Whats the better buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kammron, Feb 20, 2006.

  1. jrk07 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2005
    #2
    I think that the G4 iMac does not even have USB 2.0, so I would have to recommend the eMac. What are you going to be using the system for?
     
  2. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

    dan-o-mac

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2004
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #3
    I don't know about the iBook, but I think the iMac and the eMac are overpriced for what your getting. for $400-500 you could get a used or refurbished mac mini and use a crt until you can afford a nice lcd.
     
  3. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

    dan-o-mac

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2004
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #4
    The eMac only has 128 ram and a CD-Rom drive. Good question, what are you going to use it for?
     
  4. jrk07 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2005
    #5
    Ah crap I looked over the memory part, 128 is horrible. I agree with the above poster, get a mac mini and find some old monitor nobody wants for a while.
     
  5. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2006
    Location:
    Virginia Beach
    #6
    The iMac G4 and the eMac G4, seem to be fairly comparable. The eMac ships from Australia and its a 50 lb package at the buyers cost to ship to Canada. That would be expensive as hell. The iMac will ship to North or South America from Washington State. I would say go with the iMac due to the lower shipping cost and its LCD.
     
  6. kammron thread starter macrumors 6502

    kammron

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2005
    Location:
    Calgary Alberta
    #7
    well ive already won the iBook, and i love iBooks.
    but the seller hasnt responded yet, and i believe theirs a 72 hour period in which he can respond, anything further i dont have to pay.
    but its mainly gonna be used at home in my room.
    i'll hardly be using the battery on the iBook, and portability isnt a huge factor. (no airport yet)
    the eMac is in australia, so i think shipping would be killer.
    also i have plenty of ram sitting aroundbut i dont know if eMacs are uprgadable.
     
  7. kammron thread starter macrumors 6502

    kammron

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2005
    Location:
    Calgary Alberta
    #8
    Exactly;)
    but i think with a little TLC i can work some magic with the iBook.
     
  8. mfacey macrumors 65816

    mfacey

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2004
    Location:
    Netherlands
    #9
    The ibook is a nice looking computer. I wouldn't recommend running tiger on that machine though. On my old 667Mhz G4 tibook with 512MB of ram it really didn't run very well at all. A lot of waiting and a lot of beachballs.

    I personally would have to agree that a refurb mac mini would be a MUCH better buy for you. You could always still back out! :p
     
  9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #10
    Ehh, my opinion is Quartz Extreme support at least. It really helps with the GUI. After that it's 512 MB of RAM or more. Still, my $50 Power Mac G3 was worth it.
     
  10. kammron thread starter macrumors 6502

    kammron

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2005
    Location:
    Calgary Alberta
    #11
    i dont know.:confused:
    i like the fact that the iBook has a composite out,
    so i can just use an lcd tv here as a monitor.
    plus i'll upgrade to 640Mb ram.
    all my music and files will be on an ipod acting as an external HD.
    im sure it will run solidly.
    ive seen tiger run on old imac 400's without too much hesitation.:p
     
  11. mfacey macrumors 65816

    mfacey

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2004
    Location:
    Netherlands
    #12
    With the amount of money you'd be spending on upgrading it wouldn't make much sense not to back out now and get yourself a mac mini. It would be a better computer for your needs, seeing as you don't need portability.
     
  12. kammron thread starter macrumors 6502

    kammron

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2005
    Location:
    Calgary Alberta
    #13
    eventually ill need the portability.
    a new battery and an airport will solve that.
    i woulnt mind a mac mini, but my sister might buy one soon.
    i'd hate to look at an old crt, so id be spending another $250 on a lcd anyway.
    sadly i mainly use my pc anyway.
    playing battlefield, homework etc, is all done here.
    ill mainly run corel paintshop and openoffice on the iBook.
    but we'll see
     
  13. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

    dan-o-mac

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2004
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
  14. kammron thread starter macrumors 6502

    kammron

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2005
    Location:
    Calgary Alberta
    #15
    $515 Canadian shipped.($450 US)
    for an entry level iBook i think its slightly steep.
    but im gonna message the guy this week and ask for a deal due to my wait.
    another sale of his it states hes away until the 27th.
    possibly a 2nd battery or deal on an airport.
     
  15. kammron thread starter macrumors 6502

    kammron

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2005
    Location:
    Calgary Alberta
    #16
    i might just write:

    due to my wait, ill offer you $450 canadian,
    otherwise i do not wish to buy the iBook.
     

Share This Page