What's the best Email Program???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mac2004, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Mac2004 macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2004
    What's the BEST e-mail program to use with my new G5 computer (Mac OSX 10.3)?

I was using Outlook Express and Eudora before. Eudora was nice but it isn't a free program.

Where can I read reviews on the email programs for Mac OS X?

I also like AOL's email interface.
  2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    The program "Mail" that comes with OSX isn't half bad.
  3. Mac2004 thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2004
    Outlook Express

Why can't I download Outlook Express now that I have Mac OSX??? I have old emails from Mac OSX that i want to read. I don't want to buy Entourage.
  4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    That makes no sense! :rolleyes:
  5. KeithsPuma macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2004
    Have you looked at the PC software from :-
    I converted all my Outlook2002 mails to importeable mailboxes with the above.
  6. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

May 10, 2004
    I Come From A Land Down Under
    I use the standard Apple mail program daily. It is less buggy than Entourage, and more user friendly than outlook express. I can't go back to using anything likt that now, as the Mail program is so user frendly.
  7. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    I use Mail that came with OS X (i think). Its perfect for what i want to do and its straight forward.
  8. Mac2004 thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2004

Eudora is nice too and seems to be very stable. It has been around a long time. Does anyone have any thoughts on Eudora?
  9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Mail, which comes with OS X is probably your best choice. It handles both POP and IMAP well (and rumors says that you can get plugins for some of the more popular webmail services). The only issue I have with mail for the moment is the inability to make rules based on type of attachement (so I could move all mails with .pif, .src, .bat and even .exe to a "Virii" folder).

First time you run Mail it will ask you if you wish to import mailboxes from any other clients. If you don't get that up, don't worry, you can import the mailboxes from Mail's File menu, just choose "Import Mailboxes" (d'uh). As far as I can remember it even imports your account data from most of the other clients, but I'm not sure.

Enjoy Mail... ;)
  10. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

Feb 20, 2004
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Me too. for practically the same reasons. However I must admit that gradually I'm being drawn to the dark side, and may find myself being enveloped in the superior functionality of Entourage 2004.

For now I am resisting ... but only just. :(
  11. junior macrumors 6502a

Mar 25, 2003
    I've always used entourage and have never quite gotten used to the little differences in Mail.
    Unlike what someone posted earlier, I don't find entourage buggy at all.
    Looking forward to the 2004 version.
  12. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
    Mail.app can't be beat. Best mail client for OS X.
  13. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I still can't get past the lack of a previous/next button when you're viewing an email.

Oh, and for the earlier poster--there's no OS X version of Outlook Express. That's 9 and before.