Whats the best Hybrid-Car?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Mar 23, 2004.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Whats the best Hybrid car out there? My parents are in the market for a new car, and I suggested they get a hybrid because my dad does a lot of driving (800 miles/week in grape season). I see that the hybrids get excellent MPG, and average about 600 miles to the tank.

So, what are your thoughts/suggestions for a hybrid car? Are they worth it? Do you own one?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't get the VW TDI, because you don't want to buy a car that has a long lasting drivetrain, gets rid of the battery pack, and gets nearly 1000 miles to the tank (stick shift).

The problem with the hybrid cars is: that they're basically city cars.

Meaning that long freeway miles kill the benefit of the battery recharge cycle in stop and go driving. Which is why a lot of people complained about not getting near the EPA rated mileage.

3. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

A guy in my apartment complex has a Toyota Prius and he raves about it. It is true that they more for city driving. The mpg numbers always read higher for the city like 48/47 (city/hwy) while the numbers on my civic are 30/38. I took a long look at the civic hybrid too but didn't pull the trigger. I read the hybrids don't perform as well during cold frigid winter months and if the battery goes it can be serious coin. Still, I'd do some research. My next vehicle will probably be a hybrid.

Nonetheless, the guy in my complex is selling his Prius because he told me he can buy a new one and take the tax credit and have it cover the depreciation on the old one - provided he sells it for a good price.

4. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i hear the insight is the best...with the civic being close behind (both are honda's)

the prius seems just as good though... all depends on styling and what you like better...

can't wait to see what the honda fcx does in the future... goes 220 on a "tank" but doesn't use fuel from what i can gather...there testing them in L.A. right now

all in all they seem pretty good to me. I plan on getting a hybrid...or a complete _____ engine they have that is not combustion when i get my next car (probably won't be for another 3 years)

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the Prius is the best if you need a bigger car because the civic is small and the insight is only a two seater.....do some research, each one can fit different needs so see what would fit the best overall and then test it out

6. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

I just received my Prius..I have to say its awesome..As one of the poster wrote before, the Prius really benefits from CITY driving...I was able to get 350 miles before I had to get some more petrol....I did TOO much freeway driving....
    Do your research, for my wife and I the prius was the only solution..Its a gas to drive :) Plus it has so many cool features (i.e., GPS Navigation, smart entry, blah, blah, blah)

P.S. The battery is covered under the warranty for 10 years/100,000 miles

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

8. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    the new (2004) prius seems to be the winner for now. the only downside to the prius has been that the real mpg doesn't reach the 50-60mpg claim. but it's still excellent at around 40mpg.

honda is coming out with a hybrid accord later this year( so the rumor goes...).

toyota is for sure coming out with a hybrid highlander in late 2004 and lexus will have a hybrid version of the 330 suv fairly soon...i think it's called the 400H. both should be very nice.

the tax credit for a hybrid decreases each year...it's $1500.00 in 2004, so that may be a factor.

my next car will be a hybrid for sure.

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

my dad just got a prius and my brother has a civic.

my brother gets around 50 mpg with the civic (it's got a manual transmission, so that helps. there is no manual option with the prius). my dad gets around 55 with the prius, though the in dash computer told him he was only getting 48 mpg... his math with the gas/trip counter told him otherwise..

as has been said, the prius is bigger and has more cargo room because the battery doesn't block you from folding down the back seats... it's basically a matrix with a hybrid engine from what i can tell. the civic is much more "normal". doesn't look like a space ship, looks like a normal civic. however, there are very few options... whereas the prius has about 6 options packages... with the top one including gps, cd changer (in dash) and tape, bluetooth for phones, etc...

the insight looks... well, heinous. but it does get about 70 mpg (supposedly).. only a 2 seater though. does your dad's trip go on a highway or backroads or what?

either way, the hybrids will still be better mileage than most cars, and the exhaust is far cleaner than most cars, and cleaner still than any diesel car.. as good mileage as those diesels get, unless you're using some good biodiesel, you're going to be spitting out some seriously bad stuff...

10. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i'm really happy that hybrid cars are starting to get more popular. there are so many positive points about them.

i mean so what if they can't go 0-60 in under 6 seconds...who does that anyway? might as well save even more money from speeding tickets.

i'm hoping the designs get a little better... i do like them but only kind of... i'm guessing in the next few years more will come out and the existing ones will improve. can't wait!

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

the prius, for sure. it's a great car, very versatile, and sexy... and it has options that rival (and are copied from) lexus. Once you guys try the unlocking system... you just keep a fob in your pocket, when you get to the doors they automatically unlock for you, and the car will start by pushbutton once you're inside the car. very cool stuff. my sister-in-law has a 2003 that she raved about, until the 04 came out and blew it away ;)

as for mileage, it varies based on the driving... but think of it as this: all driving done under 30mph uses no gas at all. when you're sitting at a stoplight, or in slow traffic, the engine never runs (except to power the A/C i think).

paul

12. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

[​IMG]

;)

13. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I will be going in to preorder a 2005-06 Prius Fall of this year which would make a delivery date of sometime in spring of '05 likely.

