Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I need to resize a whole bunch of images so that they're about the same size (about 87 pixels high, width should vary depending on image). What's the best way to do this?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
tainice said:
Mind elabrorate on this please?
Hmm... it seems the Automator has been "fixed". I just tried my old action, and if you set it to scale all images to, lets say, 80px it takes the longest side and scales that to 80, so a lying 1280x800 image becomes 80x50 while a standing 800x1280 becomes 50x80. That's no help if you want to make uniform height "thumbnails". And the "create thumbnails" action is just as "dumb".

What's really stupid, is that when I used it for a task like this back in January, it worked as I then expected. That all scaled images was the same height, regardless of orientation and width, making it very easy to make a "thumbnail" web page... :(

Unfortunately, the current behaviour is probably the "correct" one, as even the standard Photoshop droplets does it the same way...

So now I'm actually very interested in hearing how the OP did it... :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Ok... after surfing a bit around I only found one shareware application that solves this problem: PictureTheBatch at $19.95.

So I tried making a simple Photoshop action/droplet to do the same, but Photoshop wouldn't cooperate, so I switched to ImageReady.

Making the action/droplet was fairly easy, but I couldn't get the Output settings to work as they should :)o), so the new files get a oldfilename-01.jpg when you make them from a jpg and simply oldfilename.jpg if you make it from another. Does anybody know how to make the action rename the new files...?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
The dialog box for batching in P-shop will let you rename the files in various ways and send them to a different location. Fireworks is also built well for batching. Either program should do the job simply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.