What's the difference b/w DVD- and DVD+?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dferigmu, Oct 23, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

What's the difference? Are they two different formats? Which ones are for use with Mac Superdrives?

2. Moderator emeritus

Yes: they're two different formats.

Depending on the Superdrive, you MAY use both (if it's a very recent model). This is what I've heard here but have not tried it with our 2.5 dual G5s at work... I'm slightly sceptical but that's just me. I'm probably wrong...

However, all Superdrives will work perfectly with DVD-R/RWs not the + ones...

3. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

DVD-R = more compatible with older DVD players
    DVD+R not so compatible

They're just two competing formats. But it seems like DVD-R popularity is rising.

4. macrumors 6502a

does anyone suggest a particular brand. and on a side note, does the DVD drive in the 2.0 G5 play regular DVD's? If so is there a way to import the audio off of them into pro-tools or some type of recording software? thanks

5. Moderator emeritus

We use Verbatims or Sony's at work but the range is more limited in the UK. I think you get what you pay for with media...

Yes, your DVD drive will play movies through DVD player, if that's what you mean...

Lots of people here swear by Audio Hijack for audio extraction from DVD.
    http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/

6. macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

+R burns in a different way than -R does, im not gonna go into the technicalites or anything, but as of late +R is gaining the edge in the format war, and is more compatible with ALL types of dvd players

7. macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

While in PCs, the plus format is growing quickly, the disks produced are quite a bit **less** compatible than the minus format. Much of this has to do with a series of bits on the disk that identify it as a plus disk. Many DVD video players still do not know how to play these discs since they are still not officially part of the format standard.

As far as media goes, you can never go wrong with Verbatim. Ritek is generally not to bad either, and when media prices were higher, were more attractive. Now that premium brands such as SONY and Verbatim are below $1 ea. I just buy the premium brands now.

Max.

8. macrumors regular

From what I have seen DVD-R's play in just about every dvd player and the DVD+R's are the newer ones that are still a little incompatible with drives and players. My superdrive which I got in September '04 will only burn DVD-R's...