I've looked at the other options in the market and the Prius, IMHO, looks like the best of the bunch and, unless I'm drastically off, is outselling the other various hybrids and have a larger following. The three big complaints I have is that:

1. No sun/moon roof. I've taken quite a liking to having a sunroof in my car. It would be painful to give that up. Hears hoping they do some alterations in the roof in 05 or 06 to allow this.

2. Waiting period is painful. Depending on what dealer you go to you are going to end up waiting anywhere from 4-10 months.

3. WTF is with that pathetically small rear window? I thought the window in my Mercury Cougar was bad. It's just the side of being a driving hazard, IMHO.

Other then that it’s a nice car. But people have to keep in mind that being a hybrid a few things are different. Example. Cold weather driving. the Prius has a bladder that lines the gas tank. The intention is to keep gas vapor from being released. In cold weather this bladder shrinks. This has a few minor side effects.
    If you are looking for a primer to the Prius I would suggest http://john1701a.com/

First off John lives up here in balmy Minnesota where the term cold isn't used until it gets into the single digits. FYI it was –40* this winter up north near the Canadian border. So john is a good standard for how well the Prius handles winter.

Prius Photo of LCD with MPG in -18* weather

Photo of LCD with MPG in 0* Weather

Photo of LCD with MPG in 34* Weather

All in all I look forward to my prius and as someone pointed out Toyota has an 8 year / 100,000 mile warrantee on the battery. So its not THAT big of a deal. *shrugs* I'll probably get an extended warrantee which would obviously cover the battery.

14. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Heh, I just saw a Prius Hybrid on the highway yesterday. I was absolutely intrigued. I tailed him and I was surprised at how fast he was going. He was pushing 80.
    My old junker has a V6 and was trying to keep up with him.

15. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Hehe. I've read that going 100 is NOT that hard to do in a Prius. What's really cool is what is known as stealth mode on the car. Basically when you are going under 41 MPH (I think) the gas engine is off and its pure electric (Unless the car feels the need to have to recharge the batt in which case the gas engine kicks in.) When in pure electric mode the car is nearly silent. Great for clipping people in parking lots. ;)

WOOT! I got another 5,000 points! J/K

16. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

SiliconAddict- Thanks for the Prius links, especially the winter info (I live in Brainerd). My wife is looking at a new car, and I suggested this one, but I didn't know too much about them.

17. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

18. Scifience macrumors newbie

My main complaint with the '04 Prius was the back window...at the auto show, it seemed really hard to see out of.

Can anybody who owns one say if this is actually the case or not? Is it really that hard to see out of?

19. brianellisrules macrumors regular

I test drove one in the Fall and I found this to be the case. I'm not sure if it's the kind of thing you can adjust to or not though.

20. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

He drives on the highway, and in the fields (dirty mostly, bumpy) too. I think the prius is cool, but it looks ugly.

21. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

I own the 2004 model and I admit its hazardous...Very difficult when backing up..Jacks up your periphal vision....Still a great car, though... :)

22. Funkatation macrumors regular

VW Jetta/Bug TDI

Personally I'd get a VW with the TDI... gets near the same MPG as the hybrids, but its a diesel so its proven technology.. has 100hp on the new models too. Diesels tend to last longer than even regular gasoline engines, and I think service would be cheaper than a hybrid as well.

23. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I own a honda civic hybrid.

It is nice, environmentally safe car. It is the only hybrid I have experience with though.

scem0

24. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

The prius gets more peak torque than a ford expedition! hahaha, 295lb-ft! The wonder of electric motors. Of course unlike a gas engine, the peak torque for an electric motor occurs at a very low rpm, so the peak horsepower ain't that crazy, as horsepower is a product of turning force and engine speed... but still, that's pretty strong for low speeds. You should read motor trend's car of the year article on the prius.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/112_04_coy_win/index2.html

Even these hard core driving enthusiasts can admit that this is a sweet car. Car and Driver had a similar response. This car has a very sophisticated drive system, its really well coordinated, and even the gas engine alone is pretty sophisticated.

Don't think that what we see now is the only form hybrid cars can come in. As someone said before, we got the hybrid highland/rx400h coming along. Those too will offer more performance than the base models, while still getting better gas mileage. Ford's releasing the hybrid escape later this year, gets 40mpg and gets equal performance to the v6 model. Toyota's talking about a 300hp hybrid supra. I just read about a mitsubishi concept this morning, supposed to turn into the next gen eclipse. It has a 270hp v6 powering the front wheels and a 200hp electric motor powering the back. Of course a production version would definitely be quite toned down, but this shows you the potential that this technology has.

Hybrid tech makes a lot of sense. There's a lot that needs to be worked out before we can replace the gas engine, so untill then, lets just make it as efficient as possible. This tech just makes it so that you make the best use of the amount of gas you put in. I wanna see sports cars abandon turbo and supercharges for battery packs and electric motors. Give your engine a boost while at the same time spend less on gas.

25. Dave the Great macrumors regular

What about the Ford Escape Hybrid? I think Ford has the Focus FCV, too, that is coming out - uses Hydrogen cells.

Or if he is doing that much driving, why not get something that he would really enjoy like the chrysler crossfire or bmw z4?