What's the cafe you visit and what do you normally get there?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMacZealot, Sep 22, 2006.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

There's a Caribou across the street, but it's a dangerous intersection for pedestrians and I don't like Caribou's tea.

Peaberry went under, I'd go to the ones in Cherry Creek, and they're putting Starbuckes in all of the former Peaberry stalls.

Of the three, I'd say I love Starbucks the best. On cold days, I get a chai tea latte, but on warmer days, I can't get enough of the PTL.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Starbucks etc. are not cafés - they're production lines for what they call "coffee."

I go to a number of cafés, there are heaps of them here:

Mudcat
    Piato
    Hideaway Cafe
    Diggies
    Acqua

And so one, they are real cafés, not franchises, privately owned and operated and they make proper coffee.

3. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

yea, and what is not "proper" about starbucks coffee??

4. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

I usually get a couple of pints .... Newcastle is the favorite

5. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

To decide whether Starbucks is a cafe or not, let's take a look at a few definitions of cafe:

Starbucks is definitely not #3. Many of them have outdoor sections. At least the one I go to the most.

Starbucks is a coffeehouse as you can get coffee there. As for restaurant, I don't think of it that way.

A Starbucks is definitely small, and they do sell drinks and snacks.

Leading back to original question: Is Starbucks a cafe?
    Yes.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I've worked in one - it's foul, lowest bidder stuff. Weak too, the smallest cup at starbucks is larger than most of the largest coffees you'd get here or most other places in the world and there's only one shot of coffee in it. Something that big should be toting at least two shots.

I just don't like the way the big chain stores are worshipped in the states - I've visited at least one of nearly all the big ones and they're all the same, there's no real pride or effort put into the construction of a good cuppa - it takes skill to make a latté that's creamy from first to last sip or a cappuccino that doesn't collapse after a minute.

It's really just lowest-common denominator stuff. I went to a few real cafés while I was there and the difference was immediately noticeable, the coffee was made with pride and accuracy and the beans were top quality - best coffee I had whilst in the states yet it was empty as everybody rushed to the starbucks to gulp down their "hot caffeinated beverage" and get back to work.

7. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

maybe you just went to the wrong starbucks. The starbucks on campus here is the nicest cafe I have ever been into; the coffee is better then all the other "real cafe's" i've been to, and it certainly isn't weak. It may be a large chain, but it is nothing like other food chains.

and I don't care what cafe someone works at, no one who works a minimum wage job like that takes pride in every cup of coffee they make.

8. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't understand people that say Starbucks wiped out all the coffee chains like Peaberry....there wasn't a cafe chain before Starbucks!

But the atmosphere in Sturbuckes can vary....look at the Starbucks in Times Square by ABC, then go to one in Chelsea and you'll see a difference in atmosphere.

And as for the sizes we like things big here and your country doesn't so there isn't something wrong with us, it's just a discrepancy between you and me.

9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I love to visit the local Expresso Royale. The atmosphere is much better there than the Starbucks next door, which often filled with trendy coasties, with their ugg boots, long stockings, puffy vests, and HUGE sunglasses.

Although I dont mind starbucks coffee one bit.

10. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

You do know that the ugg boots are soooo 2005. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I think they're going out. I hate this new leggings trend! This whole 80's look with the belts, leggings, boots, and jumpers and/or miniskirt looks terrible on girls. Stay away, ladies!

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

12. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm currently living in France, so I couldn't possibly fit all of the good cafés nearby into the space allotted to me in one post by Macrumors :D.

But, when I'm in Santa Barbara I like Peet's for a 'chain' coffee shop that makes good stuff, as well as the Koffee Kat downtown (if it's still there).

My favorite all-time café is Café Pedrocchi in Genoa, Italy.

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Which is why I take 3 shots in my grande or just order a short latte (which isn't on the menu but gets you a small enough cup to work with a single shot). In the UK at least, Starbucks sell sandwiches, toasted paninis so you could have lunch there... so I'd call them a cafe.

When I lived in Newcastle, I used to go to a fabulous little non-chain cafe on my day off. I'd order a cappuccino and a toasted sandwich with chicken, cheese and chilli-type tomato relish... and read their papers. Bliss!

Most of the places I end up for lunch in now are pubs that sell food rather than cafes. Although there is a rather good little Lebanese place on the Kings Road that do marvellous humous platters with kebabs...

14. bartelby macrumors Core

When I'm in Bristol I go to the Watershed.
    I'll have either:

Coffee and a chocolate brownie
    or
    Bell Ringer real ale and nachos!

Mmmmmm, Damn I'm hungry!!!!

15. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I used to frequent a place called Paris on the Platt here in Denver. (Platt is a river, btw). But then it got real trendy with all the goths and other stupid kids, so I've pretty much just stuck to bars. Trantula's downtown is pretty cool place to hang out. There's a cafe below it that's decent. Though with the smoking ban, there pretty much isn't anywhere I like to hang out now.

16. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Independent Roasters, a small, coffee heavy place in Hartford. Coffee is good, people are nice, wifi is free ...

17. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Hey, I've been to this café. It was a long time ago now, when I was going to school in Golden, so it must have been around 1996 or so. Cool place back then, but it sounds from you like it's changed a bit. Too bad.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Starbucks is a DISGUSTING company. I've been here in Chicago for 14 years. When I moved here, there was one Starbucks in the whole city. We had tons of fantastic, funky cafes. One by one, they were run out by Starbucks- and not fairly. I talked to several former cafe owners who all told me the same thing: Starbucks paid off their landlords to terminate their leases. The saddest loss was Scenes cafe. It was a great place that had about every script known to man that actors could study free of charge. And we all know that most actors are poor. I HATE that company for what it did to this city and I refuse to ever buy anything from them.

19. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Hmmm...I'm not sure if I've seen that. Is that in the area by the new skatepark (aka stunt nirvana)?

20. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Yeah, sure is. If your going west past the skatepark, turn left, and keep going down that street. Paris on the Platte is in a building on the right side.

yeah, it really sucks now. They still have great Chai and what the hell are those called? Sunrise something or other. Those are damn good. They used to have a book store in half of the café, but then they turned it into a wine shop. So now it's a mix of goths. yuppies, and extremely loud morons. Oh, did I mention there's no smoking anymore? BAH!

21. wimic macrumors regular

wimic

I'm originally from Newfoundland, Canada but recently moved to Calgary, AB. Back home I used to frequent this little cafe called Hava Java. Very nice little place - great espressos.

About the Starbucks thing... I'm not sure if I'd call it a cafe... it's debatable I guess. Me, personally.... I associate less commercialized establishments with the word cafe... something that's not a franchise.

22. jamone80 macrumors regular

deidrich's coffee. i only drink coffed, dark-roast, black.:cool: its not that great but its right across the street from campus.

23. nitynate macrumors 6502a

I really like Panera.

I usually go in there and get a couple shots of expresso and a bread bowl of soup.

Free Wi-Fi and comfortably quiet.

24. Queso macrumors G4

Don't really go to cafe's in London, but in Sitges I do the Montroig like everyone else does. Sit there all morning drinking sucs naturals and cafe amb llet reading La Vanguardia, then hit the beach :)

25. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Starbucks -- accepted on the NYU dining plan. Addicting. I usually get hot chocolate, a chai tea latte, or a frappachino (either plain coffee or java chip)

I also love a place called Tea Spot around the corner for hot tea and frozen tea lattes. Just RIDICULOUSLY expensive ($5 for a cold drink).