What's the best wireless printer for an iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Peripherals' started by Norcal., Dec 7, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Norcal.

I'm getting an iMac next month and want to know everyones opinion on wireless printers and which one would be best for me. A few things i'm looking for:

- Not that big, has to be able to fit on my desk and not take up a huge space
    - Good quality for pictures
    - Decent looking/compact/not bulky
    - Wireless

I was looking at a few HP ones but I honestly have 0 knowledge of printers and which one I should consider. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. macrumors newbie

3. macrumors 6502

colodane

This may be larger than what you are looking for, but I have had great results with an Epson Workforce 845. This is a multi-function color inkjet with convenient copying function, auto duplexing, etc. Features very large and economical ink cartridges. It has been in service over a year and I've replaced the B/W cartridge once and still using the original color cartridges. Very easy connection to the wi-fi network and the airprint has worked flawlessly. Highly recommended if you have the space.

4. macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

5. macrumors 6502

HP Envy 120? 110?

6. macrumors member

sraber would you mind updating us w/ your actual usage thoughts after you have some time w/ this?

I have it saved in my Amazon cart, it looks like it fits my needs but it would be nice to get a McRumors member input w/ this.

7. macrumors newbie

Agile55, I downloaded the driver from Epson as i have no CD reader. (Easy, no fuss download.) It was a breeze setting up. It found my network and connected without any drama, and printed a test copy. I am using cheap paper, not photo quality paper, but it is still acceptable for me. I leave the printer hidden away in another room to keep the clutter away from my desk. I would recommend you purchase this fine printer. :D

8. thread starter macrumors member

Norcal.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I have to say the HP Envy 120 is definitely a good looking printer. Sleek design and seems very compact. I'll have to look more into the reviews for it though.

9. macrumors newbie

A hearty second to that.

I'd also add that, unless you NEED color, consider an inexpensive laser printer for better reliability and much lower cost/page than any inkjet.

The Brother HL-2270DW that Wirecutter lists as their pick is great. Been using mine for a year now without a single jammed page yet.

For photo prints, I would actually suggest sending them off to a photo place versus wrestling with expensive ink, special paper and color management.

10. macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Which printer did you decide on? I ordered an Envy 120 before Christmas, but it is out of stock and hasn't shipped yet.

11. macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

HP LaserJet Pro 100 M175nw here.. Little pricey, but HP is the best out there when it comes to printers.. Also, much prefer laser to ink.

12. macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I have 4 HP 8600 Pro's at the office and they work great with our Macs, iPhones and iPads.

Yet I have yet to buy a printer for myself at home.
    I have looked at the ENvy's mainly due to the nice looks but I may end up with an 8600 at home as well. I want to pick something up within the next month, decisions decisions.

13. macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Norcal, what did you choose, mate?