Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Because it's not the same and not all the things can be done with it?
So what do you call this menu?

41358e40eb54785c4d8bb54b90bc6842.jpg

Also, why have and use right click on a mouse when the same thing could be done by pressing some keyboard button and using the regular left click?

Maybe because you need the mouse to move the cursor to the place you want to right click and you need the mouse anyway?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So what do you call this menu?

41358e40eb54785c4d8bb54b90bc6842.jpg

Maybe because you need the mouse to move the cursor to the place you want to right click and you need the mouse anyway?
A single menu doesn't change that there are things that 3D Touch can do that a long press isn't really suited for. Nor does it change how it actually does it.

As for the mouse, you have a finger too that you move around with when compared to a phone, so by that logic that you mentioned since you might as well have right click you then might as well have 3D Touch. Seems like you are supporting what you are trying to argue against with that example (wouldn't be the first, or even the second or third, time).

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
A single menu doesn't change that there are things that 3D Touch can do that a long press isn't really suited for. Nor does it change how it actually does it.
And to compensate for that 3DT does not work on all phones nor do all apps support it while long press works on every app and launcher and every device.And you still havent answered on how swipe for 3DT is worse because its providing the 3DT menu,you know,the EXACT same 3DT menu ALONG with peek and pop too

As for the mouse, you have a finger too that you move around with when compared to a phone, so by that logic that you mentioned since you might as well have right click you then might as well have 3D Touch. Seems like you are supporting what you are trying to argue against with that example (wouldn't be the first, or even the second or third, time).
Right click is 3DT.Normal people use their computers with one hand on the mouse and another on the mouse which is why a dedicated button for it exists.And they are not remotely the same.Long press and 3DT use the same user interface device AKA the touchscreen while the computer uses 2 input devices

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Why use dedicated hardware for something which can easily be done through software and has been done on a rival operating system?The very fact that long press emulates 3D Touch makes 3T inferior as it needs dedicated hardware which is unnecessary as jailbreaks prove
Already been addressed. HRdware allows for subtle variations not possible with a llllooonnnggg press.
[doublepost=1475429366][/doublepost]
And to compensate for that 3DT does not work on all phones nor do all apps support it while long press works on every app and launcher and every device.And you still havent answered on how swipe for 3DT is worse because its providing the 3DT menu,you know,the EXACT same 3DT menu ALONG with peek and pop too

Right click is 3DT.Normal people use their computers with one hand on the mouse and another on the mouse which is why a dedicated button for it exists.And they are not remotely the same.Long press and 3DT use the same user interface device AKA the touchscreen while the computer uses 2 input devices
looonnnggg press is not 3dt, which can do things like peek and pop that long press can't do.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Already been addressed. HRdware allows for subtle variations not possible with a llllooonnnggg press.
What subtle variants?The looooong press does not have a mrgin of error.It shows the menu which I want to on the other hand 3DT needs the right amoung of pressure on a deeeeeeep press to work otherwise I activate a unintended feature.

[doublepost=1475429366][/doublepost]
looonnnggg press is not 3dt, which can do things like peek and pop that long press can't do.
The things long press cant do like peek and pop are achieved through swipes diagonally

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

And none of that changes what I (and various others) brought up.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I didn't agree with them there either. The iOS 10 home screen 3D shortcuts are now really cluttered with the share button and widgets all there, last thing we need to a delete app button like in the Music app, along with the rest of them that have to be stuck in that same gesture.

My mom just "discovered" the Notification Center the other day after almost five years of it existing. How's that for discovery?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
What subtle variants?The looooong press does not have a mrgin of error.It shows the menu which I want to on the other hand 3DT needs the right amoung of pressure on a deeeeeeep press to work otherwise I activate a unintended feature.

The things long press cant do like peek and pop are achieved through swipes diagonally
Guys. Just bring something other than showing up a menu when pressing an app icon that long press can do BETTER than force touch.
And don't forget, in iOS, long press an app icon triggers app deletion. Force touch is then out to add quick action on iPhone. Android user does not always use long press to trigger app deletion in the form iOS does, thus they are free to bring a menu when you just long press an icon.
Also, swiping from any direction on touch screen is always a hit or miss matter no matter which device you have. I say "hit or miss" I mean system recognise it as a proper "swipe". I have been plagued in swiping disease in NC, CC for a long time. And swipe recognition never works right all the time in app. I don't believe android system can magically solve those problems.
One more thing: if you really believe long press is everything then I ask you this question. I design an app which you press an icon 1s to unlock normal mode. And press that icon 3s to unlock advanced mode. Tell me, what should I do to distinguish 3s press and 1s press and make it right all the time? By pressing on it 1s and release finger?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Ah so different swipes in multiple directions and remembering which swipe does what, is much better than pressing?:confused:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Ah so different swipes in multiple directions and remembering which swipe does what, is much better than pressing?:confused:
Really?It isn't any different than all those gestures and swipes on Mac or iPad(the Mac in particular has a lot of them).I wonder how people remember those

