Whats the best option...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by richardhurst, Aug 22, 2006.

1. richardhurst macrumors newbie

out of the 2 which is the better camera to purchase, i'm not a pro and only need it for holiday use but cost is not an issue, just want the one that wil produce the best quality picture. so is it the Sony HDR-HC1 or the HDR-HC3?

2. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

Comparison

The HC1 offers a higher pixel count and more userfriendly options like s-video out, firewire, headphone jack, etc.

3. richardhurst thread starter macrumors newbie

So am i right in saying the HC3 has no firewire connection??. i have a macbook pro and want the best one as stated for video quality and ease of connection

4. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

Well, that comparison says "no" but the Sony site says "yes" so I guess it does support firewire.

Not to throw another possible wrench into the works and not start a Sony vs. Canon debate, but have you considered Canon's new HV10. I've seen more than one post mentioning it can be a pain to get Apple and Sony to play nice. These posts suggest that Sony cameras may not come with a firewire cable. I have an older Canon MiniDV camera and have never had an issue. Not to get too technical, but the CMOS imagaing sensor in the Canon scans at a native 1920 x 1080. I think the sony does a 1440 x 1080 scan.

The HV10 doesn't come out until September, but my suggestion would be to find a retailer that carries the cameras of interest and try connecting them to your Macbook Pro to see just how easy it is.