Whats the difference between these two college degrees?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mac000, Oct 14, 2006.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

Hello- I am in the process of changing my college major.

Here is my question though - what is the difference between a COMPUTER INFORMATION SYSTEMS degree and a INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY degree?

I have to transfer to a different college at the same time, and i have been really interested in Arizona State University (I am actually here right now visiting from PA, the campus is AMAZING!). But ASU only offers Computer Information systems.

What is the difference between the two degrees? I would be better off getting a Information Technology major wouldn't I?

Any professionsals out there that can comment?

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

really, you'd be better off asking an academic advisor at ASU. They'll have much more complete information than you're likely to get on here.

Which is not to denigrate anyone else. I'm just saying that the university is going to know how the curriculum compares with your present course of study q.v. what courses will transfer, etc.

3. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

CIS is the business of running stuff...that's all I know. My close friend has a degree in that.

:p

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't think it's going to matter one way or another in terms of employment.

5. YoNeX macrumors regular

YoNeX

Well at our school we have Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Information Systems (well and Bioengineering and Chemical engineering, but they don't really have much to do with our this topic). Pretty much all the CE, CS, and EE majors look down upon all the IS majors because they get away with a major that doesn't require the hard classes like Physics and a lot of upperdivision CS/EE courses. On top of that, many of the people in the College of Engineering hate business majors. So in our school, being an IS major will get you scolded by your Engineering peers. Just a little tdibit :p

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

The campus is pretty awesome. Check out the library (I'm a huge nerd). The entrance to it is two stories underground.

Like others have said, talking to an advisor would be your best bet to see how things transfer over and what the differences are.