Whats the BEST Optimizing/Clean-up Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rhobes, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Hello All-

GIVEN:
    I have a G4 iMac with OS 10.2 & OS 9.2.2, 768MB Ram 80GB HD 800MHz, using Explorer 5.1 (~2yrs old).

USE:
    I use OS9.2.2 mostly because of my photoshop and camera, there are too many exceptions for me to deal with OS X when editing in PS & connecting the camera for downloads. OS X is rarely used. I use the internet & e-mail excessively.

PROBLEM:
    There has never been any type of service or clean-up done to the iMac since new (2 yrs old), it has always been put in sleep mode when done. It has gotten slow and a continual ERROR MSG (no code # on it) pops up after it has been on line for 10-15 min, at practically every new e-mail read or new web site visited. The ERROR says "There is not enough memory to open the plugin shockwave try alocating more memory to internet explorer". This occurs constantly although the link dosen't require shockwave. I have allocated plenty of memory to explorer and it doesn't help.
    I have been told the imac needs to have the HD defragmentized, internet clean-up, anti-spyware, files deleted and optimized. I am basically lost trying to pick between them all. Seems one software dosen't have what the other has. Some work only on OS X or 9.2.2 some on both.
    What would be the best complete package software for a computer illiterate to buy?

:confused: :confused:

P.S. There is only one Mac person in Missoula MT, needless to say it's hard to find help in the woods...... :eek:

Thanks in advance........Bob & Patti

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I would find Mozilla version 1.2.1 and use that as your browser while you sort things out.

Allume sells some software called Internet Cleanup which might help. You should have a disk utility package beyond what Apple provides. Tech Tool Pro 4 or DiskWarrior will do quite nicely.

3. scan300 macrumors 6502

I'm 99% sure you won't have a problem with spyware. So far that's really only a problem on Windows.

Apart from bousozoku's suggestions: you could try deleting and then reinstalling your shockwave plugin, deleting the IE cache file entirely, by dragging it to the trash, IE will start a new one. Rebuild your desktop, in classic preferences.

4. russed macrumors 68000

russed

system optimizer x is pretty good. and its free (well you just get a box that comes up when you start it up telling you to register). it does everything you will ever want!

5. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Well, I can't find the IE Cache file. I looked on the HD under IE, nothing , & don't see it under memory anywhere?? Don't know about that.....
    Rhobes :confused:

6. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Actually, I live north of Whitefish, MT - so howdy, neighbor!

Anyway, if you always put the machine to sleep, I wouldn't be surprised if you have one or more apps that have a memory leak. Have you tried rebooting your machine to see if the problem goes away? If you reboot and it takes a lot longer for the problem to appear again, then something you are running is leaking (and consuming) memory over time.

I don't see disk fragmentation or spyware having anything to do with this.

If you want to try a different browser, I'd go with firefox, which is basically "mozilla reloaded". It's very fast and secure. Go to mozilla.org to check it out.

HTH