Whats the difference between the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrsir2009, Mar 21, 2011.

1. macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'm a long time Mac user - Been using Macs for as long as I've been using computers :)... Anyway, I'm looking to buy an iPhone now, and I'm wondering what the difference is between the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4? And why does Apple sell them BOTH still? They haven't done that with any of their Mac products before.

Thanks!

2. macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

First of all, yes they have. Remember the aluminum MacBook? They sold the white one along with that.

Differences:
    Casing-iPhone 3GS has a plastic casing while the iPhone 4 has a glass/stainless steel casing.
    Antenna-the iPhone 3GS has an internal antenna while the iPhone 4 has an external antenna.
    Gyro-The iPhone 4 has a gyroscope while the iPhone 3GS does not.
    Screen-The iPhone 4 has a hi-res Retina display while the iPhone 3GS does not.
    Camera-the iPhone 4 has a 5mp camera that can record in HD and has a flash. The iPhone 3GS has a 3.2mp camera without a flash.
    Processor: iPhone 4 has an Apple A4 chip while the iPhone 3GS has a 600MHz ARM Cortex A8 chip.

3. macrumors 68020

Reach9

Big difference. If you're looking into buying an iPhone, you should wait 3 more months and get the iPhone 5.
    They sell both of them so people can get a cheaper alternative to the newest device. When the iPhone 5 comes out, the iPhone 4 will become the cheaper one.

Here's a good comparison of them:
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/06/13/iphone-4-vs-iphone-3gs-detailed-specifications-comparison/

4. macrumors 6502

iPhone 3gs vs. iPhone 4

5. macrumors 6502a

mgmusicman94

You forgot the front camera.

6. thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Ah ok, it seems like the iPhone 3GS is like a MacBook while the iPhone 4 is like a MacBook Pro. Got it :D

And yeah, I certainly will wait for the iPhone 5 - I made the mistake when buying my latest iMac and my MBP... :p

7. macrumors 603

Carlanga

if you can wait, get the new one that is supposed to come out around july or get the iPhone 4 at a cheaper price on that same month.