The iPhones used zero swipe or gesture actions.Thankfully the awesome jailbreak community did an outstanding job on this (in particular the iPad two finger option on keyboard for cursor movement) providing real functionality to old devices while Apple was busy adding birthday animations and emojis to iMessage

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Really?It isn't any different than all those gestures and swipes on Mac or iPad(the Mac in particular has a lot of them).I wonder how people remember those

The iPhones used zero swipe or gesture actions.Thankfully the awesome jailbreak community did an outstanding job on this (in particular the iPad two finger option on keyboard for cursor movement) providing real functionality to old devices while Apple was busy adding birthday animations and emojis to iMessage
More deflections. Thought we were discussing 3dt vs looonnnnggg press to accomplish some set of tasks? And Apple was busy adding functionality to iMessage that it seems was wanted in general. Not everybody uses everything and some people like to have some fun with their devices, like games or emojis instead of counting key presses and swipes.

Reactions: hojx

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
More deflections. Thought we were discussing 3dt vs looonnnnggg press to accomplish some set of tasks? And Apple was busy adding functionality to iMessage that it seems was wanted in general. Not everybody uses everything and some people like to have some fun with their devices, like games or emojis instead of counting key presses and swipes.

Hey, he's embarrassed himself in a public forum thoroughly enough. His disingenuousness notwithstanding, he's only going to keep moving the goal posts. Can't win against irrationality.

Reactions: hojx and I7guy

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Hey, he's embarrassed himself in a public forum thoroughly enough. His disingenuousness notwithstanding, he's only going to keep moving the goal posts. Can't win against irrationality.
But he seems does not know this fact himself. We just need to use fact to defend ourselves and have a brief laugh today. Sometimes we need to feel a bit "superior" against others.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
You replied on the second half of my post which was a workaround and ignored the part of the post where I posted the merits of long press.I clearl stated that the margin of error in activating 3DT is very high compared to long press.And at the same time it's providing 90% of the same functionality and can actually be customised

But he seems does not know this fact himself. We just need to use fact to defend ourselves and have a brief laugh today. Sometimes we need to feel a bit "superior" against others.
It's my opinion.I don't give a damn what the other members feel about it because while they are laughing I am enjoying both ecosystems over here and being amused at how they try to justify some of Apple's boneheaded interface decisions which Android is clearly superior in handling .

I want to ask iOS users whether there is actually a way to enable and disable cellular and jump directly to cellular to settings via 3DT?

Can you use 3DT to customise the WiFI ports by jumping directly in settings?

Can you guys even adjust location settings through 3DT?

Can you guys directly visit battery settings through 3DT?m to turn on battery saver?

Can you guys change wallpapers and widgets directly through 3DT?Can it be used to customise and change the widget itself?

Can you guys use 3DT to open a menu so that I don't actually have to hold the icon in place and instead just change the home screens and quick tap to insert the icon there?
Can you guys use 3DT directly to open Google search ?

Can you guys customise the 3DT so that if used on they keyboard you can customise the delay to which the symbols pop up when you hold on an alphabet

Can you guys use 3DT inside Adobe Reader to share documents?

Can you guys use 3DT inside Phone app to directly add a contact to speed dial or block a number? For that matter can you even delete a contact quickly through 3DT

Can you customise the exact functions of 3DT?

rJOS0ex.png

add-custom-shortcuts-your-quick-settings.w1456.jpg

[doublepost=1475486687][/doublepost]
Guys. Just bring something other than showing up a menu when pressing an app icon that long press can do BETTER than force touch.
And don't forget, in iOS, long press an app icon triggers app deletion. Force touch is then out to add quick action on iPhone. Android user does not always use long press to trigger app deletion in the form iOS does, thus they are free to bring a menu when you just long press an icon.

