What's the best way to learn Keyboards?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mugwump, Jan 10, 2004.

1. mugwump macrumors regular

Now that general mac users will be interested in getting more musically attuned, and a piano keyboard will allow so much creative input via the software instruments...
    What is the best method of learning piano keyboard? Is there a good mac software teaching system, or is the traditional piano teacher/student method the best approach?

My childhood piano days are so rusty now, but some talent was there that possibly apple is coaxing to bring forth! :)

(by piano keyboard I mean midi keyboard, not the computer keyboard!)

2. pugnus maximus macrumors newbie

i saw some piano lesson video on PBS the other day. it looked simple, and covered all the basics...

GB will be a great tool for practicing an instrument as well...

... lay down a drum loop and a bass line, and practice your scales with it. This soon turns into improv...

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

check out the mac store, in the audio section there are a number of packages that will teach various aspects of piano skills.

4. insomniaut macrumors newbie

I am using eMedia Piano Method. I have very minimal music experience. I am only a couple dozen lessons into it, but I really like it. You can buy it from the online Apple Store or a physical one.

Hope this helps.

5. hcopp macrumors regular

elaborate...i just bought it and want to know if it teaches well...i am really excited.

6. insomniaut macrumors newbie

I think there are literally a few hundred lessons in it. After 20-something lessons, I still have not used the white keys or had to read notes on a staff. I can say that the preparation and practice the lessons I have done are easing me into sight reading and ear training. I have knowledge of musical concepts, but I haven't played an instrument extensively before.

As you use it, follow the instructions explicitly. Yes, you will feel goofy clapping and saying numbers along with audio that is playing; however, there is a very noticeable performance difference for me when I follow the instructions explicitly. Also, I seem to do better when I play through the last 2-3 lessons before I stopped the previous time. I aim to play every practice without errors twice in a row before moving on.

As I recall, using a MIDI keyboard will actually grade your playing within Piano Method. I can comment further on this in a few days (MIDI controller on order).

7. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

is the eMedia Piano metod an interactive tool to use on the computer?

8. elliotay macrumors regular

I know this thread is over 6 months old but I'm in the market for some piano lessons software. I JUST got a new 15" Powerbook and a M-Audio 49e keyboards to go with it. I don't have any keyboard playing abilities and am very eager to learn. Has anyone else tried eMedia's Piano Method? Does anybody have any other software they can recommend? I checked out apple's download page and basically came up empty. Thanks to anyone out there who can offer some advice.

9. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Ohhh GOD!

And I thought you were speaking about QWERTY, DVORAK and friends... :D :D

pathetic... :eek:

10. Harald4 macrumors member

try this

There are notes, playing keys with the fingers of your left hand, and ther are notes playing keys with your right hand.
    Play a note with your left hand, sustain it, and play a melody with your right hand...
    If you feel your right hand is indicating a change in your left hand, locate that change and go ahead...

Next step: Try playing two notes with your left hand...

Keep smiling, all the time