What's the Diagnosis on my TiBook, doc?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jarinehart, Aug 15, 2006.

1. jarinehart macrumors newbie

I type this as the tears form on the edges of my eyes; I'm afraid my trusted friend TiBook 667 has passed away. The other night I brought home my tibook and set it in it's proper resting place on the desk plugged into charge, the next evening I tried to wake it to do my regular backup duties and it had no response. NOTHING, it somehow shut down and will not power up at all. Battery indicator button on battery shows full charge, power supply has been been in three different outlets and shows green when plugged into computer, and i tried the PMU reset....still nothing. My suspision is that the inverter board is fried.

PLEASE tell me I don't have a dead unit and that i'm lucky to have the oppertunity to upgrade, because the money is definately not there.

2. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

If your unit is indeed fried, why not just pickup a G3 iBook which can be had for relatively cheap these days.

Sorry to hear about that though the Ti's were great machines.

3. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Fear not. Inverter boards can be found for relatively cheap on t3h eBay.

I'd suggest dragging it in to an Apple store to see if they can help pin it down. That'll at least confine the possibilities. If you're a handy person, I'd suggest spending the couple dozen bucks and fixing it yourself. If not, well, I don't really know what else to tell you.

4. jarinehart thread starter macrumors newbie

new developement....on a whim tonight i was going to recharge my ipod and decided that i should test to see if it even registers a charge on the ole non-responsive tibook. It took a charge from the firewire port. still no power on, but at least i know there is an electric current running through the logic board....SO any ideas now.

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Doesn't the TiBook normally have to be turned on in order to charge your iPod? I would imagine it needs to be running before the firewire ports are powered...

6. iHotu macrumors regular

Did you try an external monitor with it?

I had a issue with the built in display acting up but the external worked just fine.