What's the best iPod case?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dferigmu, Dec 2, 2004.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

It would be for the 20GB click-wheel iPod. I would like to get something to protect it, to an extent; just something basic. Is Apple's iPod Carrying Case good? Or are there better ones?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I couldn't agree more. I've got an iSkin evo2 for my 4G and I love it. Plus, it glows in the dark - not necessary, but cool. Highly recommended - all surfaces except the click wheel, headphone/remote jack, and hold switch are completely protected - including the screen. Only minus is that it isn't dockable, but that's trivial IMHO, and true of most any 4G case.

4. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

If you get a dock, do you have to take it off?

5. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I bought one of those once and the color was not remotely like advertised. I sent it right back. My new DLO skin for my iPod 20 just got here.

6. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple's carrying case

I just read somewhere that you can't control the iPod when it's in Apple's carrying case? Is this true? Does the Apple carrying case cover everything?

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes - you'd need a remote. Plus, rumor has it that the tag scratches the iPod case.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes, but I found out that, unless you're using the line-out, a dock is unnecessary.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Sorry about that. My color was dead-on, and the skin has kept it safe in some threatening situations (no scratches, bumps didn't hurt it, etc.). I'm sure there are a number of good cases. Apple's case just isn't one of them.

10. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Indeed, the fabric tag in Apple's supplied case does scratch the iPod exterior. I put my 3G iPod into the case backwards (with the screen facing the tag and belt clip) a few times and now it has two distinct parallel scratches down its face. :eek: I've been thinking of getting an eVo or eXo cover, but with all the scratches it already has (it's 1.5 years old), I don't quite see the point. Drop protection, perhaps?

11. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, that settles that. I am buying an iSkin eVo2 case. Now, to choose a color...white to compliment the iPod, black, or gray?

12. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Wait just a min.

You should check out the cases from Marware as well.
    The 4G SportSuit™ Convertible is a very good case.

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, if you insist on drab, get the glow-in-the-dark "Ghost" color. The glow-in-the-dark feature is actually cool and at times has been useful.

14. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

People's experiences seem to vary on this - maybe not all Apple supplied cases have the tag made out of the same fabric. I moved my old 3G iPod in and out of the Apple case over 1000 times, often backwards, and haven't had any scratching.

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I was just looking at those yesterday at the local Apple store and found them to be more than acceptable, especially with the belt clip. I was thinking to buy the white or blue for my 40 GB. The price seemed high but it doesn't seem any worse than others that are strong on quality.

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Do it! You won't regret it.

17. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

stretchable?

How much do these covers give? I ask because I'm looking for a new case to keep my 60 GB iPod photo safe.

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

They're quite stretchable, and the 60GB isn't all that much bigger than my 40GB, so I'd say it's a very safe bet a 40GB evo2 would work just fine, including the hold switch and headphone holes as well as the Firewire port..

19. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

They are mainly for scratch protection .. they'll take some of the grunt of a fall .. but they aren't a miracle either . .

oh sorry .. read the Q wrong ..

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Good point. But given the iPod's ability to scratch when touched by a gentle breeze, that scratch protection is a big plus. The display cover is an especially nice touch, as that's where scratches are most annoying.

21. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Bought the Speck, hated it, ordered the Exo2 too. Still using the Exo2 after a year.

22. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

According to their website http://www.iskin.com/store/I2shop_evo2.tpl, the "Size B" should work for both the 40GB AND the 60GB iPod Photo. So yes, it is a safe bet :)

23. dross macrumors regular

dross

I just ordered the Timbuk2 to use with my messenger bag as well as on my belt. It is small and simple.

http://www.timbuk2.com/

24. kjdenison macrumors 6502

Hand knit

my favorite case of all mine is my hand knit white sock with a grey top. I have quite a few hand knit ones though, but if to pick my favorite, and my suggestion it would be to knit your own. For the cold months its the most creative and personal way to go. For the summer months i have yet to really find anything innovative to my tastes.

Kurt
    www.kurtdenison.com

25. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

I shopped around and looked at what my friends were using but in the end I've been very happy with the Incase Leather Sleeve:

www.goincase.com/prod_ipod/prod_iPod_sleeve.php

I also have a blue Speck skin for it that I almost never use; I recommend sticking with something that protects the screen.