whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by puckhead193, Nov 10, 2004.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    As the holiday season approaches i was on apple's website looking at software. I was looking at motion and watching the tutorials on it, it looks pretty easy to use and its only $300. So a fig this could be a cool gift. But then I remembered that i'm a student and i can get a discount. The price for "motion academic" is only $200. but it says academic. Then i was like lets see if i get real creedy and look at the "Production Suite Academic" is only $500 and i get motion, FCP and DVD studio pro! Besides it being cheaper is there any limitation/difference between the the nomral production suite and the academic one/motion?

If there is no difference and I get my parents to agree to it, will my pb be able to run these apps? Cause $500/$200 is alot (+ i have an eye on a new digital SLR, for "family pictures" :p ...so
  2. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2003
    West Virginia
    Yes, any Mac available on Apple's website will able to run it. :rolleyes:
  3. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Have you read the recommended set up to run apps like Motion? Even the minimum requirements are pretty steep :rolleyes:

Answering your questions, there is no difference between the academic versions and 'full' versions of the Production Suite, apart from only being able to use the apps for non-commercial projects I think.

Your PB will be able to run these apps fairly well. Well enough to use the apps but they certainly won't be zippy and you'll have to be patient at times! Keep in mind these are pro apps, so the learning curve is pretty steep - regardless of how easy it looks in video demos! ;) Plus you'll have to invest in things like a video camera, scratch disk etc to get the most out of the apps.

You might want to think about Final Cut Express if you want to dip your feet in video production.
  4. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Saw review of Motion on MacAddict today, Motion Review. He highly suggests running it on a dual G5 to get the most from the app.
  5. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2003
    I'm not too pleased that my DP G4 1.25 MDD won't run Motion. Need a better video card than the Radeon 9000 I think, plus Panther (I have jaguar :mad: ). With the exchange rate, it would cost about $500 for a suitable video card plus the OS, which is about to be replaced by Tiger. Already have a gig of ram.

System Requirements
    867MHz PowerPC G4 based Power Mac or faster. (Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 or faster recommended for real-time interactivity)
    Mac OS X, v10.3.5 or higher
    QuickTime 6.5.1 or higher
    Graphics display with 1024-by-768-pixel resolution or higher (1280-by-1024-pixel resolution recommended)
    512MB of RAM (2GB or more recommended for real-time interactivity)
    10GB hard disk for application software, Templates and Tutorial media.

One of the following graphics card
    ATI Radeon 9800 XT
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    ATI Radeon 9600 XT
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra
    NVIDIA GeForceFX Go 5200
    NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra