Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
I have been reading about the different handbrake settings and everyones opion on the best. I want to start ripping all my dvds onto my mac pro, but id hate to loose quality when ripping, the dvds already dont look that great on the new plasma, so a quality loss will not help. Is the best solution just using MTR and using video_ts folders on plex? I tried encoding using handbrake and using a constant quality of 100% but the resulting files was larger than the video_ts folder by a couple of gigs. Any suggestions? what do you guys use?

Id love to rip my blu rays the same way but I know that is another can of worms so ill just worry about the DVDs for now lol.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
You can't go from MPEG2 -> MPEG4 and not expect to lose quality. 59-63% is usually considered as close to "transparent" as you're going to get while keeping file sizes reasonable.

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
RipIt

+1 more for RipIt. It rips the entire VIDEO_TS directory raw. Then I just use DVD2ONEX to fit it onto a single layer dvd and cut out all the junk.

MacTheRipper is a very easy to use program also, unfortunately, the latest RELEASED version doesn't get passed most of the protections for your own movies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.