I never quite understood why they have the delete otion separate from the 3DT Menu.Instead of that useless "Share" button which pops up on many apps they might as well add a delete option if the user by chance applies less pressure

Also, swiping from any direction on touch screen is always a hit or miss matter no matter which device you have. I say "hit or miss" I mean system recognise it as a proper "swipe". I have been plagued in swiping disease in NC, CC for a long time. And swipe recognition never works right all the time in app. I don't believe android system can magically solve those problems.
I constantly use swipes on my iPad.I use the 4 finger upward swipe for app switcher,the horizontal one for switching to the previous app etc and it worked well.In fact I found the swipes on iOS more accurate than Android.I dont understand why there are hardly any swipes available on the iPhone

One more thing: if you really believe long press is everything then I ask you this question. I design an app which you press an icon 1s to unlock normal mode. And press that icon 3s to unlock advanced mode. Tell me, what should I do to distinguish 3s press and 1s press and make it right all the time? By pressing on it 1s and release finger?
So if I understand right there are 2 options in an app with a timing delay programmed in right?The better option would be to have a menu pop up on long press and select the option which you want.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You replied on the second half of my post which was a workaround and ignored the part of the post where I posted the merits of long press.I clearl stated that the margin of error in activating 3DT is very high compared to long press.And at the same time it's providing 90% of the same functionality and can actually be customised

It's my opinion.I don't give a damn what the other members feel about it because while they are laughing I am enjoying both ecosystems over here and being amused at how they try to justify some of Apple's boneheaded interface decisions which Android is clearly superior in handling .

I want to ask iOS users whether there is actually a way to enable and disable cellular and jump directly to cellular to settings via 3DT?

Can you guys directly visit battery settings through 3DT?m to turn on battery saver?

Can you guys change wallpapers and widgets directly through 3DT?Can it be used to customise and change the widget itself?

Can you guys use 3DT to open a menu so that I don't actually have to hold the icon in place and instead just change the home screens and quick tap to insert the icon there?

Can you guys customise the 3DT so that if used on they keyboard you can customise the delay to which the symbols pop up when you hold on an alphabet

Can you guys use 3DT inside Phone app to directly add a contact to speed dial or block a number? For that matter can you even delete a contact quickly through 3DT

I never quite understood why they have the delete otion separate from the 3DT Menu.Instead of that useless "Share" button which pops up on many apps they might as well add a delete option if the user by chance applies less pressure

I constantly use swipes on my iPad.I use the 4 finger upward swipe for app switcher,the horizontal one for switching to the previous app etc and it worked well.In fact I found the swipes on iOS more accurate than Android.I dont understand why there are hardly any swipes available on the iPhone

So if I understand right there are 2 options in an app with a timing delay programmed in right?The better option would be to have a menu pop up on long press and select the option which you want.
Where is your "proof" of the "margin of error"? Is long press instant? Can long press do peek and pop instantly? Can long press open up and email for preview instantly? Can long press open up the task switcher instantly? For someone who was so vocal about the 1 press difference between iOS and android for changing wallpaper on a daily basis and "declared " iOS to be inefficient, its quite the juxtaposition to read an argument mounted of how emulation of a hardware function using software is "better"; even though it's inherently more inefficient, more time consuming, more error prone and more to remember.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You replied on the second half of my post which was a workaround and ignored the part of the post where I posted the merits of long press.I clearly stated that the margin of error in activating 3DT is very high compared to long press.And at the same time, it's providing 90% of the same functionality and can actually be customised

Can you guys use 3DT to open a menu so that I don't actually have to hold the icon in place and instead just change the home screens and the quick tap to insert the icon there?

rJOS0ex.png

add-custom-shortcuts-your-quick-settings.w1456.jpg

I constantly use swipes on my iPad.I use the 4 fingers upward swipe for app switcher,the horizontal one for switching to the previous app etc and it worked well.In fact, I found the swipes on iOS more accurate than Android.I dont understand why there are hardly any swipes available on the iPhone

A large chunk of your "Can you use 3dt to do xxx" is actually customization of stock iOS and jailbroken iOS. This just proves that Apple force touch has such splendid potential long press cannot even match no matter how long a user should press. It does not say 3dt is useless, just say it is limited under Apple's hand.

And, long press is naturally more prone to error. If long press just calls up a sub-menu then that's it. With 3dt you can do one more type of action alongside normal tap and long tap.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Literally everyone that I know with a 6S had no idea about 3DT, they gasped when I showed them lol.
That literally petty much doesn't mean anything beyond and anecdotal story essentially.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I am purchasing my iPhone 7 Plus in a week so I should be better positioned to actually personally understand what these iOS advocates mean when they say 3DT is so much superior to an long press

Where is your "proof" of the "margin of error"?
You cant tell me you have always activated the 3D Touch Menu with a 100% success rate.Maintaining the right amount of pressure takes time to get used to and even then some misses still occur during the day.Sometimes I apply less pressure on Apple Watch and it doesnt work

Is long press instant?
No.But is it more reliable as in it will always trigger the intended menu?Hell yeah

Can long press do peek and pop instantly? Can long press open up and email for preview instantly?
No.But Android doesnt need it.Why should it when the live updating widgets are on the home screen previewing email anyway.But thats a point for another topic

