Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
I've read that the iPhone and iPod Touch can't take custom equalizer settings. In iTunes you can assign equalizer presets to specific tracks. On regular iPods, you can apparently set it to the Flat setting and the iPod will use your pre-made preset for each song. But as far as I'm concerned this is not the case on the iPhone or Touch. So what is the point in having a "Flat" setting when it's basically just "Off"?

I also did a test where I made a equalizer preset for one song and basically just turned the bass all the way down and turned the treble all the way up. It wasn't to make it sound good (it didn't) but to see if there was any difference, and there wasn't, on the Flat setting.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
I've read that the iPhone and iPod Touch can't take custom equalizer settings. In iTunes you can assign equalizer presets to specific tracks. On regular iPods, you can apparently set it to the Flat setting and the iPod will use your pre-made preset for each song. But as far as I'm concerned this is not the case on the iPhone or Touch. So what is the point in having a "Flat" setting when it's basically just "Off"?

I also did a test where I made a equalizer preset for one song and basically just turned the bass all the way down and turned the treble all the way up. It wasn't to make it sound good (it didn't) but to see if there was any difference, and there wasn't, on the Flat setting.

With it 'off', there's no equaliser. With 'Flat', the equaliser is on, but not changing anything.

The only difference is that, with it set to 'Flat', the iPod's battery will run down slightly faster. Having the equaliser on (even set to the very pointless 'flat'), uses slightly more power since all the songs have to be processed as they play.

completeidiot23

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2009
and another thing tho, with it flat you can raise the volume of the eq. so your raising all the frequencies together. thus adding an extra volume control.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Does anyone know why the equalizer presets don't work (meaning a different equalizer preset for each song) on iPhone or Touch? From what I've read from Apple, they work on the iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.