What's the deal with Safari Save As function?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by MBPDiva, Mar 26, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

I have a 15" mid 2012 MacBook Pro Classic, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 8G RAM, 256G SSD HD, OS X 10.8.3. I notice when I click on downloads, the file instantly begins downloading without prompting me to save it somewhere. All the previous Safari preferences gave me the option of choosing where I wanted the files downloaded. What gives? :confused:

2. macrumors 68020

If you click on a file to be downloaded, it goes in the ..... Downloads folder.

If you want to save it somewhere else, right-click and select "Download Linked File As...."

"Save As...." saves the currently displayed file, either as an HTML file, or a webarchive, which also contains the images, so you can look at the whole thing while offline.

It has been like this for a long time.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

You're right. I just realized that I never download large (expensive) files in Safari because it didn't allow me the option of choosing where to save my files with left click. In Firefox, under Preferences > General, it gives the option to "Ask me where to save files." I don't have that option in Safari. So one wrong click in Safari and I have accidentally downloaded an expensive file that I must pay for, which is very annoying. :(

Thanks!

4. macrumors 68020

If you are charged per Megabyte, you can always stop a download while it's in progress. Assuming that your connection is not too fast, of course. But super-fast connections don't tend to charge per Mb.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

I meant files that I purchase online for my work.

6. macrumors 603

justperry

:confused:

Then there is something seriously wrong somewhere, which site allows you to download without a login or buy option???

I never ever clicked just a link and it downloads< I know iTunes store has something like the one click download but that can be disabled and is your own fault.