Can long press open up the task switcher instantly?
Why use long press when something better exists and which is the pinnacle of being user friendly.A dedicated button on your screen?And if thats isnt enough you can just enable the finger swipe up for app switcher like on iPad.Why should I take the pain of pressing hard on the screen for app switcher when a tap of my finger does it already?(Its also not a physical button I am talking about here)

For someone who was so vocal about the 1 press difference between iOS and android for changing wallpaper on a daily basis and "declared " iOS to be inefficient, its quite the juxtaposition to read an argument mounted of how emulation of a hardware function using software is "better"; even though it's inherently more inefficient, more time consuming, more error prone and more to remember.
Point is Long press is better in the grand scheme of things because

1)Works on hardware from 2012
2)All apps compatible with it
3)It can be used inside an app for more than previews

Its quite telling that out of the laundry list of functions I pointed above you could point out only 2 where 3DT is superior.If implemented across all apps in a proper manner like Android ,3DT has the potential to surpass long press but as it now stands long press is better than 3DT.
[doublepost=1475502957][/doublepost]
Literally everyone that I know with a 6S had no idea about 3DT, they gasped when I showed them lol.
One of my friends actually turned it off from what he tells me(dunno if you can actually turn 3DT off but he claims he did) because 3DT consumes more battery life .No matter how much I tell him he refuses to believe me;p
[doublepost=1475503337][/doublepost]
A large chunk of your "Can you use 3dt to do xxx" is actually customization of stock iOS and jailbroken iOS. This just proves that Apple force touch has such splendid potential long press cannot even match no matter how long a user should press. It does not say 3dt is useless, just say it is limited under Apple's hand.

And, long press is naturally more prone to error. If long press just calls up a sub-menu then that's it. With 3dt you can do one more type of action alongside normal tap and long tap.
I agree with this.3DT has The potential to be better than long press but in its current state its a given that long press is better.And as far as jailbreak goes,thats a completely different ballgame all together.If you are comparing jailbreak potential 3DT functions then long press also has a lot more applications on rooted Android but I believe if jailbreakers ever manage to exploit this 3DT will be superior

Bringing up the menu is the sole function of long press.How it it an error?

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I am purchasing my iPhone 7 Plus in a week so I should be better positioned to actually personally understand what these iOS advocates mean when they say 3DT is so much superior to an long press

You cant tell me you have always activated the 3D Touch Menu with a 100% success rate.Maintaining the right amount of pressure takes time to get used to and even then some misses still occur during the day.Sometimes I apply less pressure on Apple Watch and it doesnt work

No.But is it more reliable as in it will always trigger the intended menu?Hell yeah

No.But Android doesnt need it.Why should it when the live updating widgets are on the home screen previewing email anyway.But thats a point for another topic

Why use long press when something better exists and which is the pinnacle of being user friendly.A dedicated button on your screen?And if thats isnt enough you can just enable the finger swipe up for app switcher like on iPad.Why should I take the pain of pressing hard on the screen for app switcher when a tap of my finger does it already?(Its also not a physical button I am talking about here)

Point is Long press is better in the grand scheme of things because

1)Works on hardware from 2012
2)All apps compatible with it
3)It can be used inside an app for more than previews

Its quite telling that out of the laundry list of functions I pointed above you could point out only 2 where 3DT is superior.If implemented across all apps in a proper manner like Android ,3DT has the potential to surpass long press but as it now stands long press is better than 3DT.
[doublepost=1475502957][/doublepost]
One of my friends actually turned it off from what he tells me(dunno if you can actually turn 3DT off but he claims he did) because 3DT consumes more battery life .No matter how much I tell him he refuses to believe me;p
[doublepost=1475503337][/doublepost]
I agree with this.3DT has The potential to be better than long press but in its current state its a given that long press is better.And as far as jailbreak goes,thats a completely different ballgame all together.If you are comparing jailbreak potential 3DT functions then long press also has a lot more applications on rooted Android but I believe if jailbreakers ever manage to exploit this 3DT will be superior

You can't tell me you have always succeeded with a long press 100% of the time either. But that is where we are into absolutes? Either works 100% or it doesn't work?

Any real proof of the reliability or just your anecdotal response?

In 2016 long press is just outdated and inferior to 3dt.

And you totally ignored the last paragraph in my response, while repeating the same things as-nauseum without any "proof" other than your own experience and your friends..

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Long press has only one dimension: tap somewhere longer than half a second or so. How long does not actually matter unless app can distinguish between 2s long press and 4s long press without triggering 2s long press stuff while actually user want 4s long press stuff.
Bringing up a menu is enough for long press to work. There is nothing wrong with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.