What's the Clash of the Titans About?

Discussion in 'Community' started by xsedrinam, Jul 30, 2005.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Why do computer preference issues seem to be surrounded so much with "stongly agree vs. strongly disagree" types? People drive different models of cars out of their own choices, but I don't recall that some one has ever said, "your Camry sucks" since i bought it. Maybe it does, but no one seems to be exercised about that one way or the other. Is it because computer and OS selection is more closely related to a projection of ourselves and our own identity, that opinionated persons feel they must belittle one's preference for a mechanical box and in so take so and so down a notch? In church circles, the "worship war' has been on-going for a decade, and strong feelings about what to sing and how to sing it have escalated almost to the point where some have begun to believe that when satan fell from heaven, he fell in to the choir loft. I drove by at least six neighborhoods displaying the Confederate Flag proudly in their front yards. For about 30 minutes, I was whistling I weren't in Dixie, as racism and white supremacy groups still clash and create ill will with those who differ. I just wonder what's at the bottom of the rationale of computer dogma and belief ? Nationalism? Ethnocentrism? Self actualization and self image protectionism? "I ain't as dumb as you think I am" and projected images of such? Anyway, the range and scope of different wrestling matches caught my eye and, FWIW, thought some might see some similarities in the passive/aggressive behaviours of the computer preference feud.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_wrestling_match_types#Steel_Cage_Match
    X

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, you lost me after about the fourth sentence. Are you saying people seem to be more passionate about operating systems than cars? It might just be the social circles you move in. I know that I am the only geek in my group of friends (I'm so wonwey :( ) and they care far more about cars than Macs.

So then, why are people passionate about computers? Well, we spend a lot of time with them these days and it's nice to have one that works well. :p

3. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Ya, the article's too long, initially. Cutting ot the chase, people do feel strongly about their cars, music, ethnicity, etc. as well as their computer choices. Maybe it is just me and my circle, but it seems like sides are becoming more and more polarized and strongly so when it comes to "compute and let compute" i.e. live and let live. If it's about conversion, then why unless there are self interest issues (stock, etc.,) That's about it. This may be headed for wasteland, since thinking out loud late a night can sometimes be futile.
    X

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thought you wanted a review of Clash of the Titans the old '81 movie with Harry Hamlin! :p

Couldn't believe that there was actually someone who hadn't seen at least part of it! Its always on TV somewhere 24/7 I think.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]