What's the best way to do captions in iMovie HD.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bobber205, Apr 3, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

One note: I don't have iLife '06 yet.. ;)

Ok. I have a movie playing with soft background background... and I want to have some captions that play like the movie was being subtitled when the voices don't come out very well.

What's the best way to do this in iMovie HD?

2. lanray macrumors regular

Good Question

Bump. And my understanding is that this really isn't possible, but it's very germane to my next project (getting a translation of Haitian Kreyol on my presentation as captioned). Any help with this would be appreciated. Is there any application that will do it easily? Thanks.

3. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Holy Moly!
    I forgot I even posted this topic!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The iMovie in iLife '06 can do captioning easily. You just pick a starting point in the timeline, go to Editing->Titles, pick a style and a length of time, then whack the add button. It would be tedious for a long speech, but it does the trick.

5. lanray macrumors regular

any other suggestions?

there has to be something easier. Is there a plug-in that would do it? Or, is it pretty easy in another (more comprehensive) application (FCP?)?

Thanks!

(this is the thread that just won't quit....)

6. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Once you get the hang of it, it's not too hard to do captions manually in iMovie. Especially if you're not picky.

I would think an automated process would take so much setup, it'd still be a pain.