Whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by falcon1, Nov 14, 2006.

1. falcon1 macrumors regular

falcon1

What is the difference between republician and democrat? Parts of my family are republician and them other parts are democrat and next year i'll be able to vote and I just want to know what side I support and their outlook on the war in Iraq.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This is a thread I look forward to reading... ;)

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

imo, one of the problems in this country politically is that people easily buy into generalizations about the parties (many of which are propaganda from the other party).

so my advice is to look at individual candidates, learn their views, and assess how much they coincide with your own. then vote for a candidate, not a particular party.

4. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

what he said, but avoid the republican one :)

5. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Have you been in a cave, on a desserted island the past 90 days?

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The word republican stems from the latin, publi. It means "a hypocritical, religious, gutter dweller". Republican quite obviously then, means "a pig who returns again and again to the trough in an attempt at finding spiritual and physical fulfillment even though he's already sated."

The word democrat also has its roots in the latin word, demo. Which means for the good of all. Democrat in the modern usage, of course means those who show selfless devotion to all regardless of who they are.

BV, was this the type of response you were looking for?:D

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

From an Aussie's point of view:

One's a donkey, the other's an elephant.

Or, if you believe Family Guy...

One's a donkey, the other is a big fat white guy who's frightened of change.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

republicans are realists
    democrats are idealists

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Meet the new boss,
    same as the old boss.

the who

10. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

<iraq_war>
    </iraq_war>

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Parts of me are Republican and parts are Democrat too. This is why I walk so funny.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

left, right, left, right, left, right...

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Two men were walking down the street. One was a prominent Democrat, the other a staunch Republican. They pass by a homeless person who was begging for change. The Republican dug in his pocket and gave the man 5 bucks and his business card.

"come in on Thursday and we'll give you an interview" the Republican said.

The Democrat was impressed. Fifteen minutes later they came upon a different homeless man who was begging for money. So the Democrat dug in the Republican's pocket and pulled out a $20. :D

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

To the OP: somehow, I don't think the answers in this thread will leave you any the wiser. From a European perspective, Republicans are far right, Democrats are centre right, in the broad sweep of things. Both appear to be in hock to the moneybags due to the enormous cost of elections.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Think Steve Martin in "All of Me."

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Republicans are evil bastards, democrats slightly less so.

To put it in a slightly less lurid manner:

The left:

Government should do what benefits everyone the most through welfare, that way the population is in a better state to work as efficiently as possible, the rich who are already minted anyway support those who need it via higher tax and welfare for the poor. the economy is to be controlled and no business should be allowed to dominate, this keeps competition healthy and restricts growth to a healthy maintainable level and stops the "boom then bust" effects of a free market.

The right:

Government should be kept as small as possible and perform the bare necessities, tax should be kept as low as possible so the economy can prosper freely, the market should be free and run it's own course as capitalism will keep things going.

The bad parts:

The left:

The left can sometimes make government too big and too controlling and bureaucratic, people often criticise the left for "wasting tax payers money".

The right:

They tend to be more in the pocket of the big corporations, they want a free market so that big business can dominate crush the little guy, a free market economy often ends up with a corrupt monopoly, the right also has more religious ties so tends to be against LGBT rights abortion and other things. they also cut welfare and make it far more difficult if one hits hard times, they spend more money on defence and squander it on religious programs ect so tax is rarely cut as they claim it will be.

Overall I lean to the left, but I respect the side of the right that stands for freedom from government, This is a rare side to see from the right wing in it's current incarnation but it's one they claim to and I don't contest it's validity, while I'm against guns in general I completely support the right to bare arms and form a militia, no government can control 300 million Americans with guns, America's gun problems are not to do with gun control, Canada has similar laws but no such problems.

When it comes down to it, most if not all politicians are in someone's pocket and most lie through their teeth, trust no one and vote with as much knowledge as possible, both parties often go against their root tenants regularly, it's a real mess.

Oh and sorry for the editing, I'm typing this two meters away from a 15" ASD while in bed with the keyboard on an extension lead, I can just about make out text on screen but it's tricky, this post is probably still riddled with typo's which I'll clean up tomorrow.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

In a nutshell. :)

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You guys are hilarious. :D

To the OP, you could choose to register as an Independent, but you would not be able to vote in either party's primary.

If you choose one or the other you can always vote for the other party's candidate in an election. My mother was a registered Republican and my father was a registered Democrat at one time.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

21. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

In Texas, you are only registered for two years. You come up to participate in either primary (open primaries) you get your card stamped, or they write your name down and put it in a database saying you're a registered X___________________. Suck it up for two years. After that, the slate is clean. Go raid another primary :D

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And after the interview the Republican said, "Sorry, you're not qualified, but thanks for coming in."

The Democrat then used the $20 and matched it with his own $20 along with many from others to get the homeless man job training so he could get the job with the Republican's firm.

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Then the Republican shot them both.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You can say that with a straight face after six years of people who think tax cuts + deficit spending = a balanced budget? People who think the United States is still winning the war? People who think the way to lower the number of unwanted babies is to decrease the use of birth control?