Whats the deal with the personal attacks....

Discussion in 'Community' started by medea, Jan 12, 2003.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

For some reason I was attacked recently for pointing out to a newbie that he should check forums for already open threads before starting new ones and to make sure you watch which forums you put the threads in because he had started a new thread on a news I already posted, and then one of the mods moved his thread into my own. Fine I'd say, thats what is supposed to happen right, but instead Beatle888 goes off and I quote "he above is a post from medea. this guy is a fncking dork.....that was his reply to someone who posted about this tivo topic a couple of days after him.....what a fncking dork. get a life. what are you the fncking rumors Gestapo? fncking rumor nazi."
    Jesus Christ what the hell did I ever do to this guy?:eek: :confused:

oh heres the link http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17354

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I wouldn't take it to heart too much...this type of thing happens around here from time to time. Just do your part to try & help explain things, and if someone gets out of line...report the thread... ;)

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

eye's right, but i have seen a lot more tension between people than usual it seems. a lot of people seem high-strung and quick to take offense. and there's one or two people that's only function around here seems to be to criticize people...

tho i'm guilty as well, i was kind of mean to a newbie myself one night, or at least much more abrupt than i should have been. i think it has to do with the CRT radiation infecting my brain... yeah, thats it... yet another reason to go flat panel :D

as my mom would say, sometimes everyone needs to take a chill pill ;)

pnw

4. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Well, I really believe personal attacks can be sometimes fun....to an extent , it brings the boards to life on many occassions. But continually heckling this person is not on. I don't mind having the occassional dig at someone, I had one recently.

It tests your wits, you can either reply and be a smartass , or you can have nothing more to say and not reply.

5. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I always say, If you can't stand the heat, get out of the oven (or at least the kitchen) :cool:

But what beatle888 said was really rude, and uncalled for... He's probably just a 13 year old with nothing better to do. I just usually ignore those types of posts, unless they are really wrong, or are being complete jerks, and then I usually point out how immature they are, and how they need to get a life... I have also seen a bunch more newbies than ever before. Some seem alright, but some have been downright nasty...

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hey...

Beatle was out of line. I emailed him a warning. Simply "report" these posts and they will be taken care of.

thanks,
    arn

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(chris) Well, I really believe personal attacks can be sometimes fun....to an extent , it brings the boards to life on many occassions. But continually heckling this person is not on. I don't mind having the occassional dig at someone, I had one recently

Only personal attacks on nothing offensive are fine for me. I got involved in one with MacAztek last summer. The topic at hand was discussed for about 5 posts. Then it was humorous flamebit for the following 30+ posts. hitman would know about it. :D

So I agree to some extent, but flamebits really aren't cool on the forums. They may be more interesting than the political stuff on occassion, but other times they are not even halfway cool. Check out a few threads in the depository section (I mean, wasteland) for a few inconsiderate rants about the Expo...

I also agree with G4scott, for the most part. The only argument I have against his post is pointing out how immature a person is. Someone on the boards being attacked shouldn't respond with "get a life" or some sh** like that. Mearly defend against the person, point by point, with logic and not flamebits. If that doesn't work, report the post. Then someone on the boards with a higher responsibility, such a moderator or arn, may neet to boot the person off.

The best "flamebits" on the forums are ones that fire logic instead of flamebits, and I feel those are the only ones that really should be allowed on the forums. But, according to the forum agreement, that is really as far as one is allowed to go; don't post anything offensive.

Beatle's comment "fncking rumor nazi" really should result in his banning. If not, I feel he should have a strong administor warning stamped just below the hairline. But that is really up to arn to determine the punishment.

I don't mean to make such a long post, but some people just don't realize how to work around a situation, both offenders and defenders. I'll be honest that others and myself slip up sometimes, either emotionally or what have you, but I think Beatle's comment stretches pretty far.

Edit: I see arn has already performed that duty. :cool:

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That's the whole point for us to understand the other's point of view. Its just better to attack the comment rather than the person!

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

As long as we are using this thread to vent on member issues. Just take a look at Scem0. The guy has been on here long enough to know better but continues to spam threads with useless comments like a newbie. What's up with that? I admit that I have had my problems in the past and sometimes still go overboard but to do it constantly is another thing.

Hey Scem if you read this no insult intended. I'm just voicing an oppinion and we can discuss it if you choose.

10. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Not to open this up to open comments about specific people... but the key to remember is this:

if you don't report it, it didn't happen

Basically, I don't read nearly all the posts... so if something is bothering you... report it. Otherwise, you are saying it's ok.

arn

11. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

that post bothered me... :D :p ;) :cool:

12. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

Thanks arn we will all remember that, but that's what this is though just venting, it just sort of seems like people have been getting more aggresive on the boards recently, maybe its all that post-expo stress.....

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Could also be the recent huge influx of recent newbie or newbie like activity.

14. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Perhaps your tar scared him, and his post was a knee-jerk reaction ;)

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Personal attacks are destructive and can be heartfelt!

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: The Wrong Approach

I'm missing out on this batch on newbies, none of them have attacked me this month.

I haven't had a chance to see any newbies go chaotic lately.

;)

17. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can hurt my inner child...

18. King Cobra macrumors 603

From what I've seen with attacks and offensive posts, the majority of flamers on the site, especially in the past 6 months or so, had between 200 and 500 posts when they made their comment. These guys aren't really that "new", since they have been on the site considerably and understand how the site (and its users) operate. I do feel, however, that the "newbies" and those with less than 200 posts may not feel too comfortable getting adjusted to the site, so they feel responsible for getting used to the site and adjusting themselves. I feel there aren't too many flamers with over 500 posts and haven't been recently on this site, because they are accepting a different responsibility. If they like MacRumors, they show their support by coming to the site and becoming recognized. So they have the responsibility as appearing as a "model" for the site.

I made a demonstration graph to show you what I mean.

Attached Files:

19. vniow macrumors G4

Making Macrumors graphs of the amount of posts to amount of personal attacks?

You really need to get out more.[​IMG][​IMG]

20. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

This is exactly what spawns the Pie Fights.

Whenever the Newbies get too obnoxious for their own good just e-mail me and I'll be happy to pull them into the olde Pie Arena for a little social re-engineering. ;)

I haven't whipped it out in a while cuz I don't go out to the front of the site much anymore.... too many of the same topics being gone over by newbies that refuse to research previous posts and threads.

I once thought that perhaps the Pie Arena thread should be given it's own Forum heading so we could Pie people rather than Flaming or reporting and give them a chance at humility before banning their asses.

21. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: This is exactly what spawns the Pie Fights.

You usually whip it out when you go to the front page of Macrumors? Do you really find the Macrumors logo that attractive? :)

22. vniow macrumors G4

I know I do.

I mean, look at it, how can you not be turned on by this sexy image?

[​IMG]

23. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Yeesh, that's it!

•WHAP!•

•SPLAT!•

Alex and Edvniow are struck by steaming hot Pork-and-Cheese pies!:D :D :eek: ;) :rolleyes:

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

25. vniow macrumors G4

[​IMG]