1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

What's the best software to rip DVD into .mp4 for both PS3 and ATV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by aneftp, May 30, 2008.

1. macrumors 68040

I tried using handbrake (on Mac) to .mp4 (normal) and only Apple TV is able to play it. My PS3 says it's not a valid file.

Is there a software or function (on Handbrake) where I can do just one DVD ripping process so that single .mp4 file can play on both the PS3 and Apple TV.

I tried creating a file on my WD Passport portable hard drive called "VIDEO" and putting the .mp4 ripped video and it's still no able to play it.

When I rip using Handbrake into the PS3 preset mode, my PS3 plays it find but my ATV doesn't recognize it.

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I hope you realized that the Handbrake presets might not be compatible between platforms. You're going to need some magic numbers to create a file of the best quality while maintaining compatibility between the two devices.

So you're going to be using Handbrake, again.

I hope you're not looking for iPod/Phone compatibility in addition. In my opinion you should just encode the DVD video for each device.

3. macrumors 6502

I've got a ps3 and I find it so temperamental with playing mp4s. I've been converting a load of files and dvds to mp4 to stream to my ps3 and it's so unreliable - some files it plays fine, but others struggle. I'm going to get a atv to stream to as it will be so much easier - and a lot better UI!

I've also found that a load of mp4's that used to play on the ps3, now don't since tagging them with metax - don't know if this is just a coincidence that they stopped working after tagging or if the ps3 just can't handle the files.

4. macrumors 68040

I forgot this was Sony I was dealing with. Sony always wants their own formats (remember that stupid Atrac music file they were pushing). I guess Apple won that battle with their AAC/mp3 compatability.

I'll just stick with the Apple Handbrake video m4v format. I know it always works on both my PC/MAC and Apple TV.

5. macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

if you have an Apple tv then why would you want to watch the same movies on PS3? R they not in the same room or something?