What's the Best Mac magazine to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GetGo, Jan 2, 2004.

1. GetGo macrumors regular

I looking to get a couple of Mac Magazines what are the best ones out there?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

MacAddict is a good one but they play some games with their benches, has a cd with all kinds of software every month. if you are a mac user its a must. Tell Rik i sent you.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

MacFormat, if you can find it. It's a bit expensive, unless you're in England.

MacAddict is good but has gotten thin. MacDesign is good if you're looking for information on design applications with a touch of Macintosh news.

4. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

iCreate is expensive but has good content, especially for users who are new to the iApps. In general, I find MacAddict to be the best value.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I wish MacAddict would get its benches in order, its one thing that bothers me for example Dec months issue had a nice article on the dual G5 2.0 but then they used some lame benches that expressed the performance of the G5 as a percentage above what a dual 800quicksilver did so rather then just give us the frames per second or the numbers everything was described as a percentage above the quicksilver meaning for all of users that dont have dual 800's these tests had little meaning. Even those darn blurrs and rotations were described this way rather then just giving us the seconds it took to perform the operation. Pisses me off. a Few years ago you could just look up your favorite app and compare performance of all macs running that app. then decide what Mac was needed for what you needed. Smoke and mirrors. Other then this and as others have stated ( getting a little thin ) it is a excellent resource for anything Mac, Apps, updates, game demo's, basic Os use,music,video and problem solving,etc. I give it a 4 out of 5 stars. Still wish they would have a page that showed every mac they have reviewed and then have a standard set of benches for us to compare. ****

6. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

I find both MacWorld and MacAddict pretty entertaining. I got 6 free issues of MacWorld by registering my PB... so I got used to that magazine. I'd say in the US both are solid bets.

7. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Many moons ago I use to read MacFormat, when you got game demos like F/A-18 hornet, and A-10 Attack

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I enjoy both MacAddict and MacWorld, and currently have a year's subscription to MacWorld. Just personal preference!

9. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

How many issues does iCreate have out? I've only seen issue one at B&N.

To answer the question, I much prefer MacAddict. They seem to be written with a bit more personality, and a bit less hardcore tec. Maybe it's just written for a different demographic. Try out whatever you can find, then decide on a winner.

10. edStar macrumors member

iCreate is a great magazine, lots of pictures for tutorials and a pleasure to read. It is expensive if you live oustide of the UK, I think its about $15 in Australia.

I buy the Australian Macworld which is a good magazine.

11. noel4r macrumors 6502a

i dont need to read those magazines. i'm sure they're all very informative but all the mac info i need are on the net, especially macrumors....

12. johnnowak macrumors 6502

I find MacAddict to be a bunch of zealots with little to no ability to write effectively. Even if its a clear win issue for PCs, MacAddict will twist it so it isn't. It's very childish too. It's also about five pages. It really is for mac addicts, in that scem0/macbandit sense.

MacWorld is a much better publication, but not without flaws either. I myself read neither. :)

13. jeff.macaddict macrumors regular

I like MacAddict alot, and while some people may find their magazine not to be the best, but still 'up there', I'd just like to point out that there are a shi† load of really crappy computer magazines out there. Some are more than 60% ads, and have crappy typeface. MacAddict is one of the nicest to read.

14. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I used to buy MacWorld Australia, it was a good read. I have bought Mac Addict a few times but neither grabbed me

15. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I think Mac magazines have gotten expensive anyway but I suppose you do get free software demos and stuff with them. Nearly all UK Mac magazines are £6 (about $10). I like MacFormat because it has lots of tutorials about different things and every other page is not just Photoshop. They have a good reviews section as well. I found MacWorld (UK edition) to be a little dull while iCreate is too simple - great when you're researching into getting your first Mac but not when you have one! I don't need a magazine to work out how to burn a DVD using iDVD!!!

BTW, iCreate is only bi-monthly so not many issues have come out yet. The latest one is issue 4.

16. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

On the PC front

Yes well:p
    I currently have a years subscription to PC PowerPlay, it's an Australian PC mag, centred on, Gaming, modding, expansion, and pushing your PC to the limit.

Has very little to no pro application infomation eg: Photoshop, macromedia, etc.. Just on games, graphics cards, general hardware reviews and what I mentioned before.

17. Photorun macrumors 65816

Photorun

MacAddict is good, MacWorld I guess is okay. Peecee mags I've sometimes skimmed at Borders or B&N totally suck showing what kind of lusers they have, we're lucky our mags are written and are more creative... but then again so is the platform so it seems to all make sense.

18. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Does nobody read macuser in the UK? They are good for news and reviews are always interesting, not much free stuff but it comes out every two weeks :) and the letters are often quite amusing..

19. niter macrumors 6502

Good thread topic. I have been wondering this myself. A big part of me thinks it might be a waste, as I could get all the information I need off of the Internet, but I do like to have one magazine.

Is there any one good Mac magazine to subscribe to? For the past four years I have been a PCWorld subscriber and I will continue my subscription because my fiance still is interested in PCs, and the magazine is well written. I like to stay informed on both sides and the peripheral reviews are really nice. Moreover, many of the reviews provided in every issue can be applicable to a Mac as they are digital cameras, scanners, monitors, etc. PCWorld is also very good to their subscribers.

I am looking for the Mac equivalent. The free copy I got of MacWorld seemed okay. And just that...okay. I purchased the only copy of MacAddict in the stores, the special edition one and I really enjoyed it. However, is this representative of the magazine itself, or is it just a special edition.

Does anybody recommend the special Panther issue of MacWorld? I generally do not buy such things, but I am switcher. Will it really help. The darn plastic wrap over all the good magazines in the B&N is really getting to me.....

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The special MacAdiict edition was just like any other except it did the 20th year of Mac other then that its allways about the same.. just subscribe to it and you will be happy plus you can take that Mag to the bathtub! try doing that while on the net.

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I have the Panther issue of MacWorld, and it is a good issue, but nothing special. All the Panther tips and everything are good if you're new to Panther, or if you're switching from OS9, but there's nothing ground-breaking in it. There are an awful lot of useful sites mentioned in it, but it's nothing that either isn't already common knowledge of that can be found on the Net. :) Overall though, it is a very good issue, but nothing special.

22. niter macrumors 6502

Would you recommend it for a switcher who is rather comfortable with a computer (I know myself around a PC very, very well and I would say I am doing rather well so far with Panther)? I just want to know and do it all ;)

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I think it would be worth in in your case then. If you're like me, when I moved to Mac, I had so much PC knolwedge and experience, well, Panther was pretty intuitive to me, and I figured out most things on my own by playing around. In that respect, the magazine didn't teach me anything too groundbreaking. However, it still is packed with goodies, so I definitely don't think you'd be disappointed with it if you picked it up. It is by no means a expert-level guide to Panther, as it is all fairly high level, but still really good. :cool:

24. the Otter macrumors member

MacWorld

I have subscriptions to both Macworld and MacAddict and I’m letting MacAddict lapse. I’ve received the latter for almost five years now, but a couple of issues back, they started letting all kinds of language through. I’ve dealt with their “prime time” cursing for quite a while—it’s pretty nigh impossible to get away from some of those words in our current society, and I’m sorry to admit that I, like so many others, have been somewhat desensitized to them. Even so, they’ve finally crossed the line, and I let them know I’m not gonna pay for a magazine that can’t clean up their act better than that.

I know a lot of people probably don’t care what words others use—I’m sure a lot of you use them yourselves—but if you happen to have morals akin to my own, Macworld is definitely the way to go.

25. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

There are currently four issues of iCreate out. IIRC the next one is due at the end of January. In the UK it retails for about £6 ($10) which is pretty normal for UK mac magazines. It seems to have a lot less ads and a lot more original content than the other UK mags. Whilst some of the content is a little basic, I've found enough to interest me to keep buying it. Most of the other mac mags bore me. I don't care about bloody Quark... :mad: