Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
I am looking to get a new monitor (I am using a dinky 15 inch right now). I am looking into a 19 inch widescreen. Any suggestions on companies to buy from?
I have found a bunch of Samsung monitors that are in my price range (around $200-$250).
Any thoughts on these:
Samsung 931BW
Samsung 940BW
Samsung 941BW
What's the difference between these? Which one would you recommend?

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
looking over the specs, nothing jumps out. Looks more like different versions of the same monitor. I'd go with the newegg with the $40 rebate ($177 final).

inputs are the same, also brightness, viewing angle, resolution, etc.

Edit-contrast ratio on the first in 700:1, the others is 500:1

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
I can't tell the difference between the 940 and the 941, however the 931 has a better response time, and looks much sexier.

I own a 940BW and the monitor is pretty good, arrived with no dead pixels picture quality is good. However you should keep these things in mind:
-monitor is extremely bright, i have very sensitive eyes, and i get headaches using this at ZERO brightness
-Power socket is messed up, everytime i try to clean the monitor the power chord will fall out of it's socket
-The Monitor is not adjustable at all (the 931 is)
-The resolution on the 940BW is awkward for High Definition Video. 720p videos must be letterboxed, and 1080i/p will be too large for the screen or will be cropped and letterboxed.
-Sometimes, but very rarely, the backlight flickers when the brightness is set to a very low level.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
for 289, you can get the samsung 20 at newegg and pop your resolution up to 1680x1050. That's quite a bit more real estate.

Joony

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2005
I'm pretty sure you can't find the 931BW anymore in retail stores. It was specially made for Best Buy during the 2006 Black Friday sale. You can buy it on eBay if you really want it.

I personally have the 931BW, but I prefer my older Dell 2005FPW.

Fairly giant pixels for a 19" since is 1440x900. The colors are also a bit funky on my mac, but calibration should take care of it.

If you can afford it, go for the Dell 2007WFP

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
My only worry about buying it from newegg is that if there are any dead pixels, then i can't return it (need to be at least EIGHT).
I was thinking about just buying it from my best buy, so if there were any dead pixels, i could return it.
Also wondering, with all the differences in response time (4 ms, 2ms, etc)- isn't there a certain point where the human eye can no longer discern the difference? Basically, would i regret getting the 940BW with a 4ms response time, instead of getting a monitor with a 2ms response time?

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
My only worry about buying it from newegg is that if there are any dead pixels, then i can't return it (need to be at least EIGHT).
I was thinking about just buying it from my best buy, so if there were any dead pixels, i could return it.
Also wondering, with all the differences in response time (4 ms, 2ms, etc)- isn't there a certain point where the human eye can no longer discern the difference? Basically, would i regret getting the 940BW with a 4ms response time, instead of getting a monitor with a 2ms response time?

You won't notice a difference unless you're a die hard gamer, or someone who watches action movies all the time, and even then it's hard to tell the difference.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
You won't notice a difference unless you're a die hard gamer, or someone who watches action movies all the time, and even then it's hard to tell the difference.

That's all very well and good, but I have a single dead pixel on my Cinema Display, and boy does it annoy me. It's stuck on a single color rather than being dead alltogether - and shines out a nice annoying blue!

I'd rather have the option to take it back...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.