Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VegetaPunk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
AZ
I want to put my CD collection on my computer and it doesnt seem like there are a lot of MP3 rippers out there can anyone suggest one to me...

Impreza

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2003
California
I also recommend iTunes. It's great and it's quick. Although I haven't tried anything else, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? ^_^

Eric-C

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2003
I don't know if there are any for the mac, but try searching for a LAME encoder. LAME encoders alter the bitrate according to the frequency of the song at a certain intervals. That way, the most rich part of your song will have a very high bitrate, while the parts of the song that are very regular or increase and decrease very linearly will be broken with a very low bitrate. Thus, your music has a better quality overall and you have a file that is still about the size of a regular mp3. The only bad side is that it takes a minute or two longer to encode using this encoder since it is much more meticulous. However, if you treasure quality over speed, I would suggest searching for such an encoder.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
i'd say so - if you're using a wintel machine, altomp3 has a very similar 'ripping' interface to iTunes, but it's a LOT more configurable. I hate the way iTunes only adds the track number and the song title to individual files - is there anyway to change this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.