What's the better buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by interlaced, Jul 31, 2006.

  1. interlaced macrumors 6502a

    interlaced

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    #1
    Okay..

    So I have this small dilemma. I have two people willing to sell me their MBPs. Here's what I have to choose from:

    15" 2.0ghz Macbook Pro
    256MB VRAM
    1GB ram
    Applecare until 2009
    Basically this was the mid-level Macbook Pro being sold at the time of their release.

    OR

    Stock 17" 2.16ghz MBP

    They're being offered to me at around the same price (about a hundred dollars difference) but I don't know which one to choose. I like the 15" because of the Applecare, but I like the 17" because.. well, it's a 17" and has the DL superdrive. But the 17" doesn't come with Applecare, and APP is freaking expensive!

    I'd like some insight into the better deal. I can't wait til WWDC. I'm impatient!
     
  2. coastertux macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2006
    #2
    What are you going to use the computer for? If you want to carry it around, I would go with the 15" as the 17" isn't very portable.
     
  3. interlaced thread starter macrumors 6502a

    interlaced

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    #3
    Oh, I'm sorry. I should have stated that. I'm going to be using it for Final Cut Pro mainly, some internet and email and whatever else. I have a Dell 24" Widescreen LCD so I'm not so worried about the difference in real estate. Plus, the MBP would just be sitting on my desk. I won't be carrying it around or taking it anywhere.
     
  4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

    xfiftyfour

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Clemson, SC
    #4
    i'd opt for the 15" with the Applecare personally, especially since you don't need the extra screen size. but the faster processor would probably make a noticable difference when using FCP (not that the 2.0Ghz couldn't handle it, though!).
     
  5. coastertux macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2006
    #5
    Assuming you are going to keep it on a desk, I'd go with the 17" because it has the 2.16ghz processor, better for Final Cut. I would also suggest waiting for the MacPro desktops if you don't need a portable. Also keep in mind that you will want to upgrade to the Universal version of Final Cut. You can also always buy the AppleCare warranty for the 17" if you really want it.
     
  6. interlaced thread starter macrumors 6502a

    interlaced

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    #6
    Is the 2.16 really that much faster than a 2.0? Like, would I really be able to notice? I've prepared myself and gotten the Universal FCP Suite already and the reason I don't want to jump on a PowerMac or MacPro is because I don't have the space for it in my little apt. I appreciate the comments so far! Help me pick the best one. I intend on keeping it for a long while.
     
  7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

    xfiftyfour

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Clemson, SC
    #7
    yeah - you will notice it in rendering times.
     
  8. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

    MovieCutter

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #8
    Not to mention the extra screen real estate for FCP is awesome...
     
  9. twoodcc macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
    #9
    i just knew you were gonna see this thread and vote for the 17"....i just knew it :)
     
  10. pknz macrumors 68020

    pknz

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2005
    Location:
    NZ
  11. gman71882 macrumors 6502

    gman71882

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2005
    Location:
    Houston, Tx
    #11
    That 17" would be nice with FCP... Timelines stretch better across those extra 2 inches. :D
    You can always add APPLECARE anytime within a year of the original Purchase date. It doesnt have to COME with the machine.
     
  12. interlaced thread starter macrumors 6502a

    interlaced

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    #12
    Nah, for some reason I don't want an iMac anymore. I guess I just like the look of the portables better.

    I really want to get the 17" but I'd rather not have to worry about the extra $350 Applecare. It's just one less thing I'd have to worry about. I want to keep whichever machine I choose for a really long time. I'm tired of my compulsive buying and selling habits. So that might mean I should get the most up to date of the two.
     
  13. Mord macrumors G4

    Mord

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2003
    Location:
    UK
  14. pianoman macrumors 68000

    pianoman

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #14
    I'd go with the 15". I think it's nicer and the extra VRAM is a nice addition. AppleCare is a nice addition, too, and if you factor in the cost of AppleCare for the 17", it's $350 more than what you think it is, should you choose to buy it.

    However, I am not familiar with FCP and I don't know how CPU intensive it is. If people are saying the extra 0.16 GHz will help, then maybe that's the way to go.
     
  15. Miguel0019 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2006
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #15
    I'll take the 17" in a heart beat, if you have the extra cash you should go for it.
     
  16. interlaced thread starter macrumors 6502a

    interlaced

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    #16
    Yeah, it's only being offered to me for $100 more than what the 15" is being offered to me at so that's why I'm even considering it. But maybe it'd be better to put that $100 towards another gig of ram for the 15" to max it out.
     
  17. Hytower77 macrumors regular

    Hytower77

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2005
    Location:
    Some random place outside of Fort Worth, TX
    #17
    This is personally what I'd do. Look at it like this, the extra GHz not being on the 15", it allows you a few more seconds to go get a cup of coffee or a coke while your project is rendering. Plus, you already have a 24" external, so like you said, and extra 2", big whoop. Also, it's got Apple Care already.

    Damn these people wanting stuff to be done yesterday...;)
     
  18. interlaced thread starter macrumors 6502a

    interlaced

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    #18
    Hytower, that's what I'm thinking. Should I spend $100 for one more gig of ram and end it at that? Or do I spend an extra $100 for the 17", another $100 for ram, and then another $350 for applecare?
     
  19. bloodycape macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2005
    Location:
    California
    #19
    If you already got a screen just get the 15in and spend the 100 on ram. Does anyone know if it is two 512mb ram or just 1 gig stick?
     
  20. After G macrumors 68000

    After G

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #20
    Either way, you could get a 1 GB memory stick for $100 (or less even) and sell the old 512 stick so I think the 15" is a better deal. If you find that you NEED the extra .16 GHz (.32 if you count both cores) you can always resell the 15" MBP for more down the road since it has Applecare.
     
  21. interlaced thread starter macrumors 6502a

    interlaced

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    #21
    Yeah I'm going to get the 15". It's just sooo much less I have to think about. Although if anyone wants, I'll go get that 17" and sell it to whoever wants it. ;)
     

Share This Page