Whats the best RSS reader for Mac OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Frankydan100, Mar 7, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Hi just wondering what RSS reader people use on their macs and which one people recommend?

Ive never used rss feeds before but thought id give them a try, just downloaded "NewsRack" but im not convinced.

Any help much appreciated.....

2. macrumors member

Big fan of netnewswire here. There was a recent update that appears on the Mac App Store with somewhat limited functionality compared to the older version, so you may wish to download off of third party for now (enhancements are in the works for 4.0). Ad free variety is paid option.

3. macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

4. macrumors 6502

Reeder is amazing! It's missing Feed Management right now but it syncs to Google Reader so you can just add stuff there!

5. macrumors member

I was in the same situation a couple weeks back and ended up buying NewsRack. I enjoy RSS feeds but cant stand that they only show you the first few lines. I found this website http://fulltextrssfeed.com/ all you need to do is enter in the RSS feed URL in the website and it gives you a new RSS feed. Input the new RSS feed in NewsRack and it now gives you the full article in the reader! Good luck

6. macrumors member

Reeder if you use Google Reader, and the new NetNewsWire if you want a more conventional RSS reader.

7. macrumors regular

newsrack or reeder (it's a beta still but very promising)

8. thread starter macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Cheers guys thanks for the help....

Ok so I downloaded the beta of reeder, really like the interface of it and the design looks much nicer. Guess Il prob try reeder and newsrack out for a few days and see which is best. Swaying towards reeder at the mo though.

Gonna check out the Iphone versions too I think.

Thanks

9. macrumors regular

I use the Web-based Google reader together with a Mac skin extension for Safari... this makes it look and feel like an integrated Desktop app.

10. macrumors regular

I use Google Reader in a browser (usually Safari)... sure, it has some limitations (ie. no RSS feeds requiring authentication) but I can read anywhere.

I do use Reeder on my iPad, but the UI wouldn't translate nicely to OS X without having some touchscreen input, IMO.

11. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

12. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

Gruml is also worth a try. I would use it but it does not work with Lion yet so I'm using Reeder now.

13. macrumors regular

What's the actual advantage of a separate rss reader compared to the bare Google Reader interface? It seems to work fine for me, even on the iPhone.

14. thread starter macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Thats it im hooked on 'Reeder' now, Newsrack has been resigned to the trash..

Love how you can use gestures on Reeder and the interface is gorgeous. Got it for my iphone now too and will be having it on my ipad 2 when its out..

Thanks for all the advice guys.

15. macrumors regular

Avoiding to open and keep opened your browser?

16. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

Can you tell me more about this set up?

17. macrumors newbie

18. macrumors newbie

RSS on menu bar

I keep all my RSS news feeds on my menu bar in Safari organized in folders .... i.e. ..... "mainstream news", "tech", "cars", "photography", etc etc etc within the main mother folder (the title on the menu bar) titled "RSS".

When I see something online of interest with an RSS feed, I click on the RSS newsfeed and save it as a bookmark in the appropriate folder.

It constantly updates the RSS feeds. Every morning I've got a couple of thousand new RSS feeds nicely organized in my preset catagories.

It's simple and clean and works! No need of any software program ....

Try it.

19. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

I think he is talking about this extension that uses CSS to make Google Reader look nicer.

20. macrumors newbie

safari 6

i did that too. loved it. safari 6 killed it. makes no sense to me.
    still searching for a temporary decent rss reader till apple fixes this.
    to submit feedback to apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback/safari.html

21. macrumors 68020

RSSOwl. Set it to notify you on the most important news items you want to monitor coming in and you get a pop up in the lower right corner.

22. NMF
    macrumors 6502a

NMF

23. macrumors 65816

I decided to try Reeder.
    I gave my google credentials when I opened Reeder, and instantly loaded my google reader rss feeds!

My question is: does it depends on google reader now? Or it was only for the first time?
    Google reader will stop its service in July 1st.
    Should I make a new login with Reeder?
    Will it play with this google reader account in the future?
    Does it need it to load rss from there, or just to import feeds for just once?

24. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

It relies on Google Reader to function. When it updates the feeds, they are actually being pulled from Google Reader and not directly from the sites like other stand alone RSS apps.

The Reeder dev. has said in a Twitter post he will have a solution in place before Google Reader shuts down. I guess we will have to wait and see what he comes up with.

[​IMG]

25. macrumors 65816

Reeder has any function to import (mass) feeds?
    I 've already exported my feeds in an xml file from google reader.
    But, how can I import it to Reeder?

Otherwise, can somebody please tell me a mac rss application who can import all my feeds from a file?