in fact they are often recommended over the Apple displays since they're better priced.

6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Way to be a jerk. Tons of people on here have Dell monitors, as most of us don't feel like paying Apple's ridiculous premiums for the same panels that can be found in other displays. Go away.

Moshiii: Personally, I would stay away from the Dell 22. Here's why: it uses the same resolution as the 20" monitors, which means it has a coarser dot pitch. This makes for a less fine image because the pixels are larger. Maybe if you gave us some links to specific models you are looking at we could offer more specific advice?

7. chriscorbin macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

Dell monitors

what are you talking about Dell monitors are great and while the apple cinema displays are pretty they are insanely over priced i mean come on $2,000 for a display i paid less for my computer

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Do they use the same backlight?

I recommend you buy a 3ghz Mac Pro. I recommend my aunt buys one too. And my roommate. Stupidest response I've ever heard.

9. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

dell beats apple by a lot!

with dell you get twice more for twice less :)

apple should be replacing there displays soon

10. SavageLLama77 macrumors regular

When will apple replace its displays? WHEN? Please give me your best guess!!

11. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

No, you get the same display with a few USB ports and a plastic case that takes up more space for a few hundred less. It depends on what you value.

12. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

lol. Fanboy owned. And i'm quite the fanboy myself, but a more reasonable one :)

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

One thing though, having the same LCD panel doesn't mean they use the same backlight. Anyone got info on this?

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

To me it doesn't matter what the case looks like as long as the display looks good. They are all made in the same factory so its all a matter of price and do you want to pay for a name and a fashion statement.

15. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yes, to you it doesn't matter what the case looks like. To me it does. Also the backlight and LCD panel itself are two different things I believe.

16. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

the dell has all the ports you need to hook up game-consols
    that is aluminum and some plastic
    3 times more ajustable then apples

now i'm not agianst apple but they need to UPDATE THERE DISPLAYS!!
    updates should be before june 30th :)

17. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Your nose is growing. Why are you here selling Dell?

18. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Point of order here but there is nothing wrong with someone who wants to buy a monitor that is not sold by Apple. They all work the same and I don't see why there should be a big debate about who's monitor is better.:)

20. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Its also the right place to post because this is a PC rumor site(www.pcrumors.com)as well.

21. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

they don't all work the same, dell beats apple for now

i'm not trying to sell dell, i'm trying to help someone get the biggest bang for his buck. :)

22. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I have Dell 20" widescreen at home and love it. I ordered Dell monitors for work and expect to love them too.

The discerning graphics professional might find things they prefer about the Apple monitors.

However, as a software developer, the fact that I can rotate the Dell to see more code is a plus. The fact that I can actually adjust its height is a plus. The fact that I can plug in multiple items (many video inputs) is a plus.

Yeah, it's black and not aluminum. Big whoop.

To the OP: I agree that the 22" screens are a waste unless you really need the pixel space. The 24" monitors are nice (there's a Dell kiosk at the mall nearby), but are more expensive per pixel that the 20", so I'd recommend them if you need the extra resolution but not otherwise. The 30" is, of course, nice but also wicked expensive.

Same backlights? I don't know. I do know, though, that my 2-year-old 20" works incredibly well.

23. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

Thank you for settling this. :) :)
    Like I said, apple will have an update before june 30th

24. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I'll go out on a limb here and say my 22" ViewSonic seems brighter and more vivid than my 24" ACD.

25. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

But oh so typical of the responses here even on issues other than monitors where the comparison is even more apt.

Anyway, avoid the E's is all I can say. The Exxxx models use the cheapest panels available and are definitely for people for whom price is the sole deciding factor. Apart from that, you should be fine with a Dell.