What's the big deal with

Discussion in 'Community' started by iSaint, Apr 6, 2005.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Alienware ??? One of the kids in my youth group was bragging about a classmate's $3,000 Alienware computer. Fill me in oh wise Mac Rumors peers.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Easy. They make fairly powerful PCs, many of which are oriented to gamers, and their cases tend to lean heavily to one end of the "Bling-Simple" scale. But you won't find any businessmen carrying them around (their notebooks, that is), and their machines are not the best-engineered you'll find.

Personally, I would never buy one... I'm more of a Sony person myself.

3. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i would never buy one but my friend in my comp programming class loves his and all he rants about all day is how good doom 3 looks and WOW...waste of money to me...want sweet games? IMO get a flippin xbox :)

4. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

Personally, if I were to buy a gaming PC at this moment (which is NOT about to happen), I would have to go with a Voodoo. Lots of power, less weird plastic . . .

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

AFAIK, first portable (those bricks are too big to be called laptops IMHO!) computers with swappable video cards. Nice for gamers so their $3K portable isn't obsolete so fast.

6. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Ummm...isn't the best thing to just build your own PC? I can build a REALLY fast PC for around, say, $1500...

Im talking Ati RAdeon X800XT, Athlon 3900+, 1GB RAM, etc.

7. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I though aliens were cool like, 10 years ago :rolleyes:

Their laptops are uglier than NEC and others, which is saying a lot.

And why you'd want to game on a LAPTOP is beyond me.

8. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Airplane, vacation...

"Why someone would get a PSP vs a PS2 is beyond me"

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

It's beyond me what all the fuss over Alienware is - as far as hotrod gaming PCs go, they suck.

Want the best? Go Northwest.

www.falcon-nw.com

10. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I like Alienware (minus Windows ;)). I think they're cases are nice if you like that "big-impact" feeling. If I were a gamer, I would get one. Either that or build my own gaming rig which in turn would be cheaper.

11. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Casual gaming, maybe. I guess I can see that. How's the battery life (I mean, pc laptop, come on) and how much fun is it gaming with a laptop keyboard?

Beyond me, too; the current line up of games sucks. Or are you being serious? ;)

A changeable video card is cool though. I wouldn't mind changing the video card on some, err, ALL of my Apple notebooks. :rolleyes:

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Alienware seems to use the same colour scheme as Windows XP, so its pretty fugly. :p

However, they're good machines. They game well. That's what they were meant to do. They're very fast machines and come with some of the best hardware available. They're pricey as well, as are all high end things.

I won't bash them. They have their place. Anyone who spends that much on a PC for gaming must really love gaming. Its sorta like how they might find it ridiculous that people spend $3000 on a PowerMac when it can't serve both functions -- productivity and gaming. We could argue all day, I guess. ;)

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Dunno if I could sleep at night with an AW PC in my room - those things look seriously freaky! :eek:

BTW, 5300c, cool signature, I always get that one wrong. :(

14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    They are just tweaked out PC's

The really scary thing was that I read an article about them in "Mechanical Engineering" a week ago.