What's the best way to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AlBDamned, Apr 13, 2005.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Hi All,

In general opinion, what's the best way to bring a late edition G3 iMac running OSX 10.0.3, up to date? I'm thinking of buying Tiger for my work G5 and PB, and since getting them, the iMac hasn't received much use, but could I just slot Tiger onto it if needs be, or is there a better way to bring it up to speed?

Cheers

AL B Damned

2. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

For a machine of that age you have to remember it's not worth spending alot of money on making it useful.

If it were me I would stick in 512mb of RAM and install Tiger. Tiger will run faster than 10.0 and will be ALOT more useful. You'd be looking to spend about £150 to get this far. Its worth it, but only just. Also bear in mind if it's one of the slot loaders with a CDRW rather than DVD Rom you will need to send your Tiger DVD back to Apple and get them to send you the CD version.

3. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yeah it is a CDR-W drive which is a real pain now you point it out.

Has 512MB already, but it's pretty slow compared to my work hardware so I'm not sure it's worth spending anymore on it. If I bought Tiger (out of my own pocket for work as it's not deemed 'necessary' yet, I'd need to keep the DVD copy. Could be curtains for the little thing.

4. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

If you've already got 512mb of RAM in there i'd say it's worth sticking Tiger on it. Panther runs much better (speed + stability) on my iMac G3 than any older version of OS X.

But yes, the DVD to CD media exchange program looks to be abit of a pain: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=119709

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

6. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Well since you are getting it for the PM and PB I asume you will buy the Family Pack for 5 users..so no more money spent on upgrading it to Tiger ;)

So only RAM then ;)

7. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

As far as I'm aware the family pack still contains just the 1 DVD. He would have to use the DVD on the two machines first, then send the DVD back for the media exchange program.

Although it sounds perfectly legit to do that, you start getting into funny territory and you'd be stuck with Tiger CD's rather than DVD's after the process.

8. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Thanks JC. Thread v.useful. I should have figured this would have come up before.

The iMac was a semi-permanent loan for home till I got the new stuff but it's nice having it there, despite its wobbliness. Only a 333ghz though so even if I put Tiger on it, the more modern 10.2+ programs may be treacle slow.

Runs 0S9 classic apps without too much fuss. I think I may just be being sentimental to it though!

9. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Just to add for info. The previous thread suggests you once you buy the tiger dvd family pack, you are entitled to 'additional' tiger CD' for $9.95. This makes me think you'll then have both CD & DVD versions should you need them, so it wouldn't be necessary to send anything off. However, until the UK version arrives on the doormat, I won't plan 100% on upgrading the iMac.

Cheers,

AL