Whats the best software for film editing and professional effects?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cloud9, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Cloud9 macrumors regular

Hello,

There seems to be a lot of knowledgable people at this site so I thought Id solicit some free advice.

I am new to doing anything with video, but I want to get into it right away. I'd like to make some short films, music videos etc. What software would people recommend for cool editing and special effects that dont look wonky, but professional. I am very picky about my effects being the way I envision them and I do not want to compromise because of the limitations of software but at the same time I dont want to get a second job to fund the hobby.

I am familiar with how to navigate an image editor like photoshop and want to do similar things with video. ie, filter certain regions of the shot with out seams, transposing multiple video tracks into specific regions and shapes. Essentially I'd like to create flowing dreamlike montages, with out it seeming like I did it in a highschool 7th period class.

Any suggestions,

Thanks

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

You'll need Apple Final Cut Studio, After Effects, Photoshop and maybe Motion. As for FCP plugins, I recommend Synthetic Aperatures Color Finesse for color correction and grading, Magic Bullet Editors for filmstock looks, and if you are shooting interlaced video, Compressor 2 to handle all your 24P conversion and de-interlacing needs. It's also the best slow motion retiming software on the market.

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

well there are a few Pro Apps you can go from here and people here might lynch me for saying Avid first but that or Final Cut Pro and Shake come to mind for what you want to do

take a look at -
    Apple
    http://www.apple.com/pro/

avid-
    http://www.avid.com/

both are very good and are a hollywood standard so you really can not go wrong as long as you know what you are doing that is ,

o this is my 1000th Post woo hooo